Les and John’s 2019 EXTREME Winter Cruise

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Michael, tell Bob and Christine thank you for there warm thoughts.
We have had three great days on the water since leaving Saturna. Tell them they may have given us the warmest reception on the coldest day/night of our cruise in our Cruise Log.

We are still a couple of days from home port.

Tonight is Poulsbo. Then Seattle on Saturday, with a float be Bremerton to show Ward the US Navy ships. Big celebration dinner in Seattle on Saturday night. Kick Ward off the boat early Sunday (I think somewhere around 03:00) so he can catch an Uber to the airport and his flight home. Then Mahalo will head back north 5 hours to Everett and home port.

May the weather gods give us fair passage. They certainly tried to test us.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
A.I.S. is still showing you in Port Townsend. Are you not moving yet or is AIS turned off?

Oct 22, 2014
Oh... Port Townsend was a very nice stop.. I had a bit of early morning coffe while the baby’s slept...
4B68D0A6-7A7E-4BCF-AB0B-9392C0526F90.jpeg
Once the sleeping beauties were up we gathered at the local Cafe for a wonderful breakfast. Ward and I treated the Captain to a kitchen free meal.
Then we were off again, this time to Kingston. We slipped into a Reciprocal moorage and went up town to have beer and dinner.

The Fresh Handmade Beer Batter onion rings went quickly. I tried to get a picture. You can just see Les’s fingers grabbing one of the last in the basket.
98E65A15-658D-4679-8346-8F304E2261CE.jpeg
They were mouth watering good.
It feels like we have entered the banana belt. The winds die down at night. No snow to shovel in the morning. Ward is saying “Man this is nice. I thought you said the whole trip would be like this.”
Wind blowing making for good sailing, and sun sharing the sky with the clouds. You can go outside without a fur lined parka.
Today we are in Poulsbo. It is like stepping into a Norwegian town.
Quaint walking streets
98158B95-4768-4B4C-AA0D-9F8549F6B7F3.jpeg
Bakeries
0C80FDBB-F799-4DFF-AB5E-CE5C70C278E7.jpeg
An Viking Longboats
D5CE1275-A4C0-4D6E-A8FA-671EB1537557.jpeg
Red headed or blonde friendly folk smiling with a welcoming greeting. This is a fun town.

Oct 22, 2014
Spent a quite night in Liberty Bay at Port of Poulsbo.
E4AF52FB-7788-4C94-B7EF-596F3EB0161F.jpeg
Well this is the last day with 1st mate @Ward H on board Mahalo and the 2019 EXTREME Winter Cruise.
Had a meet and greet with @Phil Herring last evening over beer and pizza. Closed the place down. Drank the last of their Scotch Ale. Talked sailing and cruise events, with Phil grinning and shaking his head in disbelief.
722F2DF8-660A-4161-9481-65FC46E3AB7E.jpeg
Today takes us down the sheltered waterways by Bainbridge Island and last summers WWII unexploded mine event. The Bremerton Naval Ship Yard and then Seattle. A nice dinner then early to bed for Ward, as he is heading off to NJ on the early flight.

Getting called to the dock to help untie the lines as Ward takes the helm and backs out of the tight fairway.
What could possibly go wrong.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Kingston, Paulsbo, Bell Harbor, you guys are making the grand tour. All fun places. I'm still jealous.

Ken

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
Swing around to Lake Union tomorrow, 1 PM, and join the Goosebumps race. Libations after at Ivar's Salmon House at the North end of the lake.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Thanks for the invite @nightowle but I’m ready to sleep in a comfy warm bed. Ward has left for the airport for an early flight.

John and I are really hoping that our slip is not iced up. Last discussions with the marina was they were. They said to use transient dock till it in freezes.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
It was beyond fun to meet .. guys I only knew from their avatars.
I agree with you, Phil. Living in Annapolis I get to meet the folks who come all this way for the October Boat Show( Princess of the lake stays on my mind). I didn't get to join them until they had their check, but the offer of a drink on me got them to stay.

Oct 22, 2014
I didn't get to join them until they had their check, but the offer of a drink on me got them to stay.
And a quick meritorious offer it was.

We would have stayed since “you had me at hello sailor “ :laugh:

My only disappointment was we did not get to go sailing with you. I am holding your promised rain check in a safe place. Only hope I can remember where my safe place is.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Looking forward to a debrief once you get settled and rested. Most curious about how many miles under sail verse motor. I get frustrated with the number of flat calm days in summer and like the shoulder seasons for that reason.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
This was an extreme adventure and I hated to see it come to an end. Les and John are great guys to cruise with, very capable and willing to share their knowledge. I learned so much about cruising, sailing in seas and weather conditions that I never expected, visited great ports and met great people.

Listening to @Phil Herring talk about the history of SBO and @Michael Davis talking about his cruising experiences were special treats.
I was disappointed I didn't get to meet @Stu Jackson in person but did enjoy talking to him on the phone. I also missed @Meriachee but appreciated and took his advice about the Sylvia Hotel lounge.:beer::beer:

John, Les and I had great discussions on various boat systems, especially the electronics and electrical upgrades I'm working on. I got some great ideas from what I saw on Les's C36.

So now it's back to the Barnegat Bay but with experiences that will make me a better sailor, some great stories to tell and plans to extend my sailing area beyond the BB.

Here are some photos from the last couple of days sailing:
John
423.jpeg

Les
444.jpeg

Ward, John, Les
IMG_3254.jpeg