Lets talk flotation on a DS1 or DS2

Apr 25, 2015
Oday 26 Oscoda, MI
So I have heard a lot of guys talk about replacing their flotation in their DS1 and maybe even DS2. Question, have most used just swimming pool noodles and also, what sort of access panel did you cut in and mount, how big and where? This would both be for under the seats and under the bow area correct? All my DS1 has now are the 3'4" drain hols drilled in them near the sole. IF one thinks the foam that was original is no longer good and might not keep the boat afloat, I want to make this my next project.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
There has always been a lot of advice about this on the Day Sailer Class Association Web forum. You do not need to join the DSA to use the forum, although you will need to set up a free log-in profile. Most owners of DS Is that have upgraded their under seat flotation have added inspection ports to the forward end of each seat.

Sep 23, 2013
O-Day Daysailor 1 Hyannis
Wind therapy, I need advice on this topic, too, and can tell you that my starboard bench seat insulation (or that space sealed in by the bench anyway) is heavily weighed down with water. I need to find out 1) if I install a 5" porthole, will I be able to air out the bench insulation, or do I need to remove it. 2) how in the world does one remove it via a simple porthole? I know you don't have the answer, but I'm tacking on my question to yours in hopes that someone can help us!