Lifting Rings for dinghy

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
Just received my PVC Zodiac and as I suspected I need to add lifting D-Rings to my bow as it will live on Davits. Looking for thoughts on anyone who has done this? The dink weighs 62 lbs and the outboard is a Tohatsu 3.5 at 40 lbs.
I searched the forum and there some older posts out there and I would be curious how you attachments have held up over time.
I already have two-part PVC glue for my Boat Number plates (thanks to those of you who recommended Boatnumberplate.com!!
My real question is should I do it myself or have it 'professionally' glued at a Service shop?
Thanks!

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I attached large D-rings to the inside of the front of the tubes on my Achilles. Be sure they are reinforced with webbing and not just a molded piece holding the ring. Never a problem in 10 years. Use your 2-part glue.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
What type floor do you have and and do a search for setting up a dinghy
on davits,don't remember where I saw a web sit that shows different ways
for a dinghy on davits.
I don't trust the rings glued on the dinghy to last and use the wood stern for hooks and would run heavy duty straps under the floor in the bow.
nick

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Our Zodiac and motor weighs around 225#. We had lifting rings installed in the front by a professional inflatable boat repair facility in RI before we left the states and used eye bolts in the transom for the stern. They lasted about 18 months. We cleaned them up really really well, removing all the old glue, literally sanding the insides of the lifting rings (with a wire wheel in a drill) and the place they were going on the tubes (sandpaper) till there was no more shine to the material, then removed all sanding residue.
We then washed everything with acetone and making sure not even fingers touched the parts to be glued, we attached them with 330 adhesive. We held the lifting rings in place, about 45 minutes, as it's a pretty quick setting glue, then left them to cure for 48 hours.
Suffice to say, when we replaced that Zodiac some 6 years later, after hanging on the davits every night during that time, when we weren't at sea, we had to cut the material of the old dinghy to get them off to put them on the new one.
Apparently, the 330 adhesive is a better adhesive than the professionals use, but the real secret is to prepare the surfaces of the lifting rings or patches and the tubes to the point that the glue will adhere. I have never had any luck with contact cement or any of the glues recommended by the inflatable manufacturers, even Zodiac.
I got my first inflatable in 1971, so I've had many years to perfect my inflatable boat gluing skills.
A side note: for tiny holes I've had great success with superglue. Same clean up procedure, but only just a ¼" around the hole. Then a dab or two of superglue and hold patch in place with a fingertip for a minute or so.
PS. Our Zodiac manual emphatically states that you must not use the floor for lifting the dinghy.

Last edited:
May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
Our Zodiac and motor weighs around 225#. We had lifting rings installed in the front by a professional inflatable boat repair facility in RI before we left the states and used eye bolts in the transom for the stern. They lasted about 18 months. We cleaned them up really really well, removing all the old glue, literally sanding the insides of the lifting rings (with a wire wheel in a drill) and the place they were going on the tubes (sandpaper) till there was no more shine to the material, then removed all sanding residue.
We then washed everything with acetone and making sure not even fingers touched the parts to be glued, we attached them with 330 adhesive. We held the lifting rings in place, about 45 minutes, as it's a pretty quick setting glue, then left them to cure for 48 hours.
Suffice to say, when we replaced that Zodiac some 6 years later, after hanging on the davits every night during that time, when we weren't at sea, we had to cut the material of the old dinghy to get them off to put them on the new one.
Apparently, the 330 adhesive is a better adhesive than the professionals use, but the real secret is to prepare the surfaces of the lifting rings or patches and the tubes to the point that the glue will adhere. I have never had any luck with contact cement or any of the glues recommended by the inflatable manufacturers, even Zodiac.
I got my first inflatable in 1971, so I've had many years to perfect my inflatable boat gluing skills.
A side note: for tiny holes I've had great success with superglue. Same clean up procedure, but only just a ¼" around the hole. Then a dab or two of superglue and hold patch in place with a fingertip for a minute or so.
PS. Our Zodiac manual emphatically states that you must not use the floor for lifting the dinghy.
Thanks for the tips and info! I have an air floor, so the D rings will be going as far forward as possible on the tubes. I plan on using a 6.5" with 2" D ring setup.
One more question, some say to do this with the dink deflated, others say inflated so not sure which way to go?
Thanks

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
U bolts on the wood transom, and glued on D rings on port and strbrd near the bow. The bridle set up is coated lifeline wire with o rings at both ends, then reaching out to swaged hooks port and strbrd, fore and aft. Looks like a stick figure with no head. Sorry......no pics. :(

Last edited:

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Just curious why you can't use the bow rings used for a bridle?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Thanks for the tips and info! I have an air floor, so the D rings will be going as far forward as possible on the tubes. I plan on using a 6.5" with 2" D ring setup.
One more question, some say to do this with the dink deflated, others say inflated so not sure which way to go?
Thanks
The distance between your davits is the distance between the lifting rings and the transom.
We do this with the dinghy inflated as hard as possible so the glue dries to the curve of the tube (same with patches). If it's deflated I can't imaging it would work, because the tube will bend as it inflates but the glued piece won't and something will have to give.

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
Thanks Capta, inflated does make sense to me. I plan on using witchard U bolts on the wooden transom.
Bob, the reason you can't use the towing rings is because the bridle will chafe the dink rather quickly.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
The logic around deflated is you can stack stuff on the patch applying pressure between the patch and the hull (here patch is the lifting ring) this is difficult if not impossible when the tube is inflated. When putting on my boatnumbers patch - they recommend deflated, - I'm a rebel I did it inflated.

Les

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
The logic around deflated is you can stack stuff on the patch applying pressure between the patch and the hull (here patch is the lifting ring) this is difficult if not impossible when the tube is inflated. When putting on my boatnumbers patch - they recommend deflated, - I'm a rebel I did it inflated.

Les
Right Les,
I also will be adding Boatnumbers patches and the deflated/inflated thing is unclear. I'm much more concerned with getting a good permanent attachment for the lifting rings. My brain says it makes more sense for the patch to be at maximum 'stretch' to set....

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I patched my Zodiac Zoom deflated ad Less described. I weighted it down. It stood up for years but the patch was only Ø1.25 round.