Loading outboard motor to dinghy

Oct 7, 2005
Hunter 41DS Brownsville, WA
Loading a Honda 2hp motor or similar from the aft end of our Hunter 41DS to a Zodiac dinghy is difficult for an older person like me (77 yrs old). Are there any clever ways to lower a motor down that would make it easy?

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Loading a Honda 2hp motor or similar from the aft end of our Hunter 41DS to a Zodiac dinghy is difficult for an older person like me (77 yrs old). Are there any clever ways to lower a motor down that would make it easy?
I use my spare main halyard. I take about 20 feet of line and tie one end to the outboard motor lifting handle and the other end to the halyard. This gives me enough halyard line in the cockpit to lead it off the stern. I let the admiral work the winch and the only weight I have is the horizontal weight while I guide the motor from one mount to the other, those being on the stern rail and the dink. Garhauer makes a nice motor lift that my friend has on his 44DS. My version is free. Good luck.

richk

Jan 24, 2007
Marlow-Hunter 37 Deep Creek off the Magothy River off ChesBay
Here is what we use...(see picture)

picture attached...it's a Kato Marine crane

Attachments

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
use the boom... attach a block & tackle to the end of the boom, hoist the topping lift to raise the boom to create some headroom, then hoist the outboard with the tackle and swing it out over the dinghy....

the real problem with using any method other than you hands, arms and back, is that the dinghy is bouncing one direction, the mothership is rolling the other direction, and you are trying to keep from falling in the water while making the transfer. unless you are on a mill pond...

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
I have a pole mounted hoist. I can lower my motor, a Lehr 5 hp @ 57 lbs, with one hand. My previous motor, a Yamaha 4 stroke, 4hp was 67 lbs. Very easy with this setup. It is made by Ocean Marine Systems.

The photo below shows the Yamaha mounted on the dinghy. The enclosure is hiding the Edson outboard mount. This has been a very convenient way for me.

Attachments

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Embrace the horror of using oars.
pros
light weight
stow easily
no gas storage needed
no starting problems
does not make the boat go as as fast but has unlimited range
maintains a active lifestyle (important for us old farts)
can be use as an anti boarding device in a pinch
can be use to "pole" around the boat to find which side is shllow when aground
no maintenance needed
they are quiet while in use
it is salty

cons
it requires effort
does not allow you to waterski
you don't get there as fast
you can't see where you are going easily
it takes some practice to learn

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Embrace the horror of using oars.
pros
light weight
stow easily
no gas storage needed
no starting problems
does not make the boat go as as fast but has unlimited range
maintains a active lifestyle (important for us old farts)
can be use as an anti boarding device in a pinch
can be use to "pole" around the boat to find which side is shllow when aground
no maintenance needed
they are quiet while in use
it is salty

cons
it requires effort
does not allow you to waterski
you don't get there as fast
you can't see where you are going easily
it takes some practice to learn
With a hard dinghy I absolutely agree, but rowing an inflatable in either current or wind could be a losing battle:cry:...

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Your engine with oil and a full tank of gas will be a tad short of 30 lbs. Lifting and carrying the engine by its handle and walking a few steps should be within the capabilities of the average 77 year old. Your boat has an open transom providing the capability of setting the engine down on the swim platform next to the dinghy. Once more lift the engine and set it inside the dinghy. Get yourself inside the dinghy and slide the outboard leg over the transom. With the mount screws open pick it up once more and set it in place tightening the mounting screws. Handling the weight in a series of short intervals should not be too taxing. I have used outboard lifts and find that the physical exertion in setting them up and lifting and lowering the engine are more complicated and probably more demanding than just picking the small one up. Lifts are better suited for more heavier engines in boats that may lack an open transom. I have seen that an exercise regime of lifting weights can increase and maintain a persons ability to handle loads not only for weight but for balance. I think this is the easiest way.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Bring the dink along side the starboard- or portside stern; secure it bow and stern after aligning the dinghy transom directly below where the motor is mounted on your stern rail. Have a lifting bridle on the engine (so it hangs vertically) with a tagline to the rail. Open the engine mount screws all the way then lower the engine right on to the transom. (Use a block to the deck somewhere if you need it; you're on the boat, not in the dinghy!) With practice you can drop it into position; the tagline keeps it from falling off and sinking. Of course, you now have to get into the dink to tighten the mounting screws. I go straight over the rail then down into the dink using a suspension step hung from the stanchion. To recover, reverse the process. Need only to vertically dead-lift the engine the distance from the dink transom to the rail mount using the tagline; perhaps 5 to 6 ft.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Engine hoist

I am 69 and in pretty good shape and very active and pretty strong
but have back problems for sure.
I have davits and motor hoist by Garhauer and there many others to
choose I use the engine hoist for 8hp outboard and makes my back very
happy.
I do leave the 8hp on the dinghy while on the davits when ever cruising
and do secure the dinghy with extra lines so it doesn't move around.
Go for a outboard hoist and you will not be sorry,well worth the $$$$$$.
Nick

Jun 27, 2004
Hunter 34 New Bern, NC
I have a block and tackle rigged to my bimini. If your bimini has a cross brace it is probably strong enough to use as a motor hoist.

Oct 21, 2009
Hunter 36 San Diego, Ca
use the boom... attach a block & tackle to the end of the boom, hoist the topping lift to raise the boom to create some headroom, then hoist the outboard with the tackle and swing it out over the dinghy....

the real problem with using any method other than you hands, arms and back, is that the dinghy is bouncing one direction, the mothership is rolling the other direction, and you are trying to keep from falling in the water while making the transfer. unless you are on a mill pond...
I agree with Centerline. Here is our setup. Boom works great with the arch on Hunters.

Attachments

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
We have davits and quite often can leave the motor on the RIB when we are sailing. We have been using a 6hp, 4 stroke engine, about 57 lbs. the davit can lift it on and off the dinghy but is not quite high enough to reach the stern rail.

This year we will have a 10 hp, 2 stroke, about 74 lbs. Purchased this so we can get the dinghy up on plane.

We have a dog and need to go ashore at least twice a day in all weather, the distances can be quite far anchored out in the Bahamas.

I picked up a used Forespar motor lift at a very good price and intend to use it with the bigger motor, http://www.forespar.com/products/boat-motor-mate-lift.shtml This lift is designed to be easily removed from the stern and stored away when not being used.

Trying to lift a motor on or off a pitching dinghy by hand is not fun.

Bob

Attachments

Feb 3, 2014
Hunter 44 aft cockpit Miami, FL
We have davits with a 10' RIB and a Merc 9.9 four-stroke. Does anyone use a permanently mounted motor hoist that will accommodate this setup?

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
For years I just picked up the motor, stepped into the dink and put it on or off. I had a 57 lbs tohatsu 5hp. I had a chance to buy a used crane and now my wife cranks it on and off while I just guide it. Piece of cake.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
You could just leave the motor attached to the dinghy. I've been towing a rib with a 15HP 2-stroke Merc for 17 years with no issues, whatsoever. I tighten the steering head and tilt the motor up for towing.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Your engine with oil and a full tank of gas will be a tad short of 30 lbs. Lifting and carrying the engine by its handle and walking a few steps should be within the capabilities of the average 77 year old. Your boat has an open transom providing the capability of setting the engine down on the swim platform next to the dinghy. Once more lift the engine and set it inside the dinghy. Get yourself inside the dinghy and slide the outboard leg over the transom. With the mount screws open pick it up once more and set it in place tightening the mounting screws. Handling the weight in a series of short intervals should not be too taxing. I have used outboard lifts and find that the physical exertion in setting them up and lifting and lowering the engine are more complicated and probably more demanding than just picking the small one up. Lifts are better suited for more heavier engines in boats that may lack an open transom. I have seen that an exercise regime of lifting weights can increase and maintain a persons ability to handle loads not only for weight but for balance. I think this is the easiest way.
I don’t think your lecture is helpful to the OP of what should be. Different people have different abilities, and the OP was asking for tips that would make it easier.
A small crane is th best solution I know of. I use a Forespar motor mate and it works well.

Last edited: