Longer Outboard Motor shaft needed?

Aug 14, 2012
Catalina 22 Huntington Lake
I have a 1979 Catalina 22 with a 2-stage outboard motor mount on it (up for transport; down for motoring). I currently have a Suzuki 6 hp (https://www.suzukioutboardteam.com/product/suzuki-6-hp-df6al2-outboard-motor/).
The problem is that when in the down motoring position, the motor's powerhead and tiller are below the stern's top edge. This makes it very difficult to steer because the tiller needs to be "bent" up in a vertical position in order to not hit the boat's stern. Plus, lower makes it hard to pull the manual start cord.
Ideally, I need a motor with a very long midsection in order to (a) have the tiller handle above the stern deck, and (b) have the lower unit (prop) remain in the water.
Surely other Cat22 owners have run into this issue. Got ideas/solutions/recommendations? Thanks.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I was looking at the motor mount on mine last weekend. It looks like it would be possible to drill out a new slot on the motor mount locking assembly, to allow the motor to "lock in" at a new levered up/down slot position if desired. It would probably be better to take it off and put it on a drill press, then cut and file the new locking slot. Might be tough going, but it looks theoretically possible. Maybe that would help you raise it up a bit, and still keep the prop from cavitating.

Last edited:
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The thing is that most people will lock the motor in a fixed position and steer the boat solely with the rudder. With the engine tiller in an upright position it will make it convenient to adjust the throttle. I'll admit that to operate the shift lever can be a little trying but how often is it required to move the shift lever. An alternative is to inquire with the engine manufacturer about remote control that would allow the removal of the tiller and allow the operation of throttle and gear shifting from the cockpit. Whatever you do it is not advisable to raise the engine.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
The thing is that most people will lock the motor in a fixed position and steer the boat solely with the rudder. With the engine tiller in an upright position it will make it convenient to adjust the throttle.
Bingo.
Though... using the motor's steering in combination with the tiller does improve steering in close quarters.

The tiller position was my "complaint" with my previous Merc motor, for couple times I used it, but even my new 25" long shaft Tohatsu has the issue to some extent. In fact I preferred the Merc's combo shift/throttle for that reason.
My oem original mount's positions put the prop in the water easily.
We need to tilt it to have the motor completely out of the water.
Getting the 25" long shaft vs the 20" was not needed on our boat. Nice to have... but not needed.

No Biggie IMO. Just pretend it's a bigger sailboat with an inboard diesel. ;)

Last edited:

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
I was looking at the motor mount on mine last weekend. It looks like it would be possible to drill out a new slot on the motor mount locking assembly, to allow the motor to "lock in" at a new levered up/down slot position if desired. It would probably be better to take it off and put it on a drill press, then cut and file the new locking slot. Might be tough going, but it looks theoretically possible. Maybe that would help you raise it up a bit, and still keep the prop from cavitating.
I did that exact mod on my Capri 22 earlier this year before launch....

See at: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...eason-is-around-the-corner-open.190691/page-2

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I'll be mounting our outboard today for it's annual spring checkup and will take some photos so you can see where a 25" shaft will sit. It's longer length does allow you to use it without it all the way down, and Slartibartfass' mod would work for it. I can't see it being high enough for the tiller to clear the transom without cavitation when sailing in swells, but I may be wrong. Time for some measurements.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
I did that exact mod on my Capri 22 earlier this year before launch....

See at: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...eason-is-around-the-corner-open.190691/page-2
I locked my outboard in place with a quick release in case of an emergency and use the tiller for steering. Its a 5HP propane Tohatsu and I had no issue in 20kts winds and intense wave action/currents on Long Island Sound to motor.....
See: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...n-the-water-for-the-2017-season.188627/page-3

Aug 14, 2012
Catalina 22 Huntington Lake
Hey - Thanks everyone! A bunch of good suggestions on how others have dealt with this motor height issue. Sounds like some transoms may but slightly different height?
But I think for me the idea of increasing the motor shaft length from my 20" to a new 25" (aka buying a different motor, e.g., the Tohatsu 6) is my best solution. Those extra 5" would really help (but not totally solve) my problem, esp. for pull cord height. Only down side is the cost. I will also try the idea of steering with just the boat's tiller, once the motor is under way.
All ideas are welcomed! Thanks.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Hey - Thanks everyone! A bunch of good suggestions on how others have dealt with this motor height issue. Sounds like some transoms may but slightly different height?
But I think for me the idea of increasing the motor shaft length from my 20" to a new 25" (aka buying a different motor, e.g., the Tohatsu 6) is my best solution. Those extra 5" would really help (but not totally solve) my problem, esp. for pull cord height. Only down side is the cost. I will also try the idea of steering with just the boat's tiller, once the motor is under way.
All ideas are welcomed! Thanks.
I was never comfortable using the outboard and the tiller for steering unless you connect them somehow. Too much a headache IMHO especially if you want to flip up the outboard while under sail........ Just slide a pvc pipe over the tiller handle and using the outboard to steer will be a lot easier..... The 25inch is the way to go..... You can use the outboard for steering in the additional slot position I added unless the backstay gets in the way on the C22 (it does on the Capri22).......