Lifesling2 on sale today

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
West Marine has a today-only sale on the Lifesling2 for $99. Do a lot of you keep them on board? Would you recommend it? We sail a fairly mild reservoir, no waves, currents etc. Our plan has been to throw a line bag and/or a flotation cushion. I don't think our boom kicker would be of much use for hoisting someone out of the water. We do have an open transom with a deep swim ladder. Sale

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Justin, the Lifesling is a product seen on many boats here in the Pacific NW. Like all things, it is an item to try out and practice with at least once a year. It is easy to access and floats behind the boat as you make a circle around the MOB to drag the sling to the person.
It is not the only tool. You still need to develop a way to get the person out of the water. They need to be conscious to use the life sling.
You need to take the sling out of the bag at least yearly to clean it up as it is vulnerable to mold and slime sitting on the stern rail.
The exposed poly line is vulnerable to UV rot from the sun. I remove the exposed section and re tie a new section on the end.
Like all tools learn to use it before you need to use it.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
We've carried one for years. It is not a substitute for a PFD, but works better than just a line. The Lifesling is best used to retrieve a conscious person. Once deployed, circle the MOB and pick them up like you would a water skier, by sailing in a circle around the MOB the line will cross the MOB and then the person can be pulled to the boat. If the person can climb aboard, great. If not, the sling with a 6:1 block and tackle will allow the MOB to be hoisted aboard.

The vang probably won't support the person's weight, move the main halyard to the end of the boom and tension it. The mast and halyard should support the weight.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
I have one. It came with the boat. I had to replace the bag when I bought the boat as the PO had left it in the UV all the time. Inspected the guts and they were OK. I take it off the rail when we are not at the boat and store it in my lazzarette to keep it dry and out of the UV. The bag just Velcro's to the stern rail and I use a heavy snap hook to secure the line to the stern rail. Never have had to use it but it is nice to know it's there and easily deployable.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Sounds like a good safety item to have on board. I like the idea of using the main halyard if necessary, although with our huge bimini, attaching it would be tricky. It's workable, but we may have to plan for a second MOB :yikes:

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
I have an eye on the bottom of my boom at the end that I can hook a block to. I think it was put there so that boom could be rigged with the mainsheet and traveler at the end or as in my case at the center on the cabin top. I would think that you could pre-rig a line (line with a bowline at one end and a shackle at the other) to run around the end of the boom that you could then hook a block and tackle to - just a thought.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Sounds like a good safety item to have on board. I like the idea of using the main halyard if necessary, although with our huge bimini, attaching it would be tricky. It's workable, but we may have to plan for a second MOB :yikes:
What is your current MOB plan? Is it solid?

Then look at the capabilities the Life-sling can add to MOB rescue, and see it it makes your plan better. For most it will. But you have to have a good plan to start, on nothing will make any sense.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Like JRacer one came with my boat. As JS said lots of them up here in the PNW. Most have bags that are taped up and look like shit on the pushpit. I made a sunbrella cover using Sailrite's video. http://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Make-a-Lifesling-Cover-from-Sunbrella-Fabric-Video
The boat also came with the companion lifting block and tackle.
Some how I doubt Trish could hoist my fat xss back onto the boat. I think the davits would work better
Les

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
We have an MOB plan, but the flotation sling would make it easier to recover, especially with non-swimmers onboard. Besides insisting that they wear a PFD, what are your plans for someone who can't tread water? We make sure they stay in the cockpit. We have high lifelines.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
If you have a Lifesling aboard and are depending on it, you need to practice with it. Actually hoist someone aboard from dock or water. For example, if you are planning on using the boom for the upper block, it might not work. When the lower block meets the upper, where is the rescuee? May be out of the water but still overboard with no more purchase room on the Lifesling. You might have to put the upper block directly to a halyard and hoist the upper block higher. This means the rescuee comes aboard somewhere around midship. The tail line that comes from the upper block needs to go through a block (or something) to get a fair lead to a primary winch. Set that up during your practice session so you dont have to design it under use. And it will take a winch to hoist someone aboard..I think there are some you tube videos for Lifesling...

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
We have an MOB plan, but the flotation sling would make it easier to recover, especially with non-swimmers onboard. Besides insisting that they wear a PFD, what are your plans for someone who can't tread water? We make sure they stay in the cockpit. We have high lifelines.
Well for sure the lifesling assumes a casualty that can at least grab the thing. If they are 'out' you have a totally new situation. You have to be able to bring the boat right to them, and then know if the best plan is from someone else in the water, or a boat-hook and a reach to get a line on them for a dead-lift. Depending on water and conditions we have a plan for both.

Non-swimmers wear vests 100% they are on deck.

Jul 29, 2004
Hunter 340 Lake Lanier, GA
I got this a few months ago when WM had it on sale for this price. Replaced a 15 yr old horseshoe buoy that was rotting in the UV so we would be Type IV compliant.
This one has a protective cover for the poly line outside the bag. Note it does not have the lifting block and tackle, it's just the buoyant strap and poly line in the white cover. We always have extra Type IVs in the cockpit and are trained/practiced for a figure 8 recovery, and are assuming the MOB can use the swim ladder. Mostly double hand and single hand on our lake, and I find this arrangement acceptable.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...Most have bags that are taped up and look like...
My bag bit the dust, too. I never did like the way it attached to the stern rail. Bought a new one, will make my custom mounting, and sell the new bag with the old sling for 1/2 price of the bag.