Lines aft

woodzy

Sep 21, 2014
Catalina 28 Oceanside Ca..
I've got a 1982 Cat 27 and would like some insight on running my main halyard aft. Does anyone have a diagram on how to do this.

reeder

Jul 12, 2011
Catalina 27 Stockton Lake, MO
Out the exit block on the mast to a turning block on the cabin top to a rope clutch then winch.
As the forward halyard exiting the mast on the starboard side in the pic.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
If you have internal halyards..... there is already an exit from lower mast... it's a simple task of turning the corner at the hatch cover and sending back to a halyard winch. An external halyard(runs outside the mast), will require a deck mounted block... either stand up or fixed 90 deg.... If you don't like clutches... you can install a cam cleat with a fairlead (wire guide) to keep halyard captive.... place it forward of the winch so you can use the winch for other things, such as a spinnaker halyard. If you can afford it, self tailing winches are pretty handy for halyard applications. A Lewmar 15 single speed (or similar) is more than adequate for Cat 27 halyards.
BTW you should be able to use self tapping screws for attaching turning blocks or organizers if you are over the mast brace/bridge zone.... Look in the cabin, under the mast atop the compression post, there is a wide piece running athwartship... it's 3 or 4 inches thick with wood core.

woodzy

Sep 21, 2014
Catalina 28 Oceanside Ca..
Thanks everyone lots of info. Joe, I will have to look but I think I have a 15 winch on mast. But i might use winch for traveler. Just another project but this is a must . I put a lazy jack on it and a line to the cockpit will be much safer. Thanks again you guys.