Looking at 1990 Catalina 22...new to sailboat buying. What should I look for?

Feb 22, 2018
Catalina 22 Wing Keel 154200 Louisville, KY
I'm 22 years old and have spent each summer on the water as a powerboater. My dad has always loved sailing...but mom didn't...thus, no sailboat in the family. Until now! (hopefully) My dad and I have spent the past couple years learning and I now am in the market but need some guidance when it comes to sailboat buying (and sailing in general). Here's the description of the boat below to give you an idea:

"1990 Catalina 22 Wing keel 28" draft. This boat is in mint condition for its age. New running rigging, Spreader Boots 2017. New Standing Rigging 2014. Lemar winches, Harken Blocks, full Sail inventory Main , Jib, Storm Jib and Spinnaker gin pole. Lots of accessories come with the boat. This boat has a large cockpit which will hold 4 people comfortably even on those extra windy days. She sleeps 4 comfortably as well. The trailler is a 1991 dual axel Skiper B with electric brakes, is galvanized and features a 10' extension for easy launching and trailering. The boat is powered by a mercury 8hp 2 stroke out board that runs quiet and flawlessly. I am the second owner of this boat and have all of the original paper work on it. I keep the boat in a marina slip from March to November. I take the boat out every year, clean and inspect and store for the winter." He's asking $8,000.

Any comments/thoughts/suggestions for a young, newbie sailor would be greatly appreciated. Doesn't have to necessarily be about this specific boat either. Thanks for any advice!

(if i should've posted this to a different forum please let me know. I'm a newbie after all)

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Can't give any better advice than here:
https://www.catalina22.org/index.php/download-files?folder=C22_Buyers_Guide
mmmmm.... their website is down but should be back up later.
@EditorC22NSA

Sounds like a good boat. The price is on the high range but if it has all the upgrades then its a deal. Its easy to add a few grand for newer sails, rigging, winches, etc... Being the 2nd owner means that likely the previous guy took care of it. I have the wing keel and love it. No maintenance and almost just as easy to launch with a trailer extension. Post some pictures if you can for more detailed advice. Also see this thread about an older model:
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/purchasing-advice.190310/page-2#post-1441320

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
I know that this may seem ridiculously old-fashioned to a 22-year-old, but here's my advice: read a book or two. When I was looking to buy a sailboat, I bought and read a couple of books that were written to help people just like you. All the good advice about choosing, buying, and repairing boats that I have read over the past five years on this and other sailing forums had been written in those books.

Go to Amazon and search for "buy repair sailboat". Electronic versions of most books are available.

Also, as LakeShark suggested, you will do yourself a great favor if you choose a boat model that has an active, online owners' association.

P.S. - Watch out for those who stretch the truth in their ads. For example, I doubt that anybody who's ever sailed a Catalina 22 honestly believes that 4 people can comfortably sleep in one (unless three of the people are toddlers). For four people to sleep uncomfortably, a lot of gear would have to be shuffled to the cockpit.
- Also watch for possibly misleading text, like "The boat is in mint condition for its age." WTF does that mean?
- Do you know where you will be storing the boat? Do you know where you will be launching it? Get the details on these before looking for a boat.

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
read a bunch 'o threads here first, go look, 6k sounds more like it if all is true, and as said, it won't sleep 4 comfortably, (unless you stack 'em...)....keep us posted w/pics, good luck!

Apr 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Sport #15582 Indianapolis
The late 80s / early 90s Catalina 22 with Wing are probably the best built boats in the entire production run. The $8K seems a little high. But if boat/trailer/sails are in excellent condition, and if no additional work needed, then price seems fair and reasonable. The late 80s / early 90s wing keels always demand a higher price as fewer of them were built.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The C22 is a superb boat. That's what we started out with, 1983-87, a 1981 model, #10496.

Pat Royce's excellent little book, Sailing Illustrated, has tons of information about small boats, as well as lots more important sailing knowledge, all in one place. It was our "go to" book for many years.

Here's an example, although it sounds like you may have roller furling, but safety is safety:

Pat Royce jib downhaul (Medium).jpg

Oct 4, 2010
76 Catalina 22 Three Mile Harbor, East Hampton, NY
Pat Royce's excellent little book, Sailing Illustrated, has tons of information about small boats, as well as lots more important sailing knowledge, all in one place. It was our "go to" book for many years.
Excellent books. I also recommend them. Picked them up used after I first saw Stu recommend them.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
If I were in the market for a C22, I would go look at that one tomorrow morning. There aren't many of those out there. The asking price might or might not be a little high (it usually is) but that's a fairly rare and desirable model.

I'm 22 years old and have spent each summer on the water as a powerboater. My dad has always loved sailing...but mom didn't...thus, no sailboat in the family. Until now! (hopefully) My dad and I have spent the past couple years learning and I now am in the market but need some guidance when it comes to sailboat buying (and sailing in general). Here's the description of the boat below to give you an idea:

"1990 Catalina 22 Wing keel 28" draft. This boat is in mint condition for its age. New running rigging, Spreader Boots 2017. New Standing Rigging 2014. Lemar winches, Harken Blocks, full Sail inventory Main , Jib, Storm Jib and Spinnaker gin pole. Lots of accessories come with the boat. This boat has a large cockpit which will hold 4 people comfortably even on those extra windy days. She sleeps 4 comfortably as well. The trailler is a 1991 dual axel Skiper B with electric brakes, is galvanized and features a 10' extension for easy launching and trailering. The boat is powered by a mercury 8hp 2 stroke out board that runs quiet and flawlessly. I am the second owner of this boat and have all of the original paper work on it. I keep the boat in a marina slip from March to November. I take the boat out every year, clean and inspect and store for the winter." He's asking $8,000.

Any comments/thoughts/suggestions for a young, newbie sailor would be greatly appreciated. Doesn't have to necessarily be about this specific boat either. Thanks for any advice!

(if i should've posted this to a different forum please let me know. I'm a newbie after all)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
@gcarmack14

If the boat and trailer are in top shape, with no work needed, that price seems fair.
Buying my 1987, and fixing her up, has cost me more than that so far.
You can buy C22's for a lot less but by the time you get new sails, repair the standing rigging, etc on one of the "bargain" boats you can easily be in that price range.

I tell you, if the timing was better I should have waited, and bought Chip Ford's boat for $12,500 (He has $40,000 invested. That is a very extreme example. http://chipford.com)

Post some detailed photos of the boat, and people should be able to give more advice.

Do you need the boat to sleep 4 adults ?
4 Adults isn't workable for more than a weekend. 2 adults is perfectly fine for longer periods.
Keep in mind that "Comfort" is subjective.
The C22 is a GREAT boat. It makes compromises to achieve it's size and trailerability.

This forum is a great source of info. A lot of good people, who are also knowledgeable, are here.
Ask more specific questions and you will get a ton of advice. Some people here were likely sailing when your dad was a kid.

You say that you and your dad have been learning. If that doesn't include some on the water training, I suggest you get that. It goes a long way to making some seemingly confusing things, easier to understand.
There is nothing like hands on training IMO.

I also agree with @jwing 's comment about books. There are some great books that have compiled decades of sailing, and sailboat repair/maintenance/purchase knowledge.
While online forums do help, you will find that reading a book will cover it faster, than reading a bunch of forums/blogs etc.

Like forums/blogs, some youtube stuff can be good, depending on the source.
A good example of a great youtube channel run by a professional boat tech: https://www.youtube.com/user/boatworkstoday

Unfortunately, many of the youtube sailing channels seem to impart very little experienced knowledge.
It can also be a great source of "How not to sail" or "Yay look at me ! I have no clue, but I bought a boat and want to live my fantasy"

Feb 22, 2018
Thanks all for the comments and book/video suggestions...they're extremely helpful. I can already tell this forum is going to eat into my work day.

I'll be storing it in a slip in a nearby Marina on the Ohio River in Kentucky. As far as sleeping goes, no I don't need it to sleep 4. I didn't expect "comfortably" to actually mean comfortably.

I visit the boat on this coming Sunday so I'll make sure to post pictures and get some thoughts. Thanks again for everyone's willingness to assist.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
She does look like she is in good condition. The owner has a cover for her ... that's a great sign. Running rigging looks great. Can you verify the age of standing rigging? Motor has been maintained? I would check the decks, roof and cockpit for softness or signs of delamination. Read up a little bit on this topic. You should be able to make a solid opinion on your own. It won't hurt if you can find a moisture meter to measure moisture content in the core beneath the fiberglass skin.

It looks like you are on the right track. The price is a little steep, so that is why I would just be careful to check out the condition. It should be worth the price if the condition checks out ok. He's dropped the price $1,000 already! That shows he's willing to work with you. Don't hesitate too long, you may lose her. She looks very promising so far!

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Nice boat!

Any more info on the sails? How old is the motor? Trailer tires/bearings make me wonder. I see leak streaks down the inside of the cabin. How is the interior woodwork, especially at the bottom edges and around the chainplates? You're already a motorboater, so I'm sure you know about wood core in the deck - did you tap around looking for soft spots?

On the plus side, it's extremely gratifying to see her under that custom cover! New-ish running and standing rigging is a big plus. No swing keel eliminates a LOT of potential labor and expense, both now and in the future. From here, it looks like she could be a real sweetheart, but I'm guessing she'll need a little sweat and TLC (and of course some money) to get her there.

Personally, I think he's still high at 7K. 5-6K will buy a very nice C22. That's the neighborhood I'd be looking at, based on what I can see from here.

Good luck!!

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Looks pretty good from those pics...
I see some staining inside stbd by the stove and forward, would indicate possible water ingress at forward stanchions and possible at chainplate, some water on the floor, could be just from uncovering it, double axle trailer is a plus, may need tires and bearings, bottom & keel look good, motor have no clue, maybe stick it in a water barrel and give it a test drive, pull all the sails out and chk for holes, tears, crispness, chk for soft deck areas, especially at mast step, chainplates, stanchions, stem fitting, outboard bracket, swim ladder....all that stuff can be fixed if deficient...refinish the teak of course (normal).

Looks like a better than average one IMO, fair enough price, desireable model as others have said...should clean up nicely, my 2 cents....keep us posted!!

(sorry for the redundant comments!...looks like 3 of us were posting almost simultaneously!...at least we're all in agreement!...should give u some confidence!)

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
As others have said it looks like it's in pretty fair shape although the price is a bit high sometimes that Wing Keel will fetch quite a premium. I know because I have one as well and in my area they do go a bit higher as they are rare in the midwest. Obviously the owner cared for the boat so how about some positives you may not have noticed.
The Mast has a full Spinnaker pole setup This is added and is quite $$
The rudder gudgeons have already been upgraded though that may have been standard by 1990
The Bimini top is a nice addition as is that custom fit cover.
With the age of the boat and the upgrades I see this is no barn find or neglected boat from a field. It looks like it is from someone that knows how to sail and actually sailed her. Likely you will be sailing a long time before you get to appreciate all the boat has in the way of upgrades but I would make an offer. For perspective I have an 87 wing keel that I paid 4500 for and in the last 3 years I added another 3K in trailer and boat upgrades. So if i was to sale her I would look to aim high on my price as well. That double axle trailer is worth some $$ as well as they came stock with a single.

You'll still have to put some money in her each year as with all boats but this one seems to be well ahead of the majority of those that I see for sale around.

Feb 22, 2018
Friends - thank you all for the great advice and comments! What a fun learning experience buying your first boat can be.

The first owner kept the boat in Pittsburgh and (apparently) rarely ever sailed her and never had it in a slip. The current owner bought it from the original owner about 15 years ago and has been sailing it since, but said he only took it out 4 times this past year. He has 2 other boats and wants a catamaran...quite the water enthusiast. Quick info about the owner for what it's worth - he's 40 and has been sailing his entire life. Loved sharing info...spent about 3 hours showing us the boat. He slips this boat at the same lake as our powerboat so he offered to walk us through taking the mast down, setting up spinnaker, etc next Sunday.

The sails are the original (should've taken a few pictures) and he showed us two places he had to put small patches on (about the size of a dime) but otherwise felt crisp to the touch...I'll upload some pictures next time. No soft spots that we could find. Running rigging new, standing rigging new as of 4 years ago. Mercury 8hp motor is at max weight and is a 1998. He raves about how quietly it runs but we're testing it out this coming Sunday. I'll also check on the chainplates next time I visit, I don't know that answer.

If all goes well this coming Sunday I'll likely jump on this one.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
based on your inspection & the guy and the boat's history, I would get out your checkbook...whatever needs to be done on the big expense side, seems like he's done. Lotsa plus's, few minus's, doubt you can go wrong on this one! Keep us posted and congrats in advance!!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Sails are original? I'd budget at least $1500-$1800 to replace if they are worn out. FYI, I thought my sails on my O'day were good too because of the crap boats I looked out, after one season I noticed not so much so replaced this year.