lifeline repair/replacement

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
During a period of high wind and high tide my boat was pushed far enough over to catch the upper lifeline atop a piling. The lifeline stretched, pulled through the top of the first starboard stanchion, and the boat would have suffered more damage had not a fellow boater jumped aboard and pulled the retaining pin to allow slack. Her called me and I was able to get there and use pliers to remove the stretched and abraided lifeline from the top of the piling before the tide got much lower. I would like to cut the damaged lifeline away and replace that section, threading it through the repaired stanchion before reconnecting it to the remaining lifeline. My question regards the viability of this repair. Will the repair provide acceptable strength? Is it feasible to attach a connector to the lifeline section in place?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Um, how will you "reconnect" the new to the old lifeline? Cable clamps?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I had a broken upper lifeline after Hurricane Katrina from snagging on top of a slip piling as the water receded. I replaced (both uppers) using CS Johnson hand crimp fittings and new wire.. I have been very happy with the lines .. somewhat tedious but a job that has to be done exactly ..
Another option (but expensive) is to use mechanical connectors like Sta-Lock or Suncore.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I have not seen a cable-to-cable connector. BUT, maybe you can manage new fittings to create a new gate? Or place a new toggle next to a stanchion?

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
I suppose the question not asked is why would you want to repair it. For about $100 you can have a new one from Rigging Only. You won't need the high dollar part, the turnbuckle only the threaded end and the fork end. They swage them on for a nominal fee, about $7.50 each. Any connector will cost about 1/2 the cost of a new lifeline. Cheap considering it is a last best chance device.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
SailRite is supposed to have some kind of deal. Thanks for your suggestions.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 430 Shelter bay, Panama
the only sailrite i am finding is for sewing machines and related marine stuff. would you expound on the sailrite you are referring to for lifelines.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
the only sailrite i am finding is for sewing machines and related marine stuff. would you expound on the sailrite you are referring to for lifelines.
Uummm.... well, what is it you are looking for if not "marine"? You might have to look at their index. There is also West, Defender, Fawcetts, Bacons, ,,,,