lock down bolt

Bdozz

Jun 24, 2018
Macgregor Venture24 Long Lake
Hello, I have a 1969 venture 24, I am looking for some information about the keel lockdown bolt, I have no hole in the keel trunk for a lockdown bolt. Any information on why my boat would not have one, or how to figure out where to install one would be appreciated. Thanks

Jun 25, 2016
Venture 21 Minter Bay
I have V21 and it may not be similar to yours... If you can lower the swing keel all the way while on stands in a yard (I know, not thst practical...and maybe a toss up to dropping the keel to see if there is actually a hole) you may be able to calculate where the hole should be. Some previous owner may have glassed over it if water splashed in and there could be evidencenof that on the trunk.
Mine is about an inch from the end of the keel and about an inch from the keading edge. That would out the hole toward the forward edge of the trunk and a couple inches below the top.
That said, my boat came with a bundle of 3/8 inch wooden dowels tonuse as pins and I don't recall ever sailing with one inserted. Maybenthe design of that keel is such that one is not needed.
Good luck!