Locktite 567?

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
I am rebuilding the water pump on a Yamaha 4 HP outboard and the specs call for using Locktite "567" on the housing bolts and those that hold the lower unit together. This stuff is hard to find. Anyone know about using the red or blue locktite vs. this stuff?
Thanks for the info ..
cec

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I have not experienced these bolts backing out but I have seen them seized. I grease them instead on my 2.5HP.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I have used all 3 before. 567 is a good thread sealer but does not lock the threads down as hard as the red or blue. In general the blue locktite is the way to go if you want to disassemble your lower unit again in the future. If it were me I would go with blue because I have it on hand if its even needed. Normally on a water pump assy RoyS is correct and no locktite or grease works fine. You just don't want the bolts to seize to the housing. If you do use red or blue Locktite remember that in the future you will likely need heat to remove the bolts (torch or gun) 567 normally will not require heat to get it to loosen up.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
our local dealer and a couple of other tech have all suggested a gasket sealer sold by Evinrude. I've been doing the maintenance on four coach boats for our youth sailing program and it has worked for us. I forget the nomenclature on the stuff but I can look it up next time I'm out at the club.

Reminds me I've got to get busy changing the oil, water pumps, etc...

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
The red locktight is only removable with the application of heat. And I mean it is NOT coming loose with out lots of heat. Again it is NOT coming loose without the application of lots of heat.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
In general, if the OEM suggests that you use a specific number formulation of Loctite you should go with it.
From the spec sheet 567 is an "instant" seal, where blue or red does take some time to set up. The temp tolerance for 567 is about the same as the melting point of 261 Red (High Strength), but I doubt that has anything to do with it. Less liquid creep is probably the main reason, makes for a better watertight seal.
I use Red and Blue Loctite extensively in custom and race motorcycles. From what I have always known, both of these strengths are supposed to be waterproof when cured but don't quote me on that. Contrary to what was posted above, you do not need to heat up Blue Loctite to release the threads in the future. The medium strength blue is formulated to lock threads well but not exceed the torque that would break the bolt upon removal. With the red, yup, you better heat up to 450 to get that sucker off or you will be in a world of hurt (don't ask me how I know this). I use blue MOST of the time, even on bikes. The only thing that gets red Loctite is the engine mounting bolts on my Choppers and maybe a few others. I have big bottles of the stuff that cost almost $50 a piece, but big in terms of Loctite is like 3 or 4 oz, LOL. You only need drops, so I've had the same 'big' bottles for the last 6 years. I also have some sticks, they come in handy.
Here is a pro tip... When looking for a specialty number formula of Loctite that you may need for only one job, find out who your local sales rep is and request a sample. Being in the motorsports world this how I've always gotten those odd number and colors of thread locker like green and yellow, and also that is how I purchased the larger bottles that are only available to industrial customers.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
From what I have always known, both of these strengths are supposed to be waterproof when cured but don't quote me on that.
Yes both are waterproof once set. I use the red on my anchor swivel shackle screw and even after years of use it will not release without lots of heat. Very stable and reliable.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Yes both are waterproof once set. I use the red on my anchor swivel shackle screw and even after years of use it will not release without lots of heat. Very stable and reliable.
As I suspected, thanks for confirming. I think the feature that sets 567 apart is that is claims an 'instant' seal, so it cures faster or is reliably waterproof before fully curing (and will possibly cure underwater). With red or blue Loctite, I'd give it at least 24 hours for full cure before being submerged.