Looking at a 28 this weekend

Jul 18, 2015
Hunter 340 Rogersville, AL
I sold my trailer sailor and am now on the road to buying a larger boat. There is a 1983 Oday 28 for sale near me and I am going to check it out on Friday. I know the standard items to check such as: rigging, soft spots, engine condition, etc. What about Oday specific stuff that is known to be an issue? Especially the 28? I appreciat the help.

Jul 18, 2015
I will definitely be checking the mast base above the bilge after reading through some of the threads on here.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I can't help with your questions on Odays specifically, but I recently went from a trailer sailor to a 30'er. You will love the space! More expensive to own though. Good luck! I'll be interested in seeing how this comes out.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
What about Oday specific stuff that is known to be an issue? Especially the 28?
I will definitely be checking the mast base above the bilge after reading through some of the threads on here.
I think you're on the right track. ITWMB, I'd so an advanced search on this forum for "O'Day+28" and then I'd use the POWER of Google search, both custom for this website and then a global Google search which will find posts on other boating forums.

Good luck, nice boat.

Jul 18, 2015
I have exhausted most of Goolge results and am working my way through a few more posts from this site. Google doesn't always render a result without a keyword. It was just happenstance that I saw the post about the mast. I just like to ask because sometimes there is a topic that doesn't make it to the interwebs.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Practical Sailor doesn't have a review of a 28, but there is one on about the same vintage 30. They have many good things to say about build quality and handling. Nothing stood out as a problem unique to Oday. Actually, they don't describe any problems, just a few quirky preferences.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
We had a 1985 28 for 29 years and had no major problems that you wouldn't expect in a boat of its age. Areas that I'd pay extra attention to are the cockpit sole under the helm, fuel tank, water heater, and deck around the forward lower shrouds.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
The O'Day 28 is a great boat! We have one at our club in Wichita and she sails like a dream. The main salon is like a ball room. The one at our club still has the tiller although the original owner was about to switch it to a wheel when they ended up
getting into golf instead of sailing. The owner left but the 28 is still here. The 28 has Navtec rod rigging and is built hell for stout. Has some oil-canning if the rigging is set up too tight. The mast is keel stepped. Good luck!

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
Hire a surveyor. Yes it's expensive but he'll probably find things you wouldn't which you can use to lower the price. Most importantly you will learn about the boat by being there when he does the survey and maybe learn that the money you spent on a surveyor helped you avoid buying a money pit. Never buy a boat without a sea trial.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
keel step, yep Good find. Keel is encapsulated. Check for any cracks that may indicate water intrusion, also signs of grounding or poor storage would be in the back of the keel pushing up into the hull.
What engine? Hot water, and even the shore power was optional.
We also have soft cockpit seats due to mainsail track.

Jul 18, 2015
He has a recent survey on the boat. Yes, sea trial to take place. Boat no longer has hot water due to owner removing leaky heater. M 15 powerplant (5411 same thing). I plan to spend quality time going through everything with a friend who used to be a surveyor. I will check the traveler bases to see if they need rebedding.

May 17, 2004
Keel is encapsulated. Check for any cracks that may indicate water intrusion, also signs of grounding or poor storage would be in the back of the keel pushing up into the hull.
By 1983 the keel might have been external bolted on lead. I know it was that way in 85.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
T,
You mentioned a recent survey. I wonder why the survey was initiated. Another interested buyer gave it to the owner when they decided not to buy.

Good you have a friend to go along. A good friend will help keep you pragmatic in a time your vulnerable.

Best of luck in finding your future boat.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
Many, if not all require a survey. It is possible that being an old boat, the insurance company required it. Has happened to me twice.

Nov 30, 2009
Oday 28 Lake Michigan
Have owned, ODay 22, 25, Catalina 27, then my current Oday 28. Obviously I am a ODay fan, but think I have some good reasons to like the manufacturer, and
Overall: Even as a 80's boat it looks reasonably current., up-to-date. Not modern, like a Star Wars Storm Trooper, but not Cape Dory traditional either. It is a traditional overall layout, but modest modern look.
Decks: Side decks are very wide. Easy and safe to move forward at the dock or underway. I have 5 grown children with spouses and children. They spend as much time underway sitting on the deck as they do sitting in the cockpit. It is just that comfortable and secure. The cabin dog house is in good proportion to the rest of the boat. It is easy to step up onto, and down from, again while at the dock and underway. Although modest in its height, it gives 6ft head room below. And when fitted with a dodger, it still allow quick and easy room to pass by , moving to the bow. The coaming in the cockpit is also a nice size. Good for sitting comfort while in the cockpit, but easy to traverse while moving to the deck.
Interior: I have read numerous ODay 28 reviews that refer to the main cabin as a ballroom, and if I had to pick a word to describe the main cabin I would say, it fells like a ballroom. Everyone who has entered this boat has said, WOW!!!! THis thing is huge. The vee is a bit narrow, but will fit two. The opposing settees are both proper bunks, without "converting a dinette". PS: most dinettes, on boats I've seen, are pretty flimsy. The quart berth is truly useable, and is actually the best bunk on the boat. It is wide, easy to get in and out of and is physically separated by a cabinet from the settee in front of it.
Sailing: sails nice. It is not a racer. I think the Catalina 27 sailed a bit nicer, but that was the only advantage of the Catalina had over the Oday.
Isuues: This boat can be "wet". Not while sailing, but rather leaks. Look at the vee. If the wall carpet is black stained (especially in the very vee of the cabin), that is the deck hardware leaking. And this is common on these boats. Look at the carpeting on the side wall of the quart berth. If it is black stained, that is the genoa track leaking. Again, common on this boat.
What are my feeling on my ODay 28? I love this boat. Someone earlier said they owned thiers for 29 years. I can totally understand why. This is a big boat in a mid-size boat package.

May 17, 2004
Someone earlier said they owned thiers for 29 years. I can totally understand why.
That was me, and I agree with your assessment. Although to be precise it was my parents who bought it when I was 3. I was on it most summer weekends until they traded it to move up to a Beneteau 37. My son turned 3 just before the trade. If O'Day were still in business I would've been happy to stay in the brand for another generation.

Jul 18, 2015
Well folks, sadly no 28 for me.....yet. The search continues. Unfortunately the owner had not noticed the port plexi window was leaking and the whole time was dripping onto the aft galley cabinets. There was also quite a bit of deck delamination due to cracks that had been attended to. Overall hull was in great shape as was the rigging, but the owner has a lot of rot and fiberglass work to tend to before anyone buys it unless he sells as a project. I do love the model though after spending some time on it today. I will find one eventually.

Nov 30, 2009
Oday 28 Lake Michigan
Bamabaxter,
This was a good weekend for you, as you are looking at boats with your mind and solid reasoning, as opposed to heart and high emotion (the way many boats are purchased....I might be guilty of that one myself). That will serve you well when looking at boats in the 80's (vintage by any standard). A 1983 boat is 33 years old !!!!!
You noticed a characteristic I forgot to mention, and that was amazing as it was a characteristic that was #1 when I was looking for my ODay 28. Shame on me. Don't know how I forgot it. For some reason ( I've heard misc. reasons given) hair line cracks on the deck can show up on O'Day 28's, 30's, and 31"s. General speaking, hairline cracks are not a problem, but rather a characteristic of 80's vintage fiberglass boats. Just like the potential of bottom blasters. Some boats have bottom blisters, some do not. Same can be said for hairy line cracks. Some boats have them , some do not. Issue is hair line cracks are not neccessially an indication of water intrusion (leaks), but they can be and need to be looked at seriously.
Continue to shop. You just went thru a valuable learning curve. There is a boat out there with your name on it. But remember some valuable words. I believe it was Mae West who said "I've been rich, and I've been poor. I like rich better". You now know.....The layout of the deck is important and is a highly used area on a boat. " I've had wide side decks, and I've had narrow side decks. I like wide side decks better" (my Catalina 27 vs my ODay 28). The berths in the cabin are used as seats, and places to sleep. "I've had full side sleeping berths, and I've had partial sleeping berths. I like full size sleeping berths better" (my Catalina 27 vs my Oday 28). In defense of the Catalina 27 .... I liked the way it sailed better than the O'Day 28. Anyway, enjoy the hunt.

Jul 18, 2015
I appreciate the kind words and as you said, there is a boat out there for me. I will find it soon enough.