Lift arm for freezer- Legend 40.5

fero

Jan 15, 2010
Hunter Legend 40.5 Victoria
I intend to buy the subject gas cylinder at Hunter owners shop, there are 3 different ones there 20, 30 and 40 (I assume with different force). The lift arm was missing when I purchased the boat, and there is no sticker indicating which one was there before.
Can anyone advise which is the right one.
Many thanks
Frank

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I thought I could help, but I think the info that I have will only confuse you more. Digging into my boat info files, I found the following:
Gas strut for refrigerator is Lift-O-Mat FVR20 0100N 102/95

Gas Struts: Spring Lift Corp, 113 Commerce Drive, Monticello, AR 71665, (501)367-2404; refrigerator Pt # SL3-30#, Freezer Pt # SL3-20#

I think I replaced the refrigerator lift arm, but maybe I replaced both refrigerator and freezer.
The SBO website indicates that the lift arm is the same for the refrigerator and freezer, but the lid sizes are quite different, so I am puzzled.
I think that the above information was printed on either the original lift arm or the replacement, but I don't know which.
I checked for a picture but I do not have one that shows any markings.
I do know that what SBO sent me fit and worked perfectly.
Sorry I can't be of more help. I would call the SBO store and ask them for their best recommendation.

fero

Jan 15, 2010
I did call them today, they couldn’t shed more light other than suggest a middle of the road bet. Without any other info it would be my choice as well.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
If I were close to my boat I would check it out. But I'm 155 miles away. I will look through my receipts to see if I can find the sales record from SBO. I keep all that kind of records, but the challenge is to actually find it. I will let you know.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Saw a boat at the last boat show that had a spring in compression to hold the lid open. It was about 1/4" in diameter and tightly wound. To close the lid you simply folded it and closed the lid. When the lid was open the spring was extended straight and rigid, but not expanded.

fero

Jan 15, 2010
Thanks Rich for your effort, I had a same arrangement (folding spring) on previos boat (Bavaria 41), after it colapsed several times on my better half, I took it out and installed a sliding latch to keep it in open position. In the meantime I have a strap with a plastic hook.
Regards
Frank

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
If I were close to my boat I would check it out. But I'm 155 miles away. I will look through my receipts to see if I can find the sales record from SBO. I keep all that kind of records, but the challenge is to actually find it. I will let you know.
I went through this when I had my 40.5
I reccomend replacing them both whenever one needs replacing.
The correct way to install these is so that the gas spring acts as an “over centre” lever, insofar that the gas spring keeps the lid closed as well as open.
Hunter also installed the southco latches on both lids which were a constant maintenance item. The screws which attached the latch to the lid constantly stripped out of the thin fibreglass . You will need to beef this up.
I ended up glassing in brass threaded inserts. Bit of a fussy job, but worth it

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I just found my notes in my log. I used 20 pound for both. SL-3-20. I think it's 20" / 12" stroke, but you need to check that carefully. If so, it should be SKU 90458 in the store here. Good luck.

fero

Jan 15, 2010
Thanks for the input, fridge lid has the cylinder 20/12 without any indication or sticker of model. I can see that PO removed the southco latch. For the freezer the cylinder brackets are there, I ordered the “30” model (after talking to someone in SBO), should get it in next few days. Will let you know how it worked out. It would be nice with the overcenter feature.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
How about just measure the weight of the door and choose suitable strength of support-arm? Too light arm and it won't support, too heavy and door may auto-open or not able to close.

fero

Jan 15, 2010
Good idea Ken, I will try it once I locate a fish scale. The “weight” should get lighter as the lid gets more and more open, but than one would have to figure the effect of the geometry i.e. leverage effect due to the position of the cylinder brackets.
I received the “30” cylinder and it is way too strong if used without latches (I found traces that there were 2 latches on the freezer lid), it would stay open. So we continue using the strap with a hook in the meantime.

Sep 10, 2012
Hunter 450 Gulfport, Florida
Keep in mind that the pressure cylinder has significantly greater lift when warm than cold and being a refrigerator it should get cold and a freezer much colder. I installed new ones and they lift the doors well when warm and not well when cold.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2009
Hunter 40.5 Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico
I've replaced mine several times, used Attwood Gas Springs SL30-1 which are 30lb force. And if you need any retaining rings, they are 3/8" external SS

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37.5 Jacksonville FL
I intend to buy the subject gas cylinder at Hunter owners shop, there are 3 different ones there 20, 30 and 40 (I assume with different force). The lift arm was missing when I purchased the boat, and there is no sticker indicating which one was there before.
Can anyone advise which is the right one.
Many thanks
Frank
Replaced strut on my 37.5. Probably similar. Tried the 40 lb. Too much pressure making it very difficult to close lid. My wife can do chin ups on lid when open. 20 lb was OK but 30 seemed to be the best compromise

fero

Jan 15, 2010
Just for info:
Nearly 3 years later: when I ordered the lift cylinders in 2019, I told myself a spare would be good to have.
Last week the frige cylinder let go, so I installed the spare. It worked so so for a few hours, zero force after.
Not very happy, this time I ordered only 2.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Just for info:
Nearly 3 years later: when I ordered the lift cylinders in 2019, I told myself a spare would be good to have.
Last week the frige cylinder let go, so I installed the spare. It worked so so for a few hours, zero force after.
Not very happy, this time I ordered only 2.
I just replaced mine. 15" 40lbf.
What lbf did you use?

Ken