Let’s build a Sailors Music Playlist...

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
a crew light on their feet helps

you notice these girls are down at the docks just hoping to get invited out sailing

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Grew up on this.
Same here. My mom grew up with Nick, who lived just around the corner from her house in Coronado CA. When they started producing records, we got all of the latest albums.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
My tastes vary with the location & conditions. Some of my choices come from unlikely sources.

In a heavy blow in the North Atlantic, you might find me listening to something like this -
By the way, in his later years, his guitar work was still outstanding -

In lazy conditions, in southern latitudes, like below N26, you might find something more like this coming from my boat -
Surprisingly, her dad was one of the Sex Pistols

I'm also a pretty big fan of the Junior man from Texas -
The least likely source of a Ventures/Hollies cover I would ever expect.

Speaking of unlikely, did you ever think you would hear Jeff Beck doing Rockabilly -

Dickey Betts is another musician that's just plain hard to beat -

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
i am a preachers kid, known to be the worst kids on the block
Wow, so many Preachers kids on board! Methodist here. I know I posted this before but this is my ear worm on a daily basis. I gotta learn the guitar chords for this one...

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2004
Oday 28 East Tawas
There is a woman named Eileen Quinn who sings about sailing and sailors. Some of her music is very funny some nostalgic and some a bit sad. Talented and interesting. I recommend her...

Nov 24, 2014
Catalina 310 Staten Island
Just saw this boat over the weekend. It is obvious what is music to his ears. BTW, this is drug addict music. Riding That Train, High on Cocaine, Casey Jones better Watch Your Speed
P1040201.JPG

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
We have 2 for when we fell sporty, also played them at the start of our River Race last year and since it isn't a serious competition was enjoyed by those that could hear. We opened with Bestie Boys Sabotage followed by AC/DC Thunderstruck, my daughter loves it, we at least project attitude to compensate for our lack of skill...

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Great thread to resurrect as we head into winter. If I do listen to anything, it's got to fit the weather and the work. Old shanties are great 'cause you don't have to have the earbuds in or the stereo loud - it's all in your head.

Here's one to get the blood boiling if you're feeling lazy and need to get stuff done:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Old shanties are great 'cause you don't have to have the earbuds in or the stereo loud - it's all in your head.
:plus:
Our family song is an old sea shanty called 'The Old Dun Cow' my daughter's job was to shout "MCINTYRE!" at the appropriate time in the song.
Really, it's more an Irish drinking song than a sea shanty, but I learned it from a collection of 'Songs of the Sea'.
:beer:

-Will (Dragonfly)