Registered users don't see ads

Lock the prop or let it spin? 386

Discussion in 'Ask A Hunter Owner' started by Hamish_s, Aug 19, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Hamish_s

Hamish_s

Joined Nov 14, 2016
    3 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 386
    Ca Toronto QCYC
    Hello folks,

We have a new-to-us 2002 386. Under sail, we lose a full knot when the prop is locked. When left to spin, we are far faster. So, what I want to ask is:

• Does anyone else record this outcome?
    • My owner's manual does not tell me if it should be locked or free,
    • or am I missing something and ought to pull the transmission engage button;
    • Is there is a problem with the 386 in letting the prop spin? That is, do I need the engine lubrication?
    • When I let it spin though, there is vibration and a whub-whub-whub under sail.
    Its a full knot ... I need that speed!!

Thanks

2. Hamish_s

Hamish_s

Joined Nov 14, 2016
    3 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 386
    Ca Toronto QCYC
    Would a folding prop help or hurt or make no difference?

3. M_Michaels

M_Michaels

Joined Feb 17, 2013
    32 posts, 1 likes
    Hunter 380
    US Port Clinton, Ohio Port Clinton, Ohio
    I have a 2000 Hunter 380. I removed a feathering Max Prop and installed a 3 blade Flex-o-fold prop. Solves all of your present issues. And I can back out of my slip to starboard or port with ease.

4. Benny17441

Benny17441

Joined May 24, 2004
    5,181 posts, 252 likes
    CC 30
    US South Florida
    Yanmar recommends you let the prop spin in neutral. The transmission is self lubricating as it spins the gears. Wear and tear is minimum as proven by a long history of usage. It will also reduce the significant drag induced by a locked prop.

5. Rick D

Rick D

Joined Jun 14, 2008
    6,340 posts, 117 likes
    Hunter Legend 40.5
    US Long Beach, Shoreline Marina, CA
    Ditto Benny

6. Hunter Ad Bot

Hunter Ad Bot

Joined Oct 27, 2016
    0 posts, 6 likes
    US Seattle
    Hunter props, shafts, struts, and cutless bearings

[​IMG]

See the product

7. jviss

jviss

Joined Feb 5, 2004
    1,984 posts, 121 likes
    Tartan 3800
    US Westborough Westport, MA
    I don't like the noise, so I put the gear in reverse when sailing. Note that with a two-blade prop, there are some better positions, like up and down, than others, for drag. Also, with a Maxprop or other feathering prop, putting the gear in reverse will make the prop feather, which is a very low drag configuration.

8. Ralph Johnstone

Ralph Johnstone

Joined Jan 4, 2006
    2,383 posts, 223 likes
    Hunter H-310
    CA West Vancouver, B.C.
    The official version.

Attached Files:

plenny7 likes this.
  9. Gunni

Gunni

Joined Mar 16, 2010
    4,359 posts, 569 likes
    Beneteau 411 Oceanis
    US Annapolis
    See Ralph's post of the YANMAR advisory. In fact, placing a MaxProp into reverse transmission position locks open the blades, driving the shaft (and transmission). There are limited uses for that if you have a shaft generator, but on a YANMAR you have to disconnect the shaft from the transmission or you will lunch the transmission. For MaxProp shut down in forward to feather then move the transmission to neutral. She won't spin.

jviss likes this.
  10. jviss

jviss

Joined Feb 5, 2004
    1,984 posts, 121 likes
    Tartan 3800
    Thanks, Gunni!

But I just checked the manual, and found this:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  11. Gunni

Gunni

Joined Mar 16, 2010
    4,359 posts, 569 likes
    Beneteau 411 Oceanis
    US Annapolis
    Yes, read it carefully. Stopping in reverse may stop the shaft from freewheeling but only because it is loading up your transmission friction cones or clutches. They require the transmission to be operating to get lubrication and prevent wear. Never lock a yanmar transmission in gear to stop it from freewheeling. Either let it freewheel or pony up for a feathering/folding prop.

quadrille38 likes this.
  12. Hamish_s

Hamish_s

Joined Nov 14, 2016
    3 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 386
    Ca Toronto QCYC
    Wow. Thank you everyone for the responses. Much appreciated.

Got my knot back!

Almost all my friends at my club state that it should be in gear so that the transmission does not burn out. This is excellent advice and direction.

Thank you all.

Hamish

13. jviss

jviss

Joined Feb 5, 2004
    1,984 posts, 121 likes
    Tartan 3800
    Gunni, maybe I'm not following you. As I read it, putting the gear in reverse is just a temporary measure to get the Maxprop to feather. Once it feathers, or you think it has, you shift to neutral, and the shaft shouldn't be spinning. They don't say to stop it in reverse, they say kill the engine while still in forward. And, the Maxprop is a feathering prop!

14. SG

SG

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    528 posts, 54 likes
    J/Boat J/160
    US Annapolis
    That should be the procedure with a feathering prop. Stop engine, put it in reverse momentarily, the shaft will feather, you should then put it back in neutral (only to avoid trying to start it in reverse).

Aside from stopping the noise/vibration, and damaging the transmission, you'll go faster ( I think)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  15. Gunni

Gunni

Joined Mar 16, 2010
    4,359 posts, 569 likes
    Beneteau 411 Oceanis
    US Annapolis
    The MaxProp does not feather in reverse transmission position. Period. It only feathers from a stop in forward. Period. I'm starting to understand how so many Kanzakis end up in the shop and why yanmar had to put the procedure in writing.

16. kappykaplan

kappykaplan

Joined May 1, 2011
    593 posts, 39 likes
    Pearson 37
    US Lusby MD
    Mine does. I put the transmission in neutral, shut the engine down, then put transmission in reverse. Feathers every time.

17. SG

SG

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    528 posts, 54 likes
    J/Boat J/160
    US Annapolis
    Mine too, Gunni. If put the transmission in neutral without feathering the prop, it will usually continue to auto-rotate (because the blades haven't reset). Simply popping it reverse (after the engine has stopped) feathers the Max Prop. Then, as pointed-out, I simply return the transmission lever to neutral.

Some non-conventional, hydraulic transmissions might be different?

18. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    7,348 posts, 1,214 likes
    Beneteau First 36.7 & 260
    US Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
    Unlike Yanmar, Volvo's need to be placed in reverse per the factory. straight prop or folder.

The difference between the two is the big reason for this misunderstanding.

19. Kings Gambit

Kings Gambit

Joined Jul 27, 2011
    2,322 posts, 297 likes
    Bavaria 38E
    US Ventura Harbor
    Having just gotten off sailing a charter boat w/ a 78-hp Volvo, the setting is evidently optional according to the documents aboard-can either let it spin in neutral while sailing, or lock it in reverse. It appears to be a matter of whether or not one wants to curtail the sound of the spinning prop.

20. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    7,348 posts, 1,214 likes
    Beneteau First 36.7 & 260
    US Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
    That's possible I suppose. My original Volvo manual says reverse. Which is good because my flexofold likes that.

21. datasailor2

datasailor2

Joined May 17, 2010
    14 posts, 1 likes
    Hunter 1983 - 34'
    US Lake Stevens, WA Port of Everett
    So last year I had to replace the cone drive in my Kanzaki KM3A and really don't want to do this again prematurely. After reading comments I feel validated about my practice when I sail with the motor shut down. Now, what is collective advice on transmission setting when motor sailing? At times I find the wind is perfect for a sail (not talking about rails in the water sailing), but also have need to run my Yanmar 3GM to charge batteries after long time on hook. My current practice is to leave tranny in forward setting and reduce engine throttle to find sweet spot where prop shutter is minimized. Look forward to your opinions.

Hunter replacement stanchions
Replace for safety and appearance
Deck fill caps for most Hunter sailboats
In stock, these caps will fit most boats newer than 1990
Cabinet catch for many Hunters
Used on a variety of Hunters from the Legend-era to present. In stock!
Hunter faucets and parts
Replacement fixtures, hoses, sprayers, washers, and more.