Line and Bumper/Fender Storage?

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I was reading another thread on the H34 What's under H34 Starboard Cockpit Locker Shelf?, and it got me to thinking.

Currently on my H31, my spare lines are in the quarter berth hanging locker, and bumpers/fenders are in the port side of the stern lazarette.

Where do you guys store your spare lines, and bumpers/fenders?

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
The two dock lines which come with the boat, and all of our fenders, including the one spare fender, go in our starboard cockpit locker. We start pulling them as soon as we're heading down the fairway but we should really wait until we're out of the marina in case we have to do an unplanned docking.

If it's just my wife an I, we may pull the fenders up and lay them along the toe rail, still clipped in, since we generally stay in the cockpit when it's just the two of us.

Our spare lines go in the starboard locker next to the swim platform because we use them to tie on up the floaties, also in that locker. when we anchor.

This question has made me think...I should rig up one of our spare dock lines as a spare spring line. With loops at both ends, the dimensions are critical, though we used to dock without a loop to go on the dock cleat.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
The two dock lines which come with the boat, and all of our fenders, including the one spare fender, go in our starboard cockpit locker. We start pulling them as soon as we're heading down the fairway but we should really wait until we're out of the marina in case we have to do an unplanned docking.

If it's just my wife an I, we may pull the fenders up and lay them along the toe rail, still clipped in, since we generally stay in the cockpit when it's just the two of us.

Our spare lines go in the starboard locker next to the swim platform because we use them to tie on up the floaties, also in that locker. when we anchor.

This question has made me think...I should rig up one of our spare dock lines as a spare spring line. With loops at both ends, the dimensions are critical, though we used to dock without a loop to go on the dock cleat.
Since my club rafts up a lot, I carry multiple spare dock lines, and a full set of bumpers (about 6) aboard. I also carry a spare set of jib sheets, and the good remains of two sets of halyards.

The dock lines are in the ports seat locker while the rest are in the quarter berth hanging locker.

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
If I were in bigger waters than 2 mile wide by 21 mile long lake, I'd carry more spares. We've also never rafted, though I am interested in learning how and starting to do it more as we get more social on the lake.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Chip - All our lines, of all lengths, materials, and configurations, are in the aft laz, Port side. They are layered by frequency of use. Everyday docklines are on top, extra docklines (for doubling up/storm prep) are next down. On the bottom are long kedging lines. Off to the edge, at the Port hull wall, are the tertiary anchor and rode, as well as a 5:1 handybilly for MOB retrieval (to be used in conjunction with the main halyard).

Fenders (we have six cylindrical and one large ball) are in various places when we are on board. The ball sits on the coach roof, lashed for immobility. The two biggest cylinders get tied to the shrouds, up high so as to not interfere with vis. The four smaller cylinders go in the starboard side of the aft laz (when we choose to stow them).

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Chip - All our lines, of all lengths, materials, and configurations, are in the aft laz, Port side. They are layered by frequency of use. Everyday docklines are on top, extra docklines (for doubling up/storm prep) are next down. On the bottom are long kedging lines. Off to the edge, at the Port hull wall, are the tertiary anchor and rode, as well as a 5:1 handybilly for MOB retrieval (to be used in conjunction with the main halyard).

Fenders (we have six cylindrical and one large ball) are in various places when we are on board. The ball sits on the coach roof, lashed for immobility. The two biggest cylinders get tied to the shrouds, up high so as to not interfere with vis. The four smaller cylinders go in the starboard side of the aft laz (when we choose to stow them).
Aft laz port side is where my bumpers live with the stern anchor and rode. Aft laz starbord side has a Jerry can of spare diesel, fill funnels, and outboard motor fuel tank.

Aug 23, 2011
Hunter 31 Georgetown, MD
Greetings,
I got a couple closet door hangers from TJ MAX and hung them on the inner lip of the starboard aft lazerate. The ones I found were powder coated white. similar to the pic attached.
Lines and bumpers hang from them. Only problem is when I need to access the "bunker", but its pretty simple to remove and lay on the other seat.

I'll get a picture next time down.

Mike

Attachments