Registered users don't see ads

looking for Barlow 16 chrome winch

Discussion in 'Parts Search' started by ancbob, Nov 26, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. ancbob

ancbob

Joined Jan 2, 2013
    66 posts, 3 likes
    Catalina 22
    I am trying to locate a mate for the winch shown below.

barlow 16.jpg

2. Rick D

Rick D

Joined Jun 14, 2008
    6,662 posts, 200 likes
    Hunter Legend 40.5
    US Long Beach, Shoreline Marina, CA
    Try Minney's Marine Surplus. I was there recently and I would guess they have 100 winches.

Dave Groshong likes this.
  3. Joe

Joe

Joined Jun 1, 2004
    6,621 posts, 396 likes
    Catalina 27
    US Mission Bay, San Diego
    You can be more specific if you like... I have this pair of 2 speed Barlow 18 standards. Standard meaning "not self tailing." I used them for my halyard winches, mounted on the cabin roof of my Catalina 27. They are in excellent condition... regularly serviced. The gear ratios are 1:1 and 3:1.... which makes them quicker than the standard 2:1 single speeds... very versatile. If you want more power, use a 10 inch handle. They are perfect as primary winches for boats under 25 feet.

You can make me an offer, but I will only sell them as a pair. I also have a similar condition pair of Barlow 24's..... std, two speed, chrome over bronze. That is overkill for a 22 footer.

I replaced them 2 years ago with a pair of Lewmar 16 ST single speeds, and a pair of Lewmar 30 ST two speeds... Since the new winches were so damn expensive, even on sale, I envisioned re installing the Barlows and selling the Lewmar Self tailers separately if I had trouble getting a good price for my boat. It is nearly impossible to find modern... USED.... self tailing winches.

Attached Files:

4. Al Schober

Al Schober

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    72 posts, 54 likes
    former Tartan 30
    41971 US now in Rockland, ME
    The old bronze winches are always in demand. My Tartan 30 originally had Barient 16s as primary winches. I upgraded to Lewmar 40STs, and sold the Barients on eBay - went to a left coast guy who was going to put them on a Ranger 23! In my book, good choice. BTW, the Barients weighed more than the Lewmars.

5. Ron20324

Ron20324

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    6,707 posts, 798 likes
    Beneteau 323
    US Annapolis MD
    Dang! I forgot you said chrome. BaconSails.com had a not-chrome one. Kind of a gold/bronze finish to it.

6. ancbob

ancbob

Joined Jan 2, 2013
    66 posts, 3 likes
    Catalina 22
    thanks for all of the input. I located two that filled the bill on ebay.

jssailem likes this.

Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.