Legend 35.5 furling problem

Jul 19, 2007
-Hunter 1995 - 40.5 Hunter Saint Andrews, NB, Canada
Glad that all the comments have given you some insight and correction to the problem. Hope you have a great summer on the water, the 35.5 is a fine boat, I greatly regret having lost mine.

Karl

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Chris,
John, When you remove the "spacers" being talked about, the furler tube will actually be totally released from the furler drum and bottom bearing assembly. Typically, the furler tube will then lower until it hits the turnbuckle, and the drum and bottom bearing assembly can be lifted (slides easily over top of the furler tube) as high as you want....
Ahhhh...... after reading this several times.... I think it's coming back to me now....
Realize, it's been a long time. Thinking about it some more, I had a real problem removing the Tack Socket. The part (Number 2 in the drawing) would NOT come out! It was like a millimeter shy of being able to but it just would not clear the tube. I had to go up the mast and take the Top Bearings out in order to raise the foil up far enough in order to access what ever it was in the drum area.
Sometimes (often?) what should be just a ten minute job on a boat turns into a multi-hour ordeal.

Attachments

May 8, 2017
Hunter Legend 35.5 Lake Balaton
Glad that all the comments have given you some insight and correction to the problem. Hope you have a great summer on the water, the 35.5 is a fine boat, I greatly regret having lost mine.

Karl
It must have been a shock loosing yours. Unfortunately bad memories persist for a longer time than good ones. Hope your new boat - coming from the same family - gives you and family great pleasure. Have good wind and good sailing.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
yeah John, it is a close fit, but it will once #1 in the drawing is out. Tilting the drum over could be problematic in confined spaces like you have, sometimes the BFH needs to be pulled out of the toolbag.

May 8, 2017
Hunter Legend 35.5 Lake Balaton
Hi all you participating this brainstorming,
We finally finished the project. We have about 9 in mast rake (fine tuning to commence), fixed the drum-turning issue and in the mean time the drum got above deck level which is in my view a much better arrangement. Thank you all.

Attachments