Let me pay you to sail your Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
I see that I got on. I don't expect much action but you never know. Do you actively go looking for sponsors. I know of a couple of brewery's and distillers in our area but not sure how to approach them

Jan 9, 2013
Hunter 27 Mooresville, NC
I have boat envy now, for real.
I pity my boat.
*Sigh*
Poor old tired out "Muskrat Love".

She'd be a tremendous inland lake advertising platform for duct tape, cheap scotch, itch cream, or hair plugs....anything else is out of her league...:)

Jim

Mar 6, 2012
Hunter H33 (limited edition cabin top) Bayou Chico
I have boat envy now, for real.
I pity my boat.
*Sigh*
Poor old tired out "Muskrat Love".

She'd be a tremendous inland lake advertising platform for duct tape, cheap scotch, itch cream, or hair plugs....anything else is out of her league...:)

Jim
hey now, dont go bashin on a classic plastic hunter that way:naughty: lol i would be appalled if this company had no interest in older hunters, then again they're pandering to the rich and extremely rich so :cussing::cussing::cussing: em all if they dont like cherubini designed hunters.

Feb 21, 2011
Hunter 410 Lorain
Not Selling Anything?

I gotta ask: If you're "not selling anything" how come you're charging $36 a square FOOT for these "photo sails????" Capt Bill on STARGAZER

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
{sigh} Not sold to the skipper, sold to the advertiser. Unless you just happen to want a set of sails with a big picture on them.

This is really not a difficult business model to understand. The advertiser pays the freight for the materials and "media." The boat owner simply provides a platform for the sails to fly on.

Levin

Apr 7, 2007
Hunter 340 San Diego
ALCON:

So I just have to comment on this from a "curiosity as to how things work and who's paying who" standpoint. So as far as I understand it the forum is set up that you cannot "sell" things here on this board. There is a place for this (the classified) but as I understand it you are not allowed to do this on the main boards. I have seen this happen in the past and I have seen the posts taken down pretty quickly. So when I see this go up I'm expecting the same (while Aaron isn't selling anything he certainly is "soliciting" something... which is very similar). So you can imagine why I'm surprised to see Phil comment on this thread not that he is taking it down but that he supports what Aaron is doing. Then later goes on to defend this individual’s business practice and model.

...seems strange to me... why so much support for what this individual is soliciting?

Take care,
-Levin

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I understand the concern, as we've always been very strict about commercial posts in the forums.

I have bent the rules a bit here because Aaron is offering an opportunity for some owners make extra money. Yes, it is a solicitation in the sense that he's recruiting owners and it's a commercial enterprise. But OTOH, it is somewhat different because he's not selling anything, he is offering employment.

I assumed -- perhaps mistakenly -- that making this widely known among our community would be a good thing. We're not charging Photo Sails anything for the publicity, we have no interest in the company, it simply seemed like a fun thing to do. (FWIW, if this were paid advertising it would not be in the forums.)

I would think the opportunity to charter one's boat without the classic drawbacks of rookie skippers, hard use, drunken guests, etc., would appeal to some users. I certainly apologize to everyone if I miscalculated.

In the context of all this I consider Aaron a guest in this forum and I am surprised by some of the comments in the thread. If the proposition isn't for you, it isn't for you. No problem. But the hostility of some of the posts has been bizarre. Rude, even. Photo Sails is a very simple premise that is clever, creative, and logical. Big advertisers pay him to fly these sails. He needs more boats to fly them on. If somebody's going to get paid for that, why not you?

But as I said, if I miscalculated and you guys think someone is going to jump out of the bushes and take your wallet, I made a mistake. Or, if I have caused you question the integrity of the forum, I am deeply sorry. Our only intent was to draw attention to what many owners dream about: an opportunity to make some extra income from your passion.

Okay, I have my flame retardant suit on... have at me. :)

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
ALCON:

So I just have to comment on this from a "curiosity as to how things work and who's paying who" standpoint. So as far as I understand it the forum is set up that you cannot "sell" things here on this board. There is a place for this (the classified) but as I understand it you are not allowed to do this on the main boards. I have seen this happen in the past and I have seen the posts taken down pretty quickly. So when I see this go up I'm expecting the same (while Aaron isn't selling anything he certainly is "soliciting" something... which is very similar). So you can imagine why I'm surprised to see Phil comment on this thread not that he is taking it down but that he supports what Aaron is doing. Then later goes on to defend this individual’s business practice and model.

...seems strange to me... why so much support for what this individual is soliciting?

Take care,
-Levin

What is different, is Photosails is not selling anything on his post. He is offering to PAY YOU to fly his sails. He is looking for boats in regions that he can market to advertisers to sponser / pay for sails for you to fly on your boat. Phil thought this would be an opportunity that some may want to take advantage of and judging by the enrollement so for has been successful.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I was a bit skeptical at first. Even from Phil's first teaser post. In the end, the only thing that bothers me is that I don't sail in his market area. That and I doubt my boat is big and fancy enough. I applaud Phil for giving Aaron space here.

Mar 6, 2012
im cool with it as well, not trying to be offensive in my earlier post i was more or less prodding to see if i could get some light shed on us older/smaller hunters, including kermit we now have two in a two page (so far) thread that are curious about the demographic, if this is something thats exclusive to the 40+ less than 10yr old hunter club then i think it would be good to elaborate on that. right now it seems like its open to all but hasnt been said as such yet everything we have seen in example pics and ppl signing up and having applications go thru are 40+ft 10yrs old or less (sorry if im off a little) boats, in a lot of places and a lot of ways the smaller guys get pooh pooh'd for having "tiny, older" boats instead of getting a "real" sailboat, so far its just unclear if photosails is interested in the smaller/older demographic.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
That would be a good question to address to Aaron. I'm not sure if he's still monitoring the thread so you might want to send him an email through his username on this post.

In the course of learning about the company Aaron mentioned that they like to work with Selden rigs for a technical reason that has to do with sail handling. That speaks to Hunters newer than ~1998 or so, but I have no idea if that's a preference or a requirement.

As for size, it makes sense that they want the largest sail area they can get so larger boats would be preferable. But again, I'm doing just a little better than guessing.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
I would think that Photosail would not give a rip how old you are and location of the boat would seem to be a more important issue than size.
Course we all know that size DOES matter so.......

Mar 6, 2012
well id love the idea of taking some investors for a ride in the classic plastic cherubini around pensacola bay and show em what used to be. im just a huge fan of the cherubini hunters and it slightly pains me to see them slighted because they're definitely not an inferior design, i know a lot of people that have legend series an newer boats that constantly pine for their old cherubini back. took a friend out close to thanksgiving this past year and all he could talk about was how much it made him miss his 33c like mine, how well behaved it was and how well it beat and reached compared to his 37.5. personally i would be honored to sport some photosail canvas in the future when i get more of my maintenance done, simply to represent the good ol days.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
I have bent the rules a bit here because Aaron is offering an opportunity for some owners make extra money. Yes, it is a solicitation in the sense that he's recruiting owners and it's a commercial enterprise. But OTOH, it is somewhat different because he's not selling anything, he is offering employment.
You haven't "bent" the forum rules, you've unabashedly violated them. From the forum Terms of Use:

Participation in SailboatOwners.com is subject to your compliance with our Terms of Use.
Please do not post any form of advertisement for commercial products, boats for sale, or used gear, except in the designated areas of the site.

The fact that this guy is not requesting money of the forum users for a service or product is irrellevant. He is here for one purpose, and that is to promote a commercial enterprise. He absolutely makes money from this business and he is absolutely here to advertise it.

Apparently as "Administrator", you get to make up the rules as you go.

FredV

Oct 16, 2011
Hunter 37-cutter Philadelphia, PA
Hey Phil,

Don't get discouraged! You'll always find a plethora of "naysayers" for just about any new idea. Remember people's initial reaction to Ford's Model T, the Wright brothers' Kitty Hawk flight, the first PC, the first cell phone, the first fiberglass boat....! It's a lot like Congress - if a Democrat suggests it, a Republican will hate it.

And as far as "administrator's rights" to bend the rules goes, it seems only logical to me that you not only have those rights, but should use them whenever you see fit! Photo Sails seems like a good idea and a real opportunity for some forum members to make a little extra cash. I applaud you for suggesting it!

Now, might there be any way to fly their sails while still on the hard in south Jersey?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Apparently as "Administrator", you get to make up the rules as you go.
You mean like allowing someone who makes money cleaning boats advocate for cleaning boats?

Since Phil established the rules, its a pretty safe bet he understands their intent better than most

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
fstbttms: Well, I did write the rules here back in 1996 so, while I don't make them up as I go, I do reserve the right to bend them 10 degrees to accommodate things that I think will be of special value to the community. You are perfectly welcome to take issue with my judgement, I accept that we won't always agree. And I'm certainly not always right.

If you have complaints that are more specific to your particular situation please feel free to contact me via PM or email.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
If you have complaints that are more specific to your particular situation please feel free to contact me via PM or email.
I have no complaint other than I consider it disingenous for the moderator to make special exceptions that clearly violate the ToU. If one can advertise, all should be able to advertise. And I'm not talking about myself. Anybody who is familiar with my postings here or elsewhere knows that I have never advertised my services on a forum and advocate for in-water hull cleaning only as it pertains to proper and necessary boat maintenance and when it is relevant to the thread in question. I post about the topic only as someone who has some expertise in it. I am certainly not here to drum up business for myself.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
I think this one falls under "it is good to be the King"
and
Long live the King ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.