Registered users don't see ads

Lines aft

Discussion in 'Mid-Size Boats' started by woodzy, Dec 2, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. woodzy

woodzy

Joined Sep 21, 2014
    70 posts, 6 likes
    macgregor 25
    US southern ca.
    I've got a 1982 Cat 27 and would like some insight on running my main halyard aft. Does anyone have a diagram on how to do this.

2. reeder

reeder

Joined Jul 12, 2011
    21 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 27
    US Stockton Lake, MO
    Out the exit block on the mast to a turning block on the cabin top to a rope clutch then winch.
    As the forward halyard exiting the mast on the starboard side in the pic.
    [​IMG]

3. Joe

Joe

Joined Jun 1, 2004
    6,165 posts, 196 likes
    Catalina 27
    US Mission Bay, San Diego
    If you have internal halyards..... there is already an exit from lower mast... it's a simple task of turning the corner at the hatch cover and sending back to a halyard winch. An external halyard(runs outside the mast), will require a deck mounted block... either stand up or fixed 90 deg.... If you don't like clutches... you can install a cam cleat with a fairlead (wire guide) to keep halyard captive.... place it forward of the winch so you can use the winch for other things, such as a spinnaker halyard. If you can afford it, self tailing winches are pretty handy for halyard applications. A Lewmar 15 single speed (or similar) is more than adequate for Cat 27 halyards.
    BTW you should be able to use self tapping screws for attaching turning blocks or organizers if you are over the mast brace/bridge zone.... Look in the cabin, under the mast atop the compression post, there is a wide piece running athwartship... it's 3 or 4 inches thick with wood core.

4. David in Sandusky

David in Sandusky

Joined Nov 8, 2007
    958 posts, 61 likes
    Hunter 27_75-84
    US Sandusky Harbor Marina, Lake Erie

5. woodzy

woodzy

Joined Sep 21, 2014
    70 posts, 6 likes
    macgregor 25
    US southern ca.
    Thanks everyone lots of info. Joe, I will have to look but I think I have a 15 winch on mast. But i might use winch for traveler. Just another project but this is a must . I put a lazy jack on it and a line to the cockpit will be much safer. Thanks again you guys.

Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!