Lewmar Pro-Fish 1000 Windlass

Aug 10, 2013
Catalina 36 MKII 1721 New London Crockers Boat Yard
I have a Lewmar Pro-fish 1000 on my Catalina 28 MKII. Came with the boat. I believe it is 8 year older. It has worked fine for three years until this spring. I used to check my anchor and rode in preparation for the season in LI. When I reeled it in it worked fine. I went to test the deck foot switches I heard clicking sound but the chain did not work either up or down. I have plenty of battery, I checked the breaker, all the wires seemed ok. I wondering if the control solenoid was the issues. I "You tubed" it and it said: Over time, the points of contact will become fouled, “carboned up,” and will no longer make good electrical contact and that perhaps the copper plate inside needed to be cleaned from corroded contacts. So I removed all the contacts and opened up the solenoids cleaned the electrical contacts points, no sign of correction, but cleaned them with a wire brush recontacted all the wires and tested the foot switches and only heard the clicking sound no chain movement. Gypsy seems free and not jammed. Any suggestions?

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Sounds like you may need a new foot switch. I can help if interested, send me a private message.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Can you rotate it with the winch handle socket on the side? You should be able to short across the switches to activate the relay. I have that windlass with the paddle controller. The cable was cut when on a DelMarVa circle. Then, I realized a second switch at the helm would be a good idea. I used the rocker for that, the one that came with the 1000.

Add: the footswitches may be/should be on a different breaker than the windlass, with an inline fuse. Mine is. Did you check the big breaker for functioning?

Last edited: