Lift A H260 Water Ballast with a boat forklift?

Nov 20, 2004
Hunter 240 -
Has anyone had experience lifting a H260 or other water ballast sailboat with a boat forklift to store on a rack? Recommendations?
Thanks,
Jeff

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Well wouldn't the tongs on the fork lift ride on the hull in the same place as the skids on your trailer? Seems like it should be fine.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
If they have straps it should be OK. Don't even think of it without the straps.

Nov 20, 2004
Hunter 240 -
If straps were used then it would be placed on straight bunks on the rack, not curved bunks like the trailer. Based upon not using the forklift it would probably not be recommended to place on straight bunks... I guess I am talking myself out of this as a storage option.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I can speak on this one. If you place the Hunter water ballast on forks, you will take the risk of damaging the hull and/or the ballast tank lid seal because in essence you are placing three thousand pounds on two spots of the hull only with forks or even on a rack with straight boards. Nix that Idea quickly and never bring it up again. This is a warning because I saw the aftermath. Now if you have a forklift capable of using straps, still dicy but you would need to place the straps where the lift marks are on the hull and you would need to tie the straps each side together so they do not slip and do not let anyone tell otherwise. This also applies to any other water ballast sailboats and I saw a customer who did not heed my advice doing that with a Catalina 250 waterballast.

Nov 20, 2004
Hunter 240 -
Thanks CD... I read you often as well as the forum in general, I just hadn't participated. I was looking for the easy way to store my H260 in FL for the summer under a covered roof hopefully to reduce the heat buildup and mold and mildew issues.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I have used forklifts in the past but the hull of any water ballasted boats will not support being lifted at all unless straps are used but even when lifting any hull with straps, it is always a good idea to prevent the straps from slipping off as both the transom and bow are curved upwards.
When covering any boat with a cover, light colors regardless under roof as the darker colors actually produce heat build up underneath.