Log Canoe Racing - MRYC

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
This weekend (24 June) the Miles River Yacht Club hosts the Chesapeake Bay Log Canoe Racing Association 4th of July Racing Series in St. Michaels, Maryland. Log Canoe racing is something to see, narrow beam boats way over-canvased, hiking board ballasted, a Maryland sailing tradition. The boats and crew clans go back generations. Here's a little video from Brad Johnson:

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I have a very cool painting of a log canoe race entitled "Racing Before the Storm." I never took note of the painter but will.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Weather for the MRYC Log Canoe race was spectacular. Here is some sketchy iPhone video of the perennial favorite Edmee S. from the forward seat of our dink:

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
Wow! Love it and how different from American Cup--yet racing and sailing. I've always thought racing shares much with recreation in most areas and can lead to better and more fun products and tech. for all of us. Racing is just a matter of extremes.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Liked the video Gunni. Looks like a young man's sport. Reminds me of sailing Lightening's and Flying Dutchman in the late 60's only more difficult.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I came upon one of those laying on it's side with crew in the water. Offered to help, but they were okay. I stood by and watched as they removed parts of the boat and put them on their power chase boat! Some re-assembly required".

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Yeah, there were a couple of capsizes that day, oddly enough on the reaching sections of the course. I stationed at the turning marks expecting that the gybe would throw them but they were able to manage the balance.

Log canoes have not ballast, and the hulls are ...logs, so they capsize and float on their side until the sails and spars are removed, and the bucket crew bail them back onto their feet.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
what a great and long standing tradition. those boats are beautiful, a real piece of art. you chessie sailors deserve to be proud.

up here in the midwest we too have a tradition of over 100 years with keel less boats. 38 ft long, 1850 lbs weight, up to 1800 sq ft of sail. my brother and i keep one of these as a day boat. we light it off on blustery days just for hoots.

took this video off the web. enjoy!