Registered users don't see ads

Lemon juice

Discussion in 'Ask All Sailors' started by All U Get, Dec 18, 2016. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. All U Get

All U Get

Joined Oct 2, 2008
    2,358 posts, 183 likes
    Pearson/ 530
    US Strafford, NH
    Hi all,

Our rafting mate was spraying his boat with lemon juice and the ICW Stain was running off. He mixed his half/half. We went shopping for ourselves and mixed it 50/50 in a garden sprayer. The brown stain came off without scrubbing, no gloves or respiratory protection needed.

The beauty was we got the juice at the Dollar Tree for a $1 a bottle.

All U Get

2. Kermit

Kermit

Joined Jul 31, 2010
    3,768 posts, 952 likes
    Hunter 260
    US Sumter, SC Lake Murray Sailing Club, SC
    Are you serious, Clark?
    I'm on my way to the dollar tree to get a roll of wrapping paper. I might just have to get some lemon juice. Thanks for the tip. And Merry Christmas!

Allan12210 likes this.
  3. shemandr

shemandr

Joined Jan 1, 2006
    2,961 posts, 258 likes
    Marblehead Skiff 14'
    US Greenport, NY Greenport, NY
    Acid is acid.
    But leftover lemon juice makes a nice Picata.

4. rgranger

rgranger

Joined Jan 19, 2010
    4,248 posts, 441 likes
    Hunter 26
    US Smith Mountain Lake
    :confused:

The acid in lemons is a carboxilic acid... as is oxalic acid etc. All carboxilic acids work well on tannins. But acid is not all the same... muriatic (HCl) will attack metals... so dont use it on metals. Sulfuric will attack organic material so keep it off cloth and skin...

Jackdaw likes this.
  5. centerline

centerline

Joined Mar 20, 2012
    3,963 posts, 174 likes
    Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25
    US Salem, Oregon
    muriatic and sulfuric will dissolve the tannin stains also, very quickly, which is due mostly to the strength of them vs the lemon juice or vinegar....
    nylon can be damaged by exposure to moderate strength acids, so be aware of what may be made of nylon on the boat, and try to keep it protected.

I use acids quite often for different things... muriatic, sulfuric and mostly hydrofluoric, and in the strengths I use them, they will all damage your clothing and skin.... different acids do work differently on not organic objects.
    getting any industrial strength acid on your hands and not washed off before the pain starts, the acid will soften your fingernails to the point that the fingernail gets a yellowish hue and begins to turn into a gel, and your fingerprints will be eaten from your fingers..... and then weeks of pain and healing with chance of permanent nerve loss..... but so far my fingerprints have always grown back....

6. Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson

Joined Feb 26, 2004
    19,532 posts, 380 likes
    Catalina 34
    US Maple Bay, BC, Canada
    There goes your personal security blanket! :)

Tannin stains, we like to call them our "boat mustache" are caused by "stuff" in the water. I've been using FSR for years, and lemon juice and also ketchup are also reported to work for a more cost effective solution. :)

My experience is that whatever you use to remove the stain, wax it immediately or else it will grow back. Why? 'Cuz whatever you use will open up the microscopic "pores" in the gelcoat and the stains will start all over again.

We FSR'd our bow before we left on our six week trip from SF to Vancouver Island last summer, and waxed right after. The bow is still clean after 850 nm.

When I'd do that, even in SF Bay without waxing, within a month I'd get the stain back.

Remove and treat is better than just removal.

centerline likes this.
  7. Kermit

Kermit

Joined Jul 31, 2010
    3,768 posts, 952 likes
    Hunter 260
    US Sumter, SC Lake Murray Sailing Club, SC
    With all of the technical-sounding replies, here's the bottom line question: Is lemon juice safe and effective? (I guess it's effective since All U Get reported that it works for him.) So maybe I should just ask if it's safe and a good idea?

8. shemandr

shemandr

Joined Jan 1, 2006
    2,961 posts, 258 likes
    Marblehead Skiff 14'
    US Greenport, NY Greenport, NY
    If I remember granger is a Professor of Chemistry. So I defer to him. Anyway, I spent most of my time in Chemistry class with my cheek firmly planted on the desk with drool running out of my mouth. I do NOT want to revisit pKa discussions....

9. SFS

SFS

Joined Aug 18, 2015
    1,133 posts, 227 likes
    Hunter 31
    US Tampa Bay
    @centerline - I'm just curious, what are you using HF for? That is some NASTY stuff. I had to play with it once in my career.

Daddio417 likes this.
  10. CapeMaySailor

CapeMaySailor

Joined Jan 12, 2009
    10 posts, 1 likes
    Hunter 340
    US Between Cape May, NJ and Ft Lauderdale, FL Cape May
    Having just completed an ICW trip, What's the Rush! has developed the mustache. What is FSR?

11. Gene Neill

Gene Neill

Joined Sep 30, 2013
    2,026 posts, 507 likes
    C-22, Albin Vega
    US central Florida

LMAO ... :laugh: You're not alone my friend, it was the only thing I ever failed, other than winning the affections of the girl who sat in front of me. She let me cheat off of her, but it wasn't enough. In more ways than one.

Lemon juice! That's an awesome tip, @All U Get, I will definitely try it. I currently use the bargain-brand toilet bowl cleaner "The Works", but when the boat is in the water, I would feel a lot better using something natural.

12. Justin_NSA

Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    4,009 posts, 423 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Cheney, KS
    Does the lemon juice stain the bottom paint as it runs down? That's the reason I use toilet bowl cleaner gel on the waterline stain. It stays put until I wipe it off. Very cheap in the store brands.

13. Sandy Stone

Sandy Stone

Joined Jun 2, 2007
    299 posts, 13 likes
    Beneteau First 375
    US Slidell, LA
    I'm curious, too. HF is used in a process unit at the refinery where I used to work, to produce high-octane gasoline. Easily the worst industrial chemical I have ever come across, with VERY elaborate precautions for handling.

14. Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson

Joined Feb 26, 2004
    19,532 posts, 380 likes
    Catalina 34
    US Maple Bay, BC, Canada
  15. Gene

Gene

Joined Sep 17, 2009
    7 posts, 0 likes
    Precision 23
    US Moraine
    I'm in fresh water but, I've found that Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover works wonderfully. I just spray it on wait a minute and wipe it off. There's very little runoff and it seems to be easier to clean with subsequent applications. It's inexpensive (WalMart) and comes in a spray bottle. I like the lemon juice idea, as well. How would it work on bird/spider stains on the topside? The Turtle Wax would make the deck slippery, I'm sure.

16. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    3,512 posts, 735 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    FSR - Fiberglass Stain Remover - is a 4.5 % solution of Oxalic Acid. Comes in a gel formula.

17. All U Get

All U Get

Joined Oct 2, 2008
    2,358 posts, 183 likes
    Pearson/ 530
    US Strafford, NH
    The juice didn't stain our white bottom paint. We're in the water so very friendly to the fish and I can use the leftovers in my rum drinks.

All U Get

18. rgranger

rgranger

Joined Jan 19, 2010
    4,248 posts, 441 likes
    Hunter 26
    US Smith Mountain Lake
    Kermit asked if it safe... for sure! And vinegar would be a good choice too. Also natural and low health risk.

I would advise against hydro floric acid (HF). HF can attack window glass ( it is how they make frosted glass) and it can attack polyester and amide bonds (resin) and it can do a real number on you lung tissue if you inhale the fumes. HCl is okay if dilute and in a Ventalated space and keep it off of metals

19. justsomeguy

justsomeguy

Joined Feb 20, 2011
    5,695 posts, 547 likes
    MacGregor, Island Packet 35
    US Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
    I hear it anesthetizes as it burns. Yeesh.

20. whatfiero

whatfiero

Joined Oct 30, 2011
    542 posts, 42 likes
    klidescope 30t
    US norfolk
    Lemon juice does nothing for scurvy thou

Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.