Looking at a 1978 9.2 center cockpit

Aug 30, 2015
Catalina C25 Michigan City
I'm new to the forum. Have been sailing all my life (just about) and am looking to move up from my current Catalina 25 w/inboard diesel to a 9.2c. The boat seems in good condition and well cared for. It's owned by a friend. It has the yanmar sb12 vertical single cylinder diesel which seems to hum right along. I'm a bit concerned about a12 horse on a 30 ft boat. Should I be?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I had 9.2C decades ago. It had a Volvo MD7 which is 13hp. Don't know the Yanmar, but sounds like it should work. The Volvo is a two cyl.

Aug 26, 2015
Edel 820CC Whitby,ontario
i have an 8.2 with a volvo 7.5hp works fine for me, although i do need room to slow down when going forward, but thats more to do with the volvo folding prop not wanting to open at high forward speeds, it will push me to hull speed at about just over half throttle.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Catalina 30's originally had the Universal 5411 which was only 11 hp, and I'm now running one in a Columbia 36, which is a little lighter and narrower than the Catalina. With the correct prop they work pretty good on a boat that size. People complained that the Catalina was under powered so they went to the 25hp. Whether you consider it under powered depends on how you want to use the boat. If you really want a motor sailer, it's not enough. If you want a real sailing boat, 11 or 12 hp is adequate. Won't do hull speed into a strong head wind and chop, but it will move the boat. For sailing performance, the smaller and lighter engine the better.
12 hp on a 9.2 would be about the same as the Catalina with the 5411.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
It depends. In my area it might require some more forethought. For example, Hull Gut might be a problem. Also, the 9.2C makes an engine swap more challenging as ther is really limited space to literally manhandle the old engine out and a new engine in.