Line size for lazy jacks on Catalina 30

Jun 27, 2005
Catalina 30 Cape Coral Fl
Looking for the correct line size for my 1989 Catalina 30 Lazy Jacks.Thanks

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
I would say 3/16 or 5 mm. Make sure that you buy a lot of that line. Also before you buy, consider if you plan to have the lazy jacks support the boom or not. They shouldn't normally (so the line can be thinner and lighter).
Some people use a coated SS wire for the top part (and you can buy it pre-made).

You can buy the kit at this site (http://shop.catalinaowners.com/prod.php?13698). I would say that the 92' they supply is not long enough. If I remember correctly, I bought 120' for my C270. Also, they suggest 5/16 line; I think it is too much.

CD sells a different kit (and I think, I like it better - fewer moving parts).

Marek

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If you are not supporting the boom, go as light as possible and keep the overhead weight down. More is not better.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I used really small line: 4mm. Mine are 'stowable' - i.e. I store them at the mast except for dropping the main. Therefore they're not going to tangle the battens when raising the main, and the sail cover still fits.

Boom is supported by a rigid vang.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I just now received this email from a friend. He says this info is not guaranteed, but maybe keep it in mind...

... The last two years, West has had a 1-day sale on bulk rope. An AWESOME sale. 40% off ALL BULK ROPE. Every type, flavor, color, etc. FORTY PERCENT. Awesome. The problem is, they announce it at 7:00 AM, for that day and that day only. But I have noticed a pattern. The last two years, it has been on a Friday around 23 January. This year, that would be either 20 or 27 January. So, if you plan ahead, you may be able to take advantage of it. Sure, at 40% off, they may still not be the cheapest price going. But it gets them so far into the competitive range, with full access to the entire product line, that it sure is worthy of note. Harry R.S.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I just now received this email from a friend. He says this info is not guaranteed, but maybe keep it in mind...

... The last two years, West has had a 1-day sale on bulk rope. An AWESOME sale. 40% off ALL BULK ROPE. Every type, flavor, color, etc. FORTY PERCENT. Awesome. The problem is, they announce it at 7:00 AM, for that day and that day only. But I have noticed a pattern. The last two years, it has been on a Friday around 23 January. This year, that would be either 20 or 27 January. So, if you plan ahead, you may be able to take advantage of it. Sure, at 40% off, they may still not be the cheapest price going. But it gets them so far into the competitive range, with full access to the entire product line, that it sure is worthy of note. Harry R.S.
GREAT INTEL!!!

At 40% off I really doubt you will find it anywhere for less.

Also remember its good for on-line sales as well.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Yes, WM does usually have a bulk rope sale. I bought 120' of dyneema for lifelines last year. That 40% made it cheapest to go with WM.

Obviously for lazy jacks you can use almost anything, but 40% off the fancy stuff is a pretty good deal. (Unless WM way overpriced it in the first place)