long distance trailering

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
We get the look with the little Catalina, but we get the respect too, the boat and trailer are over 40’ and the thing does appear to be a little massive. I wouldn’t put this combination in an rv park, the clearances with the trees might be an issue.

There’s one other useful tip, for the hound dawgs in the rv parks. get some regular ground beef burgers to whip up on the bbq. The kind that smoke. A lot. (Take that, campers). :)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Guys!
You are responding to a 4 years old post.

Just sayin’

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
On a cross country journey, say from Los Angeles, California to Houston, Texas, how do you find parking for your rig. Truck and Trailer length of 50-60ft? Do you use rest stops? Walmarts? Truck Stops? RV Parks?
ALL this talk about a 2014 thread that was revived with this question above from Tom a new member on SBO 06DEC2018.

Perhaps it is a good one. Perhaps not.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I am with king gambit. Sell it and get one suitable for West coast. I learned that when I purchased my 25 footer then realised it was not suitable for San Francisco bay waters, so I upgraded to 36 footer and expanded my sailng area to the ocean. The sails are of different size as well.

Oct 22, 2014
Solid point Joe. Finding a boat that is suitable for the cruising area you want to sail is a rather intelligent decision.

Just not what everyone is wanting to do. Especially when the siren calls you to have a boat that fills your eyes with Stars....

Aug 1, 2011
That is not always a workable solution. A boat that is sitting a long way away decreases the time available to use it.

The crazies (and I was one for 15 years) with the MacGregors have usually no qualms at all about towing them huge distances, doing the Grizwald in the RV parks, and generally having more fun than most people within earshot.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Guys!
You are responding to a 4 years old post.

Just sayin’
I guess SBO doesn't care how old a post you can respond too, other wise they would archive them in a read only file. Many times if you Google search a topic it will show really old post from a lot of forums and unless you are checking the fine print at the bottom of the post one might not know it's age. I re-read the rules on posting and it never mentioned a time limit.;)

Aug 1, 2011
That's a good thing, because it appears some folks here take their time getting around to some stuff.

Aug 1, 2011
The little Catalina will be spotted along the route to the home of @Ralph Johnstone this upcoming summer. The road access will be scouted in great detail in a couple of weeks.
If I cared about fakebook or anything like that, it would be time to start a bashtag or something.
##yvrboatshow2019.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
The little Catalina will be spotted along the route to the home of @Ralph Johnstone this upcoming summer.
If I had a nickel for every time I heard this story ...............................

I've compiled an itinerary of pubs we can get kicked out of for inappropriate behaviour.
WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT ? ? ? ?

Speaking of things we plan to do but just never get around to, this is definitely the year the crew and I get up to the Broughtons. We've planned every year since 2008 to return but it's never happened. I've seen far too many friends (younger than I) die from hear attacks, suffer from strokes, and succumb to MS. I've been spared all of these and if that isn't an free pass to get the hell up there now, I don't know what is.

Get here in time and you'll be going with us. ACTUALLY, you could trailer your boat to Lund and save yourself 5 days of a one month trip. Don't even have to go all the way to the Broughtons. Desolation Sound and shoot a few rapids north of Stuart Island just to get a taste of what you'll be doing every summer in your retirement years.

100_2162 - Lagoon Cove.JPG

100_2176 - Laura Cove.JPG

100_2181 - Drury Inlet.JPG

100_2184 - Drury Inlet.JPG

100_2222 - Drury Inlet.JPG

100_2245 - Turnbull Cove.JPG

Aug 1, 2011
Most excellent. I’m quite shocked that there’s still places. Apparently we are getting lax in our collective old ages.

Oct 22, 2014
@Ralph Johnstone I see you show a West Vancouver location. I am the John of the ”Les and John’s Excellent Adventure - 2019 Winter Cruise”. We are intending to raid Vancouver on the 8th and 9th. Looking for a berth for a 36ft Catalina that will place us near the boat show excitement. Meriachee has mentioned a few spots, but you know he is talking from memory. He may have fuzzy memory if he is getting the boot from the Pub. Ideas would be most welcomed.
Hope to see you during our visit.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Don't listen to Meriachee. I doubt he still has the dubious talents necessary to be ejected from the Sylvia Hotel Lounge :frown:.

The place you want to anchor is in Vancouver's False Creek. Never done it myself but here's the link for a mandatory but free permit:

https://vancouver.ca/streets-transportation/anchoring.aspx

All sorts of info available from the City of Vancouver. You'll be within spitting distance of the floating portion of the boat show and there's a free shuttle to BC Place for the dry portion of the show. There is also a flotilla of harbour ferries which ply False Creek for a few dollars per trip. The only thing I'm not sure of is where to tie up your dinghy. I can think of one or two places on Granville Island that you may want to consider for free docking. Some means of locking your dinghy to the dock may also be worth considering as Vancouver is a big city with a few of its attendant problems. The City references will have all the answers you need.

Hope to see you there.

Aug 1, 2011
They offered us a suite the last time we were there. Silly people.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Just came across this post. ??? What was the final outcome? Tow or sell?

Aug 1, 2011
For Ralph? He was last photographed in Lagoon Cove. Probably still trying to buy the place.