Leaks....

dneill

Mar 25, 2018
O'Day 25 North East Md
I have an Oday 25 that has been out of the water since October. When I went down to the marina where it is kept the other day I discovered about 7-8 gallons of water in the hull of the boat. My two port side cushions were soaked and a small portion of the port side v-birth cushion was damp. I see absolutely no evidence of a leak from above the cushions. Unfortunately the water isn't turned on yet at the marina so I haven't been able to do a water test...I'm just wondering what the primary suspect would be from those of you who have had similar symptoms.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Suspect all deck hardware, windows, chainplates etc. The inner liner makes it tough to find leaks.

Mar 18, 2019
Irwin 32 Corpus Chiristi, TX
I think you're saying it's still out of the water? I had that happen. Unfortunately it turned out to be portholes....3 of them anyway. I saw no evidence of this, until it rained while I was staying aboard.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Yup.. Ports and chainplates are the usual suspects.. Ports being the lead culprits.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Check every deck penetration. They are notorious for leaking.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
When I pulled my O’Day 322 for the season, the bilge was dusty dry. After sitting on the hard for a month or so, I found a fair amount of water in the bilge....

I started rebedding stancions last night...then deck fills...then ....

Greg

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I've been fighting deck leaks on my 192. I started by replacing the fixed portlights, re-bedding mast step, then last season I replaced the toe rails and rebedded stanchions. I had worse leaking after all that, but then again last summer was super rainy for us. When I hauled out, I checked the rubrail, knowing that's the only other thing left to try for the area I had leaking above the quarterberth. I also knew the rubrail had been damaged since I bought the boat. The rubrail moved up and down, so I knew that the fasteners were loose, and a new rubrail was in my future. What I didn't expect to find were MANY extra holes in the problem area! Ya think this is where I was leaking? In this pic you can see 4 holes in the rubrail, but how many extra in the hull to deck joint? WTH? I count at least 7 extra holes! Rudy expects more rubrail to arrive in a week or so, so I may just take some vacation days to drive up to MA and pick it up, rather than having him roll it up in a box. I may strap 20' of PVC pipe to a 2x4 on the roof rack, keeping it all straight. Or maybe roll it into a larger coil in the back of the car, haven't decided yet...
IMG_0332.jpg

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I acquired a beat up 420 from a local sailing school when I was 14. My parents rented a pickup and we brought it to the backyard to work on it. The rub rails were all cracked so I removed them. A few months later my friend and I went for a sail. He wanted to capsize and in those days I could be on the center/dagger board before the mast touched the water. It was hot out so when that mast did hit the water I jumped in. By the time I swam around I could see the stern had dropped significantly. I hopped on the centerboard but I knew something wasnt right. The boat began to turtle. After some struggling I managed to get it upright. It was incredibly unstable. The whole boat was flopping back and forth as the hull filled with water. I had my friend swim to shore to go get help. Some how I managed to get the thing to stay upright even though the only part of the hull above water was the first three feet of the bow. I knew that there was no way I could make it back to the beach so I made a crash landing on the rocky shore. I pulled the heavy boat up as much as I could. Two teenage staff members, a heavy duty all terrain golf cart and my friend arrived shortly after. We hooked the bow upto the golf cart but its' tires just spun. I tried pushing the stern while everyone else pulled from the bow but still no luck. An hour and a half later four teenagers and a golf cart managed to pull it halfway out of the water. We knew there was no way we could get it up the steep banks of the lake but enough water had drained out that I could sail it back. And that's how I learned that hull to deck seals sometimes need mechanical and adhesive based fastening.

Ritdog

Jul 18, 2011
Oday 25 Portland, ME
Ports. I had a HAIRLINE separation of the sealant 1/4" long at the top of the rear port, and that was enough to let a quart of water in when it rained....just wicked right in. Drove me nuts. The ports themselves are sealed , somehow electrowelded or something. The acrylic is not replaceable.