Legend 37.5 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marko

I am thinking of moving up to a larger boat and have been looking at a 1988 Hunter Legend 37.5. Perhaps other Legend owners might offer some advice about what I might pay special attention too in considering this boat? I have read the reviews, and see things like:

Engine Noise/vibration
Leaky ports
Gel coat cracks and deck issues

If I decide to make an offer, I will of course get a survey, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P

Previous Owner

Other Things To Look For

Marko

As a previous owner of an 89 version, we would add the following things to your list of items to look out for:

1. Deck delamination (especially near the bow and near the shrouds)
2. Keel / Hull connection leaks (especially if boat has been grounded)
3. Avoid shoal draft version (very tippy and goes sideways as quickly as it goes forward)
4. Leaking washers on engine diesel lines
5. Corroded steering quadrant (it is aluminium so check it carefully)

Apart from these few things we loved ours and it was a great boat.

Note also that most of these are common to boats that are 20+ years old.

Jan 22, 1999
Hunter 35 PENSACOLA, FL
Check your boat type

A Hunter Legend in 1988 was most probably a HL 37 and not a HL 37.5
Believe Hunter did not make a HL 37.5 until late 1989.

There is a difference.

RD

P

Previous Owner

Model Numbers

The reference to 376 in my previous post should have been 37.5.

Apologies.

M

Marko

Thank you...

for the information. Going to see the boat this morning and will look at the areas listed. If we decide to buy I will ask the surveyor to give these areas special attention.
I take it that technically she is a HL 37 not a HL 37.5, although the length is the same as the 37.5. It seems to be a common mistake since I have seen other 87's and 88's listed as the 37.5
The 88 has the centerline bed which my wife really likes.

M

Marko

Followup question about ports-Hunter 37, 1988

I am close to making a decision about buying the boat, but have an additional question.
The ports are obviously a weakness in the design, since they collect water and dump water into the cabin when they are opened. The current owner indicated that there was a type of lip that can be installed on the top of the ports to shed water. I am curious what has been the experience of other owners with the ports. Any other retrofits that have been used?

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
re: ports etc.

We've got a HL-35 with the same Beckson ports. You can go to the Beckson web site and see what they have for accessories such as the rain shield that was mentioned.

If the screen or the plastic ring that the screen is attached to isn't installed that will make it easier to leak. I don't know what it is but it is hard to make the port leak free if it is opened regularly. The neoprene gasket apparently looses it's flex quickly and you can't buy a pre-made gasket. It is sold by the foot and you have to use super-glue and make it up yourself. Dumb! Why can't Beckson sell them pre-made?

One solution is to open the ports as little as possible. If they are kept closed after awhile, with the proper knob tightening, things will seal up. Once it is leak free just leave them alone.

If you need air use the hatches, they're much better anyway, easier to operate, and get a lot more air in. We bought a bug screen from the chandlery on this web site for the forward hatch and it works great.

Keel: I've got the shoal draft keel on our HL-35 and it does very well but then it's probably a couple inches deeper IN PROPORTION to boat size than the 37. I also have a feathering prop which makes a big difference in how well the boat goes to weather. If performance going to weather is important to you then by all means get a low-drag prop because it makes a BIG difference in how well the boat will sail, performance-wise.

Over time a low drag prop will pay for itself in less engine wear (you sail more and motor less), less fuel consumption, and you'll enjoy sailing more (don't know how to put a price tag on this but who likes to sail a slug?).

Leaking washers on engine diesel lines: Yanmar says to install a new copper washer whenever the banjo fittings are opened, and I guess loosened. This is to maintain air-tight seal. If there is a problem with other fittings then perhaps someone has cross-threaded them. My 3GM-30F is 20 years old and I don't have this kind of problem, so I don't know.

Corroded quadrant: The quadrant is made of aluminum and it isn't anodized and the fasteners are stainless steel. Unless one uses an anti-seize compound these two metals will corrode which is what happens here. If the fasteners are not properly protected they will shear apart if you try to loosen them. If this happens then just buy new fasteners, apply Lanocote or something like that, put them in and it should work good for a long time. Another thing you can do is powercoat the quadrant. My brother-in-law did this for me in his plant. Nice!

Aluminum and stainless fasteners: Other problem locations are the Edson helm where the binnacle attaches. Those four bolts can easily get corroded into place. Edson has replacement screws with a special coating on them. This is only good if you can get the old ones out, though, or drill and tap new holes. Some furlers have Al-Fe fasteners and the same goes for the stainless screws holding down the winches, sheet stoppers, and anything else. But then that's true with any boat made, except for maybe a wood boat.

Gelcoat cracks are a common cosmetic issue. That does not mean to imply or infer they are ONLY cosmetic - a surveyor will be able to distinguish if they are or not.

Wiring: Boats are in a wet environment which is hard on copper. The wiring back then was not tinned and was often the minimum size. Depending on how many additional loads have been added to the electrical system over the years, and how well the previous owners have done the upgrades, it may be that the charging and battery systems need to be resized.

The icebox had minimal insulation but you might be able to increase the thickness using closed-cell foam in a can. Keep in mind, though, the stuff expands. The existing thickness can be checked, subject to accessibility, using something like an ice pick.

Holes in the structural grid: Be leery of any holes that owners have added in the structural grid. If they are large, or in the wrong place, this can be a problem but a surveyor could help. This would be true for any modern boat with a grid.

Otherwise, it's a20-year old boat so you need to expect some challenges in maintenance: fiberglass, gel coat, diesel engine, sail, bottom paint, etc.

The HL-37 has a very nice interior plan and the boat looks esthetically pleasing from the outside. In fact, I think they look really good. If your wife approves that's a major consideration.

M

Marko

Great information

John and Previous Owner.
Thank you for taking the time to share so much information. I used your lists of concerns to help me select a surveyor, insuring that these are areas that will be addressed during the survey. Scheduled for next week....

P

Previous Owner

All the best for the survey

I hope the survey is positive.

Good luck.

Jan 22, 1999
Hunter 35 PENSACOLA, FL
HL 37 and 37.5 desig

Marko,

The difference in the numbers has nothing to do with the actual length. Both hulls are exactly the same length.

The HL 37 had the early (or first) top cap.

The top cap is the molded deck cover that is attached to the hull after the boat is turned out from the the mold. This top cap determines the internal layout for the berthing areas, head, cockpit, lazzarett(s) etc.

Just under this top cap is the overhead sole or full head liner. This determines the exact layout for the below deck arrangement

If you have a chance inspect a HL 37.5 and you will see that it is a different internal layout than the HL 37.

Buy it - it is a great boat. All Hunter Legends are - it was a sad day in 1995 that they stopped making them.

RD

M

Marko

Survey/Sea Trial

Thanks again for all of the input!!
Sea Trial is Sunday, haulout and survey next Tues. I'll post the results back here.

Status
Not open for further replies.