Looking for ideas on installing a 2nd water tank on my 1984 H31

Reg M

May 21, 2016
Hunter 31 Montague
Hi all - I am looking for any ideas/suggestion on where to put a second water tank on my 84 H31. I am thinking about installing a 30 gal tank right in the stern aft of the quarter berth since the mattress stops about 3 feet short of the transom. My only concern is this much weight that far aft might have a serious effect on my speed. Even though it would only be used while on 2 or 3 week cruises I don't want to put the brakes on too hard. Any thought/ideas would be gratfully accepted. Reg

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Reg,

I have a 1983 H31, my PO had a maybe twenty gallon plastic extra water tank in the area under the aft starboard settee. It made sense because the main water tank is aft and port. The tank had been there for a while and it developed a leak so we removed. It would seem to me under that setee would be a good place to put a bladder tank for use when doing those longer cruises. Just a thought.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I intend to put one under the V-berth, where the current holding tank is, once I rip out the holding tank, the macerator, the associated plumbing and vent lines, and the head. Going to a dessicating toilet.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Reg, the 34 has a 30 gallon tank in exactly the location you are considering. It does slow the boat a little when it is full, so most folks don't normally keep it full. The selector valve is next to the pump .. it makes for a tidy and easily managed system that can be filled only when contemplating longer cruises..

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
If it is just for a trip or two why don't you carry two 5-6 gallons water cans tied to the to the stanchions. I understand the tank could be empty the rest of the time but I would not welcome the re-commissioning and maintenance not to mention the plumbing that goes with the installation.

Reg M

May 21, 2016
Hunter 31 Montague
Reg, the 34 has a 30 gallon tank in exactly the location you are considering. It does slow the boat a little when it is full, so most folks don't normally keep it full. The selector valve is next to the pump .. it makes for a tidy and easily managed system that can be filled only when contemplating longer cruises..
Can you give me an idea of approximately how much it slows you down when the extra tank is full, ie; at a normal speed of say 5 kts, would it reduce you to 4 kts?