Leaking Lexan Main Hatch

Apr 18, 2017
Hunter 26.5 Brick, New Jersey
I just purchased Capt Lucky's 26.5 and am currently doing the "fix the stuff" prior to the spring to get her launched down the shore. I have three known leaks, the biggest one is from the cracked lexan sliding main hatch cover. Has anyone heard of this on their Hunter 26.5? At this time there are bowls under the leaks, the main hatch leak has been followed by the surveyor down to the cabin cabinet under the counter in the galley starboard of the ladder coming down. The wood is water stained and the hinges are actually rusted, the interior of the cabinet shows water has collected on the shelves and deck and sat, all minor work to repair but I'd love to have the leak stopped so it can be repaired. Has anyone got details on this hatch assembly? I can't see a cracked lexan water leak causing all that water to come in, I mean we're talking an inch long, not the entire panel. My thoughts after reading posts on a leak there, is maybe those drains are clogged and the water is running into the cabin rather than draining out. This is the problem leak. My other is a leak from the corner of a seat in the cockpit, runs down the seat mold into the aft berthing just behind the companionway ladder. The next one is a solar ventilator fan on the forward hatch, the fan has stopped working, but there is evidence that water has entered there and dripped down into the bowl below, the wood is water stained with drips showing. Now these two leaks are easy to fix, a little epoxy on the seat, and replacing the ventilator fan with a working one, and to seal it properly.

Thanks on behalf of No Excuses, Evan

Apr 18, 2017
Hunter 26.5 Brick, New Jersey
Well, I’m back after getting No Excuses to my marina...the thing is, it’s July 4th and after several false starts, she’s splashing sometime this week. I examined the main hatch and there is no drain there, apparently leaves get into everywhere and cause the water to go the way the leaves are lined up. I dug out leaves from the entire hatch slide, and now the amount of water is negligible and nothing to worry about. The crack is still there, but the plan is to still replace the lexan hatch, as this one is badly scratched and crazed. Forward ventilation fan is being ordered as it was out of stock, the “seat leak” is not the seat per se, it’s the screws in the fuel compartment that are leaking, am looking for the rubber stops that the screws are holding to make the compartment cover(the seat) sit correctly closed. Also replacing all the rubber stops under all the seat hatches, plus the main hatch stops which look like white rock candy...anyway she’s getting her bottom painted and she’s been pressure washed from the deck to the waterline, and I have a clean white boat again.