Looking for advice before purchasing O'Day25

Sep 11, 2017
O'Day O'Day25 Saugatuck
Small boat sailer considering purchasing a 1977 O'Day 25 from owner in Saugatuck, MI. I live in Evanston, just north of Chicago and sail out of Wilmette Harbor. Wondering if another O'Day 25 owner in the Chicago area would care to share their experience with the boat and perhaps let me look it over first hand. Would be most appreciative.

Jim Kauffman

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Check ALL deck penetrations. Check the bulkheads, deck at mast step, and the toe rails. Notoriously leaky areas. Plenty of information out there on the issues these boats have over the years and the cost and work people have had to do to make them ready to sail. I am sure work doesn't scare anyone, but, why would you work on a boat and spend $$ on constant upkeep when you can go another route and sail instead?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I would push on the bulkheads above and around the chain plates on both sides. My outside layer, which I think is teak laminate, looked good visually, but the starboard was rotted at the top to the first bolt. The best fix is remove and replace, but for us I first sealed the chainplates then dried out the wood for several weeks with a space heater and used penetrating epoxy in the wood. I added a stainless steel backing plate on the washer side that extended 12" into the bulkhead and added 2 additional bolts. It is very solid right now, but I would not push my luck with any hard sailing and check them every time we go out until I can replace the bulkhead this winter.

Also check the base of the bulkhead on the Port side by the head and the base of the compression post.

Sep 11, 2017
O'Day O'Day25 Saugatuck
Thanks for your cautions cb and John. I plan to have a survey done before I commit anything. John, would you be available for more discussion about your O'Day 25 by phone?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Sure message me a number. Keep in mind that CB actually had his O'day for 3 years too and others here even longer. I got lucky with my boat as it has been in the same lake and area since new and was relatively well taken care of.

Capri

Jul 28, 2012
O'day 22 Nashville
Check mast step area for compression on deck of boat. I'm repairing mine now. The deck dips down slightly around the mast indicating core rot. Also check the bow where the plate attaches to the forestay. If the plate is separating from deck, there may be rot there also. I had to place an aluminum backing plate underneath to reinforce. That's not a fun project. Run water over the windows and check for leaks. I had to rebed mine.

sdstef

Jan 31, 2013
Hunter 28 Branched Oak Lake
I had an Oday 25, 1977 model and a tandem axle trailer. The only problem was with the chain plate leaking and it rotted out the bulkheads . They can be replaced, if your a handy woodworker, and not too expensive. Also the outboard motor mounts have been problematic leaking through and rotting out the transom plywood, which is a bigger job to repair than it looks. My windows leaked, but I re-bedded them, an easy fix. When I launched it off the trailer, the first time, the cb pendent line had rotted out, and the board fell down between the trailer cross members and the boat became stuck on the trailer, I got it up with a exterior line, but to replace it, will need to get the boat way up off the trailer. Good luck. In my opinion, if your some what mechanical, you can inspect the boat with out a surveyor. If the mast is down, you can easily inspect all the standing rigging etc. Unless you are getting the model with the inboard diesel, and have a toilet with all the related plumbing and tanks and also shore power with all of that electrical stuff, they are a very very basic entry level boat. They are not very fast, but very forgiving. They are roomy for a 25 footer, but have low head room. I moved up to a bigger boat for the head room mostly.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I've been enjoying my 1980 O'day 25 for 5 seasons. I was lucky that mine had dry decks and bulkheads but I did do a lot of potting holes and then re-bedding hardware to keep it that way.
My biggest problem was with leaks at damaged rub rail where the base had been crushed and pieces were missing. I too had to reseal the ports but I didn't take them out, just resealed with the sealant recommended for installing the windows.

I was lucky to find mine in good shape with little done to it as far as upgrades. Not a lot of holes drilled into it and even the cushions are original and in good shape.

I like the simple systems. I don't use the on board water, electric is simple, only 1 thru hull for sink drain and having an outboard helps to keep it simple.

I think the boat sails well and with the shoal keel I don't worry much about skinny water. Some have trouble with the centerboard sticking in the up position. On mine I found the clevis pin in the shackle had been replaced with one slightly too long. Once I found that and replaced with one of the correct length, my CB works fine.

Sep 11, 2017
O'Day O'Day25 Saugatuck
My cell number is 312-961-1162. Thanks, John (and any others who have suggestions/cautions/etc.).

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Hey Jim been dealing with post storm issues I can call you tonight

Sep 11, 2017
O'Day O'Day25 Saugatuck
John,
Just saw your message. Call me whenever you get a chance. I appreciate that you may have other priorities at this time!
Jim