Looking for info on Bradenton, Florida, USA

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
Hey All!

I am planning a trip to the Bradenton area late this year, early next year. I'm looking for advice on places to anchor or stay overnight. I've searched and found the commercial marinas, so am looking for the hidden gems and favorite places, preferably from people who have been there done that. I think a good range between ~27*00N (Venice) and 28*30N (Bayport) would be do able.

Also, if you have suggestions on a secure place to leave the truck and trailer that is near a boat ramp in the area, that would be great too.

I'll be in my Mac 26D so I have draft between 18" and 36" and can handle pretty skinny water.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Do you for sure want to go in there? I'd recommend also looking at the Charlotte Harbor Bay area. Lots of opportunities there. How long will you be in the water? Most of the public ramps don't allow overnight parking I believe. If that is the case see if you could find someplace within a short distance from the ramp where you could park for free or at a low cost.

If in the water for a while you might consider ....

http://www.safecoveinc.com/

Not sure what their rates are now but we paid $75 for a month storage some years back for the Suburban and trailer. Only negative is that you spend a half day getting out the canal system to Charlotte Harbor and back in again. A plus is that the water in and out is mostly fresh water so you flush the outboard to some degree.

Here are three trip reports on sailing that area with a Mac 26S ...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor-trips-1/macgregor-trips-1-index.html

Sumner
=====================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Skipper Bob cruising guide have all the info for west coast Florida and I use it to cruise up and down the west coast of Florida.
It has every possible anchorage and Marina and bridge info,around $15.00 I think search internet for best price and if you plan doing more trips in future it is well worth the $$$$.
Nick

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
+1 for Charlotte Harbor, and all the surrounding area. We go there regularly, just got back last night in fact. :)

If you decide to go there, consider Laishley Park Marina as a place to launch. It's our go-to place. It's close to I-75, great ramp, free parking (no security, but it's a nice neighborhood), SUPER nice staff, good restaurant on site, with more restaurants and bars in walking distance. Slips (should you want one) are scarce and generally need to be reserved well in advance, but there are plenty of mooring balls. No freshwater hose to rinse your trailer, but there's a car wash a couple blocks away.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Hey All!

I am planning a trip to the Bradenton area late this year, early next year. I'm looking for advice on places to anchor or stay overnight. I've searched and found the commercial marinas, so am looking for the hidden gems and favorite places, preferably from people who have been there done that. I think a good range between ~27*00N (Venice) and 28*30N (Bayport) would be do able.

Also, if you have suggestions on a secure place to leave the truck and trailer that is near a boat ramp in the area, that would be great too.

I'll be in my Mac 26D so I have draft between 18" and 36" and can handle pretty skinny water.
You mentioned that you wished to anchor out and perhaps slip at some of those commercial marinas you've looked at. But given you tagged the Bradenton area, let's start there. There is a ramp on the Bradenton River, although you might not be able w/mast up to get under the bridge-ways across the Manatee River leading to lower Tampa Bay and into the Gulf. There are two marinas, however, just downstream of the bridges where you might step your mast b/f continuing. The north-side one, Regatta Pointe, is a very nice one where we've spent many nights in our 11 yr of cruising SW Florida. Near the river mouth on the south side there is the De Soto Pt. anchorage; a scenic, quiet, and secure anchorage, but one that can get roughed up a bit in strong NW-NE winds. If that happens, you can cross to the north side of the river and anchor at Snead Island where you'll likely see other boats. It's not as nice as De Soto but more comfortable in those conditions. Go ashore easily by dink at De Soto National Memorial and visit the park or walk along the nice beach there. The Memorial features the landing of Hernando De Soto in 1539 and recounts his travails in Florida.

After that--north or south?--it depends on your time frame. If south, exit the Manatee River and enter the ICW over the "bulkhead" at Anne Maria Island to Mar Vista or Moore's at Longboat Key just south of Longboat Pass. Anchor and go ashore to visit one of the restaurants there, and walk across to the Gulf beaches. Next continue down the ICW into Sarasota Bay where you can (or once could) anchor the night comfortably at a "gem" called Otter Key which is behind Armand's Circle and on the way out Big Sarasota Pass. Off to the west at Otter Key there is a bridge beneath which you can land your dink (you'll see others there) and climb to the street and then walk the short distance into the Circle. Lot's of fun. For sailing next leg, exit Big Sarasota Pass and sail to Venice where you can reenter the ICW, otherwise you're committed to Boca Grande, or further, to enter Pine Island Sound and the Charlotte Harbor area. There's a free overnight stop at Venice called Higel Park where you might be able to tie up. Once inside Pine Island Sound, it's worth it to anchor at Useppa Island, but you might not be able to go ashore there. Dink across the ICW and visit the world famous Cabbage Key, etc.

If north, then you might visit the Terra Ceia Preserve State Park just north of the Manatee River. Very secluded in there; no facilities. Following that, cross over lower Tampa Bay and anchor at Egmont Key which is OK in mild conditions and westerly breezes, but is not too wonderful with much wind from north to east. Dink ashore and visit the old lighthouse at the park. Nice walks along that beach. You can cross the Egmont Channel and with your shallow draft go right over the shoals at the north side, up the Gulf to North Pass at Pass-a-Grille where you can enter the ICW and the protected waters around Tierra Verde and other spots. There is much to see and do back there. For example, make your way up to a nice anchorage behind the Don CeSar Hotel where you can dink ashore and visit the sights there. It's a bit of a pot hole, and gets very thin going in at low tide, especially spring tide. There's much more; I might give another "installment" later. Perhaps if you had some actual questions about places you might get more useful information.

KG

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
Hey All!

Thanks so much for the great responses. I've had some stuff come up and won't be able to make the trip this year. I hope to make it later or next year at the latest.

The responses have been great and given me a lot of very useful information. It's even better than what I had hoped for when I made the original post.

In addition to the trip planning I've also learned that I'm missing some key skills, so although I'm disappointed I won't get to go as soon as I had hoped, I now have a list of other things to practice or setup on the boat.

Thanks again for all the great responses!

Wm