Length of mast raising pole

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
It also wouldn't be that difficult to add a quick clip where the leverage system attaches to the deck so the whole thing could be easily removed - which is would be the AL bar plus line plus blocks plus quick connects.
Last week I decided to build a whole new support system for my jin pole that would include snap clips at the four cable attachment points. I fabricated a nice pretty new system and made all the support lines exactly the same length as the old ones that had been bolt and shackle secured. oops ! if you do this, then there won't be enough slack in the lines to hook them in place on the mast and deck, due to the shape of the hooks. if the cables were made long enough to do so, then they would be very slack once they're hooked up. my solution was to build yet another cable support system, with the mast attachment point secured with a bolt through the mast instead of using the snaps there. just something to consider if you use similar snaps. the up side for me as a trailer sailor is that it should save 10 minutes or so, at both set up and break down. 20 more minutes of sailing time. yaaaa ;) .

P1040828.jpg

Apr 5, 2017
MacGregor 26m Bradenton
Thank you all for your input. As Walt imagined, this would be a twice-a-sail activity, not just for going under a bridge now and then. You've given us some things to consider. Now we just need to decide if 1. we think we could engineer a quick way to release the gin pole ( probably) and 2. we want the hassle of this every time we go out (probably not). We can always rent a slip on the other side of the bridge. If just kills me, though, to do that when I have a perfectly good dock in my back yard! For now I'm just going to pout a bit.

Apr 5, 2017
MacGregor 26m Bradenton
It would be enough, but we didn't think it was a good idea to have to plan our sailing around the tides this much.

Jul 1, 2012
MacGregor 26D Kirkland, WA
Thank you all for your input. As Walt imagined, this would be a twice-a-sail activity, not just for going under a bridge now and then. You've given us some things to consider. Now we just need to decide if 1. we think we could engineer a quick way to release the gin pole ( probably) and 2. we want the hassle of this every time we go out (probably not). We can always rent a slip on the other side of the bridge. If just kills me, though, to do that when I have a perfectly good dock in my back yard! For now I'm just going to pout a bit.
It's still less than the hassle we who trailer every time deal with! ... at least there's no driving, waiting at the boat ramp, rigging, attaching the rudder, filling the ballast...
If sailing out of your backyard sounds fun, I bet you could make it work. I thin you could figure out a way to rig the system so it was easier and still fit under your bridge. Or consult a local rigging company and they'll set you up