Looking at the Farr 25. Too much boat for a novice sailor?

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
The Figaro was designed to single hand if I am not mistaken. Figaro 2 are now becoming available as they are "obsolete" with the introduction of the Figaro 3

Jul 22, 2018
Beneteau Figaro and Platu Toronto
I have the first edition with running back stays
They quickly shortened the mast and made one regular backstay as they lost too many masts and they were difficult to sail solo
I also do not have the water ballast tanks as the previous owner removed them for W/L racing so the boat is a little tender especially upwind but it is deadly in under 10 knots of wind
Would love to pick up a fig2
I believe there is one for sale on the west coast

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Hanging in
Had a wild Saturday sail
Tiller fell of the Platu in 25! Knot winds and huge waves lol
I broke a tiller on BlueJ at the extender joint last fall in a race. Had to steer the boat sitting INSIDE the cockpit. Was a very strange experience. Never steer like that that upwind. Ever.

Then interestingly enough, a friend reported that they broke their tiller at the extender on Saturday in the ChiMac while driving into the shit. Managed to jury-rig it with some duct-tape.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I own a license and plans to build a Merlin Rocket, such a beautiful little racing dinghy from the UK. I knew going into it that its a 2 person crew but I figured it was possible to rig it for single handing. The designer actually drew up plans for a near similar hull that is in fact designed for his own solo training, but its just not as pretty. If I can't figure out how to rig the Rocket for solo then I will just have to find a reliable and enthusiastic crew mate. I would defer to Jackdaw on these questions as his experience and insight into racing is far deeper than mine, but I would guess that just about any race boat under 30 feet can be rigged accordingly and fly a very conservative amount of canvas to be handled solo. The question is, how intensive are those rigging changes and how much cost and effort is required to switch between crewed and solo modes? I have a distinct feeling its not a very advantageous transformation to regularly perform.
BTW, I finally got my CNC Router kit and I will be setting up this winter to cut my 'kit' for the Merlin Rocket. I am eyeball deep is gutting and resurfacing the concrete floor of my shop, a full blown remodel really. Oh yeah, and still not done restoring the C22... I really DONT need another boat project at the moment, LOL.

Jul 22, 2018
Beneteau Figaro and Platu Toronto
I broke a tiller on BlueJ at the extender joint last fall in a race. Had to steer the boat sitting INSIDE the cockpit. Was a very strange experience. Never steer like that that upwind. Ever.

Then interestingly enough, a friend reported that they broke their tiller at the extender on Saturday in the ChiMac while driving into the shit. Managed to jury-rig it with some duct-tape.
All I had left was the rudder post lol