Leaky Hunter

Apr 1, 2017
Hunter 29.5 Penticton, BC
I just recently bought a 1996 Hunter 29.5 and there seems to be a lot of rainwater coming in the V birth. Not sure if it's from the Forestay Link Plate of the seal on the rub rail, anybody have any experience with this?

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Since it is localized, can you get someone with a hose and spray the area while you are inside? It is obvious as you say it is coming from topside and this has been occurring for some time. It has been a long time as a retired dealer selling the 29.5 but can you check the drain fitting for the anchor locker if any and fittings around that while you are inside with a flashlight?

Apr 1, 2017
Hunter 29.5 Penticton, BC
Not sure what the "caulking sealer" is but I took some additional photos that do show some gaps between the rub rail and also under the forestay link plate. I was shocked when I took photos inside to find out that Hunter does not use any backing plates anywhere with cleats or stanchions but I guess you get what you pay for.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Bruce, I suspect or suggest resealing the bow pulpit, cleats, fresh water filler and any cockpit drain. I bet it will be one of those. I doubt the hull to deck joint as that generally is sealed together with 5200. I would still suggest hosing down each individually first with the help of a friend and you may need to use cell phones to communicate with if you cannot hear from above. Remember the boat is a 1996 or over 20 years old and caulk does not last a life time which is a maintenance item. I would start with that sir. thanks for the photos as it helps to refresh my memory.

If that does not help, the close off the boat, tape down hatches and possible windows. YOu will need then to cover the companionway with plastic taped down, slit it to insert a leaf blower and turn on. You are in a sense pressurizing the cabin. Have a bucket of good soapy water and brush and have a friend brush every fitting with a brush and where air bubbles are coming out, there you will find a leak. Hope this helps.

Tim22

Jun 16, 2014
Hunter 310 Ottawa
Check where the aft wall of the anchor well joins the deck. On my 1997 Hunter 310 the well wall had separated from the deck allowing water to pour in. I didn't see it until I stuck my head right down into the anchor well. I'm guessing the design of the 1996 29.5 is not that different from the 1997 310

Tim

Twille

Oct 8, 2012
Hunter 38 Henderson, nc
It is with out a doubt the windshield/skylight. Ours leaked when rain was forcast, and not even on site yet. It comes in and runs down the head liner to the teak strip at the aft edge of the bunk most of it will run directly to the bilge but a fair amount will puddle on the bunk and under the cup holders in the corners.
Check for rot in the cup holders and in the floor of the storage area underneath the seats by the bow bunk. At the base of the rainbow so to speak.....
Our 29.5 was a 94 the life span of the seal is about 20 years according to Dow.
You will need to take the sky light out and rebed it with Dow 795. There is a thread on this that describes the process. It's really not to bad to do with some patience
Tom. H295 Discipleship and now H38 Godspeed

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Twille;
Are you on Kerr Lake or in Virginia it is referred to as Bugs Island. Specifically, are you at Steele Creek? Left a lot of friends there and with the previous manager gone was wondering how things are going there?

Sep 24, 2016
Hunter Cherubini 30 Cayuga Lake
Bruce Merit? I have a Merit 25 in addition to my Cherubini, interested in buying it? LoL :laugh:

My experience with Hunters is the Toe Rail, Tighten all bolts/nuts (yep 2 person job from above an below). and then spread a bead of 3M 5200 along the rail on the deck. Use a rubber glove and smooth the calk as you go. I'm thinking that will do the trick! Also, check the Engine compartment cover in the cockpit, mine leaked and it flooded the bilge.

Twille

Oct 8, 2012
Hunter 38 Henderson, nc
Twille;
Are you on Kerr Lake or in Virginia it is referred to as Bugs Island. Specifically, are you at Steele Creek? Left a lot of friends there and with the previous manager gone was wondering how things are going there?
I am at Steele Creek, live down the road so Kerr lake it is! It is going well with the new management. I have picked up on of the 38's you sold into the marina. Sold my 29.5 here.

Twille

Oct 8, 2012
Hunter 38 Henderson, nc
Bruce Merit? I have a Merit 25 in addition to my Cherubini, interested in buying it? LoL :laugh:

My experience with Hunters is the Toe Rail, Tighten all bolts/nuts (yep 2 person job from above an below). and then spread a bead of 3M 5200 along the rail on the deck. Use a rubber glove and smooth the calk as you go. I'm thinking that will do the trick! Also, check the Engine compartment cover in the cockpit, mine leaked and it flooded the bilge.
The 29.5 has a sealed flange seam at the deck with a molded toe rail. No bolts