Looking for a Former Hunter Employee

Feb 28, 2017
Hunter Alura Islip, NY
Hello Guys,

Does anyone know anyone that used to work for Hunter? I own a 1989 Alura 30 where I need a Builders Certificate form filled out by a former employee proving that the boat was built in the USA. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Pat

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Hello Guys,

Does anyone know anyone that used to work for Hunter? I own a 1989 Alura 30 where I need a Builders Certificate form filled out by a former employee proving that the boat was built in the USA. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Pat
Pat, that could be difficult since at that time, Mainship was a separate organization under Luhrs as best I can recall. I doubt any past Hunter employee will be helpful. Have you contacted Marlow directly to see if they have any carry-over records?
http://www.marlow-pilot.com/

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Hi Pat, you're looking for someone from Luhrs which was in St. Augustine, a separate plant from Hunter. Not sure who that would be, although there is a very active Mainship forum over on Yahoo that may be able to point you in the right direction.

Feb 28, 2017
Hunter Alura Islip, NY
Hi Pat, you're looking for someone from Luhrs which was in St. Augustine, a separate plant from Hunter. Not sure who that would be, although there is a very active Mainship forum over on Yahoo that may be able to point you in the right direction.
Thanks Phil. I guess I will give that a shot...

Pat

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Just a thought. For Coast Guard certification of hulls, they have to go thru testing. The numbers assigned of course would indicate manufacturer, model, year built/model year. Not sure if there is anything to glean from that as your hull number would be an assigned CG hull number? In addition, each company is incorporated in the U.S. somewhere and you can always get that information on line from that state agency corporation commission. Just a thought

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
If the boat was ever documented the Coast Guard should have a copy of the builders certificate.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Just a thought. For Coast Guard certification of hulls, they have to go thru testing. The numbers assigned of course would indicate manufacturer, model, year built/model year. Not sure if there is anything to glean from that as your hull number would be an assigned CG hull number? In addition, each company is incorporated in the U.S. somewhere and you can always get that information on line from that state agency corporation commission. Just a thought
Europe does this, but the USA does not. The USCG does NOT certify hulls of recreational vessels. Never has. They might visit and help you with meeting regs (like lights) but nothing more.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Jackdaw;
Which federal agency has the task to test hulls and who actually authorizes the hull numbering to commence. I know it is someone and heard Coast Guard mentioned. I will check with a mfg. whom I know.

Feb 28, 2017
Hunter Alura Islip, NY
Recreational Documented Vessels don't need builders information, just commercially documented vessels. The HIN number won't help me.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I was getting some information to respond. I do not have all the information as yet. First as I understand, NMMA, has for lack of terms a manual with all the required certifications thru I think a certification department. That being said, I was waiting on a response from a large sailboat manufacturer.
As for smaller sailboats under 20 feet, there are certifications from the Coast Guard requiring floatation guidelines. I think that applies for small power boats as well. There is a group that goes out and buys on the spot for example new power boats with too large engines testing them for compliance for the Coast Guard. If a manufacturer takes a new small powerboat up for testing by the Coast Guard and exceeds minimal requirements, they get a what is called a green folder which can be used in advertising stating that fact basically. In addition, I know that insurance companies are not going to insure sailboats unless they meet certain requirements for liability insurance.
All I was trying to do is make a suggestion but at this point, not sure. However I do have one fellow I can ask and if any help, I will respond back.
In the corporation before the bankruptcy, there were four companies under one group. Hunter was the only sailboat company so they cannot help. Not sure on this but I heard possibly David Marlow bought Mainship as well. It would be worth a call to David Marlow. Maybe he can help.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
PilotPat24
Originally the Alura 30 was built at Hunter and then went to Mainship in St. Augustine, FL.
I have a brochure but for some reason I cannot upload the 6 page document. I will be glad to help you further but will need to talk with you as I do have a name that might help. Can you send me your contact information to include phone number a good email which to send the attached brochure which does have the Hunter address on it.
Crazy Dave Condon

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
So you were able to find a former employee that was willing to fill out a builder's certificate? Dave, you are amazing.