Leaky Ports

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Thom Hoffman

Looks like the summer to remove and reseal the cabin ports on my '81H30. Appreciate any advise and insights into techniques, solvents, selants, etc. to use in applying the fix.

T

Tim

Did it over the last few years

...on my 1981 Hunter 30. Use a sharp scraper to peel the window frame loose and pry away. The sealant in there appears to be silicone, I didn't try any kind of solvent. To reseal, I got some foam tubing to fill in the big spaces and used lots of silicone caulk. There doesn't really appear to be an easy way to do this but if you use the foam tubing, it seems to be a one time fix

J

jim oursler

Leaky Port repair

My hunter 34, 1984, had minor leaks which on closer examination were causing big trouble. I used a 1 inch wide paint scraper to push under the outside trim ring. On inside removed ports and cleaned all using razor blade scraper and acetone. Having fought the leaky port problem on several other boats with marginal results using silicons, I chose 3M 4200 sealant adhesive. Also by now I was out of acetone, so bought the 3M adhesive cleaner, which was absolutely fantastic when poured on a cloth rag at removing drips and globs on outside around the trim ring. At about $10.00.. excellent money over acetone or other hardware store adhesive removers. It turns the excess adhesive into a water substance, easily cleaned up. Replace the rubber seals. On a Hunter these are branded Grey, now owned by Beckson and can be delivered via your local distributor in a few days. I was astonished to find that my flat looking rubber seal actually begins life as approx a 3/8 inch diameter tube. The Beckson people knew what was correct

Status
Not open for further replies.