Looking for suggestions for bedding compound... dolphinite?

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Pacific Seacraft Orion27 HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
This is for bedding plastic base Perko nav lights on my teak bowsprit... which I am stripping and refinising now.

Lifecaulk says "not for plastic" 4400 seems a bit overkill. Dolphinite was suggested, but seems more like a wood to wood joint compound.

The light does get the occasional wave, so waterproof is key.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I am not sure you need to “bed”them as much as seal them. Butyl is used where a flexible, water-resistant joint is needed between fixtures and the deck to prevent water infiltration into the deck.
It sounds like you need to seal the lights. Most lights I have dealt with are either sealed or have a foam-rubber gasket between the base and the mount surface. I am not sure how butyl will perform on wood. You kight be better served with some rubber gaskets.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
These DO need sealing... the back of these is wide open, right up against the teak.

Pretty flimsy for what is no doubt an expensive fixture. But then, they have lasted 38 years. GRIN

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Since you have them off anyway, time to upgrade to LED fixtures and drastically reduce your AMPS draw.
Honestly thought about it... SeaDog has some nice 2nm LEDs for a decent $80 that would look as good as those outrageous Perko lights. Not sure about the mounting though, so sent them an email.

The life, the sealing, and the higher brightness, and lower current draw fully justify them.

Seadog 400079 series... if anyone is curious.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
The funny thing about the Perko is they are so damn expensive... chrome plated brass... but the actual electrical connection is a crappy plated copper clip.

Chrome over brass that expensive???

Aug 3, 2012
I have the Seadog sidemount LEDs. The body is somewhat sealed, but the electronics are encased in epoxy. I had one burn out, and seadog sent me a new set.
By the way, yours seem to have a rubber base. Perhaps you only need to seal the wire opening?
I would get the LEDs!
5D946119-9AAD-440E-828C-98FA99FC0087.jpeg

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I have the Seadog sidemount LEDs. The body is somewhat sealed, but the electronics are encased in epoxy. snip
Interesting - I have purchased LED nav lights from Aqua Signal and Hella, and they were also potted. Frankly they looked like they might have all been made in the same Chinese factory. The construction details and design features were very similar.

Aug 3, 2012
The cover removes, and the base screws to the boat with 2, I think, #8 screws. The base has a foam-rubber gasket. Then the cover screws back on. You need a small hole for the wires underneath.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Aug 3, 2012
Good point. If I were doing it on wood, perhaps mount them to a piece of wood or starboard or g-10 that you could then mount to your bowsprit. That way you do not permanently change your bowsprit. You would then be able to rout out a channel in the mounting material.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Genec, the lights might not work for you.

They are designed to be attached to a deck. A hole through the deck to run the wires. Two holes to screw the unit to the deck. Use butyl to wrap the screws and prevent moisture from entering the deck. Use a dab of 4400 to seal up the hole for the wires. Go inside the boat and 2 heatshrink butt connectors to make the electrical connections. It is a straight forward task.

Providing a picture of your boat's teak where you want to attach your lights would help some of us visualize your challenge.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Very likely several "right" answers, but for sealing/adhering all plastic parts we have used "LifeSeal" for over 20 years. SS parts too, FWIW.