Lines....

Sep 5, 2018
Hunter 170 Northfield, NJ
Just going over my lines.

So Page 33 of the Hunter 170 manual is the Rigging Specs.

I do not have a Mainsheet or a Jib Sheet. Well I have 1" or 7/8" (not sure) line that is the 28' long. This line had a divit at the mid point like it was used for a jib sheet.

I look on the supplies section of this website and found they sell the Mainsheet for $61 and the Jib for $40.
Now I am a bit confused why as the specs calls out 3/8" by 28'.

West Marine sells line at $1.52 a foot so each is $42 for the Sampson line they sell on this website.

So can anyone explain this to me? I am thinking that one end of the mainsheet has a loop crimped into it.

What I have from an unmarked pile of ropes as best I can figure:
WHT/RED 1/4" x 46' main halyard
RED roller furling line
WHT/BLU 3/16" x 22' Topping lift
YEL/ BLU 3/16 x 11' Outhaul (spec calls for 8')
WHT/RED Vang line, that is a unit and must be right.

Some others:
WHT/BLU/RED 1/4" x 11'
WHT/RED 3/16 x 24'
WHT/RED 1" x 28'
WHT/BLU 5/8 x 15'

I also have some various larger (1" diameter soft white) lines that are for tying the boat up I guess.

So what do people recommend I do for lines?
I need to get a main and jib sheet.
What other kinds of lines should I have with me?
Is there a perfered color scheme for the lines?

Thanks

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Good question. The manual is pretty skinny on what type of rope to buy.

Color is not important.

Main 28 feet of 5/16 or 3/8 spun polyester single braid. It feels nice on hands. Think bzzzz or salsa. Put a splice or buntline on purchase get 30 for the splice.

Jib same thing but 5/16 spun poly single braid. You could even go thinner if you can grip it.

Roller furler 4mm double braid. No stretch, stiff line.

Rudder uphaul and downhaul should be 1/4 nylon double braid. The nylon is like a bungee super tough bungee cord that take up the line the clamcleat gives up. I use gold for out of water (sun) blue for down.

Get some nice prepackaged 3/8 nylon double braid for tying up.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
...Well I have 1" or 7/8" (not sure) line that is the 28' long. This line had a divit at the mid point like it was used for a jib sheet....
Was this a typo? I can't think of anywhere on that boat you would want to have a line that heavy.

Sheets need to be big enough in diameter to grasp & small enough to fit in your blocks & cam cleats. I do everything with double braid. I think that I have 3/8" for my main sheet & 1/4" for my jib sheets. Bobby's suggestions are probably good. The lines that you would buy off of this board would probably be good & require little effort on your part. I like red tracers in my port side jib sheet & green for the starboard. I like the main sheet to be any color that is different from the rest of the lines on the boat. But, that is just the way that I like to do it.

Don't go too big on the roller furler line. If you do, it will not fit on the drum.

As for dock lines, I carry a single 25' 3/8" line on my 170. I leave the eye splice around a bow cleat. I tie it up to a dock cleat, then loop it around another, then tie it back to a stern cleat. A pair of 10 or 15' lines would also be a good choice for short duration tie ups. Depending on where you tie up & for how long, you may also want a 20-25' spring line in addition to the pair of 10-15-footers. I don't really carry much in the way of dock lines on that boat because I normally only tie up for about 5 minutes when launching & putting it back on the trailer. 1/4" dock lines would be plenty strong for that little boat. I just have 3/8" because I swap dock lines around between a few different boats, & that is a size that works for all of them.

Sep 5, 2018
No typo on the 1" line. I am only guessing that it was used for the jib. At the center of it the line had an indent that matched the eyelet on the jib so I made a guess. I was just putting the stuff together in my back yard cause I wanted to see the boat together. I had no idea what I was doing, seriously. I was only making guesses.

I found the rigging guide a while ago but never got around to comparing what I had to what the guide said.

FWIW,
I have a good Main Halyard, Roller furling line, and Vang line. There is a line that matches the requirements for the Topping lift and one that is a bit long but the correct size for the Outhaul. I have some really heavy like 7/8" lines for dock use along with some other incidental lines and flat lines.

When I did the mock up I used a line that fit for the Main sheet, but none of the lines matches what is called out in the spec sheet. I am guessing the guy used whatever. He belonged to a yacht club and used the trailer just to move from the storage lot to the crane lift. I have a set of steel cables that he used to lift the boat.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
wow, I wouldn't think a 1" line would go around any cleat found on a 170, much less through a fairlead or other fitting.

Apr 16, 2017
My dad got me 50 ft of 1" braided nylon as bday gift when i was 12. Used it as a rope swing. Could climb up to that 20 ft branch hand over hand like easy.

He got it from the USS Capadonno. If it can hold a frigate at the docks, it should steady a 170 jib np :).

Im thinking shorefun line is home depot playground braid.

Sep 5, 2018
Ahh I had it in my head 1", I went down to take a picture and looked at the line and realized it is 1/2" and I measured 1/2" and by the time I made up the post it got to be 1".

So I have attached all the lines I have. The picture 92203 you can see the vang and the other lines that match length and diameter of the specs. The furling line is on the boat with nice figure 8 knots so it can not come out of the tube!! The other pictures are the various lines that I have.

Yes, you see pinball machine parts in the background.
PC092203.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2017
My centerboard line used to be 3/8 double braid, but when i added a block i replaced it with the old 1/4 halyard. With the extra block it is easy to to grip the smaller diameter (especially since its super fuzzy from being original). Ill replace that soon with another spun single braid with a no stretch parallel core. I road trip with the centerboard on a rubber roller. You will ruin even 3/8 line if you road trip with it cleated in the raised position. The core will thin out from the bounce.

If you have a reef in main get about 25 more feet of 1/4" double braid (like halyard).

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Unless we are talking boats over 7,000#, the only thing I use 1" line for is pulling a jeep out of a ditch.