Lewmar V2 Windlass on Hunter 376

Feb 24, 2014
Hunter 376 Havre de Grace
Three seasons ago, I bought a '98 Hunter 376. Not being the original owner, I could not attest to the condition or make / model of some equipment; the windlass being one. I have been replacing what does not work, is obsolete or just could make me happier. The windlass was temperamental; I put some TLC into it and she worked almost all the time, but I lacked confidence. Every so often, I would get the failure to perform. A couple years back, I switched to an all chain 5/16" G4 rode, last Winter brought the up sized 20 KG anchor and new foot switches. I'm already thinking this weight might stress the old guy. Then came Spring commissioning work and chain maintenance .... the old guy died. I could probably run him over to a motor shop for a look, but let's face it, I'd be happier with a new stronger windlass. With some serial number research on the Lewmar obsolete product site, learned my windlass is Simpson-Lawrence Sprint Atlantic. S-L made them in 1997 and quickly succeeded them with the Sprint Atlantic 1000. Lewmar suggested the V2 as direct replacement. A bit of research (ACK to this post https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...awrence-windlass-failure.150969/#post-1024344 by AndyK, May 2013) supported the idea that the V2 was a good replacement for the Atlantic, not just on rating but in terms of installation. Nothing against The Yard, but I can't afford the prices and there's much knowledge to gain via DIY. Granted, I'm doing jobs for the first time, maybe the only time, and I take my time. Here's my experience with this windlass job.
Removing the Atlantic wasn't too bad once I figured out how the gearbox / motor attached to the spindle deck unit. 4-bolts hold the motor gearbox into the above deck unit; the bolts must be removed from below. Once free, the motor gearbox assemble basically fell off the spindle. It was heavy and not much space in which to work. The deck unit had to be separated from the deck (it was caulked in place … thankfully not 5200) using a putty knife, mallet and plastic shims. Once free, there were two large holes exposed; one for the hawse pipe and the other for the deck unit and spindle. The deck unit hole is 2.5" and the V2 needs a 3" hole. Upon inspecting the V2 Gypsy Drum unit, I had some doubt as to whether the unit was too tall to fit under the anchor locker deck lid - did not want to cut a 3" hole and find out in test fitting that the V2 was too tall. The V2 gypsy drum unit is about an inch taller than the Sprint Atlantic. The ruler said it would fit, but just barely; have faith and cut the hole. The V2 comes with a ring base plate to mount on the underside. Placing the plate on the deck, I could see the existing bolt holes were just fine, no need to enlarge and same pattern. I used the ring base plate as a template to sketch out on a small square of plywood the hole pattern for the studs and the hole center to be enlarged (thanks AndyK). I drilled out the 4 stud-holes and bolted the plywood in place beneath the deck to provide material for the pilot bit. Using a 3" hole saw, I enlarged the deck hole. A test fit of the V2 showed a perfect fit with no issues closing the anchor locker lid. I cleaned up the old caulking and made the deck ready to accept the new deck unit. The V2 comes with a rubber mat to fit between the winch and deck. A small bit of trimming was necessary to adapt the mat to the hawse pipe opening as they are different shapes (mat's hawse pipe hole is round; actual hawse pipe hole is not round). Used GE Silicon II door / window caulk (neutral cure, uses alcohol not acid) around holes and underside of mat to provide sealing and adhesion; repeated on top surface of mat for underside of winch. The V2 accepts 4 threaded studs in the base. These extend through deck, backed with the base plate ring and tightened down with nuts. The studs are not used to mount the motor gearbox unit. Set the V2 into place and bolted in from beneath. Trimmed around the deck unit with calk. Weatherproof and done. Attention now to the motor gearbox unit and figuring out how to wire it up. Noted the V2 has two positive (D1 upper, D2 lower) and one negative (middle) posts for the conductors. The Sprint Atlantic used one positive and one negative post. Checking the contactor box, the V2 box uses two positive post connectors (D1, D2 to motor) and one positive post for source from the 90 Amp breaker. There are (3) male blade switch connectors; (2) which run to the up / down switch(s) and (1) ground to the motor. The motor ground returns to the boat ground. Definitely different than the contactor used by the Sprint Atlantic which ran 1 each positive / negative cables to the windlass and jumper the switch ground to the boat ground. Bottom line, (based on 25 feet distance) need to pull length of 4 AWG for the D2 positive and a 12 AWG for the switch negative. All other existing wiring can be reused. The Quick 900 foot switches in the bow required no change (they are powered from the 5 amp windlass circuit on the house bank; the windlass motor is powered via 80 amp circuit off the starter battery). I noted which switch conductors on the Atlantic contactor box went to Up and Down foot switches (important later). Time to mount the motor. If you know the H376, then you enjoy the little access panel in the V-berth head liner that provides access to the windlass - not much space there. Room enough for one person two arms and nothing else. The V2 uses a 3" key on the spindle to align with the motor gearbox. Drop the key out (and it falls down into the chain locker) when you are trying to hold a 40# motor overhead in a tight space with no visibility and ye shall be truly screwed. This is the hardest part of the whole job; getting the motor into the space (it fits but just barely - the V2 motor is larger than the Atlantic (length and diameter) and the overall length with gearbox is greater. Directions say to lightly grease the spindle (I suppose to aid in sliding the motor on); I can't see where this made any difference, but following instructions is important. I used a small loose cable tie to hold the spindle key in place whilst I maneuvered the motor onto the spindle and found alignment between the slot and key. This is pretty tough since you can't see anything, you don't want the key to fall out, and this whole thing is heavy, above your head in a tight space and you are lying on your back trying to lift, hold and align. After a few attempts and some liberal cursing, the motor slid on and went completely to the top. The quick connector is nice, but you must ensure the motor is flush to the deck unit cylinder so the latch will catch both deck and motor flange pieces and hold them together. Close the latch, tighten it down and you are done. Back to the electrical work. Changed out the contactor box to use the V2 box, joined the legacy negative cabling to a mounted post, replaced the 90 amp windlass breaker, connected D1 cable to D1 motor post, D2 cable to D2 motor post, boat ground and switch ground to motor negative post, connected Quick foot switches to contactor box (in noted order as removed from the Atlantic's contactor box). Powered up for the test - everything works fine and in the correct up / down switch directions. Installed the gypsy, threaded the chain through, reconnected to the anchor and then trialed - all is well. All said, not too bad. The biggest PiTA was snaking the new cabling and any work in the locker (mounting, terminal connections). Pretty sure that I at least avoided several hours of Yard labor rate and material cost; and I gained more knowledge about my systems.

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
Great description! Any pictures? I am going to have that same project in the not too distant future.

Thanks!

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Hunter 380 Cape Coral, Fl
I have a suggestion and it is what I'm doing to my 2000 H380 that appears to have the newer Anchorman Sprint Atlantic 1000 windlass.. It appears the cheaper Lewmar V700 might be a good replacement at lower cost , although the V2 is much better and cost almost 3 times more.

With youir knowledge and wiring now, this s/b a snap for you to do!

Hook up a remote controlled up and down switch to the windlass, so you can operate while at the helm (or anywhere on the boat). They are quite cheap and under $40 bucks with 2 remotes.....

https://www.amazon.com/Anchor-Remote-Windlass-Wireless-Controller/dp/B00C0SQE0K

Per reviews it works with your V2.....

Regards,

Viper

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2014
Thanks for the suggestion. I debated installing a remote switch - sounds good to me (I like gadgets). The windlass was an unexpected large expense - coming after some big renewal / replacement projects over the winter. I didn't want to spend money now on a nice to have ... like a remote :>) maybe another time.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Also, Installed a Lewmar V2 a couple of years ago. I dreaded the thought of drilling a 3" hole thru the deck and somehow not having it fit! Have to agree with you, pulling the 1/0 cables were difficult and I had banged up knuckles to prove it. Also, lifting & fitting the motor into the cramped space in the forepeak was pretty difficult. I also used silicone to seal it and I wound up with a few deck stains where I inadvertently got some silicone beyond the area that I masked. I installed a hard wired hand held remote in the anchor locker. All things considered, it worked out well and I am satisfied with the quality of the Lewmar windlass. The only complaint about Lewmar was that the installation instructions were terrible. It took days of internet research to figure out how to install & wire it. Total cost for the windlass and about $400 of tinned copper cable was approximately $2000. Got to believe that a yard would have charged $1500 to 2000 in labor; its a lot of work. Took me about 3 entire weekends to complete .

Feb 24, 2014
Also, Installed a Lewmar V2 a couple of years ago. I dreaded the thought of drilling a 3" hole thru the deck and somehow not having it fit! Have to agree with you, pulling the 1/0 cables were difficult and I had banged up knuckles to prove it. Also, lifting & fitting the motor into the cramped space in the forepeak was pretty difficult. I also used silicone to seal it and I wound up with a few deck stains where I inadvertently got some silicone beyond the area that I masked. I installed a hard wired hand held remote in the anchor locker. All things considered, it worked out well and I am satisfied with the quality of the Lewmar windlass. The only complaint about Lewmar was that the installation instructions were terrible. It took days of internet research to figure out how to install & wire it. Total cost for the windlass and about $400 of tinned copper cable was approximately $2000. Got to believe that a yard would have charged $1500 to 2000 in labor; its a lot of work. Took me about 3 entire weekends to complete .
I'm an engineer .. the software kind not the electrical one. When I first looked upon the electrical diagram it didn't make sense to me - the problem being Lewmar tried to illustrate all control scenarios using one diagram and no words. I went home and slept on it; the next day it was clear as could be. I needed to match the numbered icons to the scenario being implemented, trace the diagram paths to determine polarity and it made sense. A bit cryptic, but it got done. Overall, a few more words of Lewmar instruction would have made things easier. I did the installation across 3 visits. One trip to understand how the Atlantic was installed (I knew the wiring, not how the Atlantic was mounted), removal of old unit, planning the installation and obtaining materials (cabling, plywood adapter, 3" hole saw). Second visit was to prep the deck surface, test fit and mount V2 deck unit, run cabling, prep terminal connectors, remove old breaker, repair too large hole in cabinet panel, install new 90A breaker. Third visit to replace old/new contactor box, installed a small motor mount (surplus) to join the legacy 1.0 negative motor / boat ground cables, mount the motor/gearbox, make all terminal connections, perform electrical test, install gypsy, reconnect rode/anchor, perform full operation test, clean up the mess and put all access panels back in place. So, if I'm generous and assume The Yard has done similar work a hundred times and is more efficient than me, I'd give them 8-12 hours labor @ $85 /hr plus tax = $725 to $1,100. That's what I saved DIY. I spent $2,000 on the windlass and materials. Only wish the Atlantic had gone up a week earlier, I could have saved 10% at the Defender warehouse sale :0 Timing is everything.

rfrye1

Jun 15, 2004
Hunter H376 San Diego
I still have the OEM on my H376. I replaced the motor several years ago, then last year it started to give me problems again. I started to pull it apart, and fortunately it just needed a good cleaning. The gearing and drive unit was just all gunked up with mud and sand coming off the chain. Works like new!

Feb 24, 2014
Bob - Just curious, but do you have foot switches and if so what is the brand / model? Mine had Quick 900's when I got the boat, but I don't know if this was OEM equipment or not. They work fine, my only concern is the flip top covers are flimsy. Being a fellow H376 owner, I'd also like to hear your experience with impeller replacement on the 3JH2E engine.