long distance trailering

Aug 19, 2013
oday 23 nockamixon
So I may be getting the chance move across from the east coast down to the San Diego/la area.
What do I do with the boat?
I could probably get $3000 at a push for my oday 23, it has new motor, recovered cushions, re bedded through deck everything!
Trailer has new tires and brakes and coupling.
I won't find a combo like that for that price, so. ?..
Ignoring the $1500 that it will cost to ship, it's 2700 miles too much to expect the boat and trailer to go?
Selling for 3k plus the money saved in transport,does not seem to get me very much over that side of the country.
Really don't want to be there and boatless :)

Jul 21, 2013
Searching for 1st sailing boat 27-28, 34-36 Channel Islands, Marina Del Rey
That boat is hard to come by on this coast.

If you love it, bring it along. Extend your journey by a couple of days and tow it slow and steady.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Southern California has GREAT sailing all year long. Just a little advice, if the trailer isn't galvanized, it will be a real maintenance issue very quickly.

You'll never spend a hot muggy night on board your boat either out here. We just returned from a week trip to Catalina Island. One of the top destinations you'll have to make out here. Towing shouldn't be an issue with a properly maintained trailer and good strong properly rated tires. Last year we trailered our boat from San Diego to Florida, and back VIA Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, etc. Puller her over 6,000 miles during the entire year. Already have several thousand under our belts this year with a tow to the Houston/Galvaston area in June and back.

Don

Jan 22, 2008
NorSea 27 Az., Doing the To-Do list
Trailer it!

After full time (24/7/365) cruising for years, we are now trailering.
See our web pages (listed below) for info. If we can trailer our Nor'Sea 27, you can trail your 23! It's FUN!!! ;)

Greg

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
If the tow platform is up to it, with enough capacity, etc. then it all comes down to the trailer, and how much you trust it.

Have you ever gotten inside the hubs? How do the axle and springs look? A bit of surface rust would be ok, but excessive rust, it might be time for a new axle and/or springs. And if it needs a new axle, it might be worthwhile to upgrade to surge brakes.

It might also be worthwhile to add a transmission cooler, if the tow vehicle doesn't have one.

23' certainly isn't too much to trailer...

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The 270's over on the other side of the expression "trailerboat". But there it is. It started life (for me) in Denver, and has been to the west coast and lives in Edmonton. The trailer has seen the ups and downs of a couple of the nastiest passes in the Rockies without failure. It's all in the equipment. The commentary about the condition of the trailer and the tow vehicle say it all.
There's some detail on trailer mods on the blog page. Lots of trailer mods.
Cheers
Gary

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Aye to what the others have said. If the trailer tires are more than 5 years old maybe just replace them. Ditto the wheel bearings if in any doubt.

Then use the boat as a travel trailer during the journey. No doubt it has beds, some kind of stove and at least a port a pottie.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
would you expect your boat to be more fragile on a trailer than you would the normal cheaply built "boxes mounted on an axle" that they call travel trailers?...
the boat is much more solidly built than a travel trailer, so if it is tied to the trailer and the trailer can safely haul it the first hundred miles, it would be a reasonably safe bet that it could carry it the next 2600 miles....

if the trailer was built for the boat, and its in good repair, then you should have no problems with it.... as with most cross country trips with trailers, its the tow vehicle that has issues, but this is usually due to heavy trailers being towed. the boat you are towing is relatively light and more aerodynamic, as compared to a 5-6000lb travel trailer.
you didnt mention what you are towing with... what may be adequate for towing the boat twenty miles to the lake, may not be what you should to be attempting to tow it across america in...
but I really think you would miss your boat where you are going:D

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I towed my Cat 27 from Butler PA. to Los Angeles. I stopped at a couple of friends houses, did some bass fishing along the way, shopped for Amish furniture in Indiana, stopped by the Grand Canyon waited out a thunder storm and down pour there. Made another stop at the meteor crater in Arizona.
There is a lot to do traveling cross country. Just take it slow. Coming through Oklahoma was a littler nerve wracking where the wind really does come sweeping down the plains as do the down spouts and lightening. At one point I noticed a wave coming across a cornfield. When the truckers pulled over I did the same and ducked into a bridge.
The total round trip cost about $1200 in gas. I used the boat for shelter. All in all it was a great experience.
Here is a link to a few picts from the trip. They are not in order.
http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/album.php?albumid=3359

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
There are two Oday 23's on my dock... I think it's a perfect boat for this area... I'd spend some bucks on bearings, springs and spare tires etc. and bring it out. Since you already know and like your boat... unless you're upsizing there's no reason not to bring it with you.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
dfrancis23;

You do not know me but I am a retired sailboat dealer really specializing in trailerables and that included designing a few trailers in my time with over 2 million miles of pulling. IF you want me to call and talk about how to trailer and what to do to prepare, contact me via the forum email. This is one area I am expert on.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
There are two Oday 23's on my dock... I think it's a perfect boat for this area... I'd spend some bucks on bearings, springs and spare tires etc. and bring it out. Since you already know and like your boat... unless you're upsizing there's no reason not to bring it with you.
Joe is correct. I did spend for two new tires on the way back. I have a two axle trailer on the C27 and I wanted at least two new tires on the ground to depend on. I used the best used tire as a spare after buying a wheel at Tractor Supply Store TSC (love those stores). I also took my floor jack with me. I also got a brake job on the way back when they started to complain. I was surprised how much cheaper things are in the Midwest.
The trailer company supposedly repacked the bearings, but I still checked hubs for heat every time I stopped.

Aug 19, 2013
oday 23 nockamixon
mentioned in the OP, I have put four new tires on the trailer, new tow hitch with surge brakes and two new brake actuators.
I did all this this year before I found out about the move.
I won't be towing, I'll be paying a moving Co to do it, so tow vehicle is their issue.
My concern was that the trailer was up to it, which I am sure it is, was just unsure about such long distances.
The trailer has rollers not bunks, should I pad between boat and rollers, or just strap the boat down tight to stop any rubbing?

Jan 22, 2008
NorSea 27 Az., Doing the To-Do list
mentioned in the OP, I have put four new tires on the trailer, new tow hitch with surge brakes and two new brake actuators.
I did all this this year before I found out about the move.
I won't be towing, I'll be paying a moving Co to do it, so tow vehicle is their issue.
My concern was that the trailer was up to it, which I am sure it is, was just unsure about such long distances.
The trailer has rollers not bunks, should I pad between boat and rollers, or just strap the boat down tight to stop any rubbing?
A lot of the moving services that I have seen put the boat & trailer on a flatbed truck. So, how good the trailer is may not be all that important. In a few cases I have seen they took the wheels off of the boat trailer so it was lower on the rig.

Greg

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Southern California sailing is great; but probably very much different from what you've likely done on the East Coast. There are no barrier islands, no ICW, and compared to the East Coast, few marinas b/c there are many fewer harbors. Also, marina rebuilds of late have eliminated many slips under 30 ft since that [small boat] market has gone to all sorts of trailerables, including PWC's; and there is very little mast-up storage available. There is A LOT of freeway traffic around here and 55 mph speed limit for trailers, so I hope you're moving to a coastal town, not to the Inland Empire, if you plan to use the boat much in the ocean and to arrive there with it on a trailer.

Harbors are typically 15 to 20 or so n.mi. apart, sometimes greater, and there are very few anchorages inside them; usually only one or two designated spots each [if any]. The SoCal coast runs NW-SE; winds are 90% of the time from western quadrants; meaning it's usually "up-hill" or "down-hill" with not that much in between if traveling along the Southern California coast. So, anywhere you go leaving harbor in a 23 ft boat, however nice, will be a LONG DAY of travel, and possibly a wet one. Sailing "inside", however, such as inside San Diego Bay, Mission Bay, Newport Bay/Harbor, San Pedro Bay/Long Beach Harbor, and even Santa Monica Bay, can provide lots of enjoyment; but, as I said, no slips < 30' at Long Beach. My advice; sell it and buy a bigger boat out here; at least 27 ft and one with an inboard diesel, if you wish to "fully experience" what Southern California sailing has to offer [unless you put it on a lake; e.g., Big Bear Lake]. A Newport 28 would be a good choice in that size range; also, an Ericson 27 [if diesel]; but 30 ft or larger improves the chance for a slip at some marinas.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Been said but.... just repack the bearings before you leave, get a few spare tires and use them to replace the ones you have... then use your current tires as spares. Buy a set of replacement bearings and keep them in the tool box. If you spend the night on the boat, the money you save on a hotel will pay for the new tires. :)

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Two Decision Points

1. Keep the boat or Sell it; sounds like you made that decision

2. Ship it or drag it; not sure of your situation kids, pets, how much time, how much stuff, etc. Having moved across the country multiple times I can tell you are going to have your plate full. Dragging the trailer is absolutely doable the question is do you want to? $1,500 sounds like a bargain if you take into account the extra time, gas, motel room nights, wear and tear on the tow vehicle and you. You will have to drive around 20MPH slower, you will use 1/3 more gas, and it is much more tiring driving with a trailer than not so your driving day will be shorter. Add those factors into the $1500 see if shipping does not becomes a more attractive option.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It should not be a problem, I find that trailering on the interstate is a lot easier than trailering in country roads. A sailboat on a trailer is like a camper just park the rig in an appropriate place and climb in the boat to get your ZZZZs or prepare a meal. Truck stops offer breakfast, restrooms with showers and work centers with wifi. Keep your speed down to around 65MPH for safety and fuel conservation and you should be there in 4 days. Take a spare tire and a spare hub just in case. Check the leaf springs before you leave make sure they are OK. Take a good jack and some wooden blocks.

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
I think the spare hub is a great idea, it's a lot easier then trying to repack bearings on the side of the road. That was good advice. In fact a spare tire with a hub, washer, castle nut and kotter pin would be ideal. Have the new hub already with the bearings packed. Just don't do what I did and over tighten the castle nuts.

I wouldn't do all that for local stuff but I haul a couple hours a few times a year. I may just go get a spare hub. Of course having the tools to do the job are as important as the parts themselves.

If you don't have trailer brakes, be sure to let your transmission help you on the downhill grades and pay attention to temperatures. Don't ignore you are hauling a trailer.

If nothing else, take your time and see the country, the US is a pretty cool place if you take the time to enjoy it. We have traveled all over the world (not by boat) but we have to some degree neglected to see a lot of America.

May 25, 2004
Hunter 260 Pepin, WI
Retirement

For the last 12 years I've sailed out of a slip here in the upper Midwest. Both my wife a I will be retired at the end of October. We plan on excaping the harsh winters, and taking our boat with us.

The first trip will be to the waters I grew up in, and learned to sail on; Long Beach, CA. So this will be a long cross-country tow. We will stay with faimly and park the boat in an RV Storage area when not sailing.

In the summer, when back home in Minnesota, we will continue to trailer sail instead of a slip. This will allow me to visit the many lakes in our area.

With all of this in mind, I got a new F150 with a Max Towing package. This truck has twice the towing capacity of my boat and trailer, even when fully loaded.

I spend 8 years in San Diego. I know you will enjoy the sailing in that area.