Leaking in back lazorettes

Jun 7, 2012
Hunter 456 Port Canaveral
We are accumulating salt water in our back lazerettet when we are motoring only. Does anyone have this issue or have a fix or can help me trouble shoot this?

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Only while motoring makes me think engine cooling system or exhaust. Do any of those hoses run through the lazorette?

May 21, 2013
Hunter 410 Stuart
On my 410, the muffler chafed and finally leaked. It was not visible. I had to remove the muffler to find out about. You can see some pictures on my blog.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
I was just reading on Alctel's blog about Gudgeon where he had issues with the stuffing box for his rudder was leaking, but only under power: http://www.gudgeonblog.ca/?p=1563

I had mine replaced several years ago and now no longer have any seepage in the aft sections of my bilge, the rudder post would be another area to consider, it's another hole in the boat.

Dan

Feb 6, 2010
hunter passage456 kemah
Leaking in aft lazzerette

We have a 2002 passage 456 and we too have been accumulating salt water in aft lazerttes, looked to several places for the leak, pretty sure now is coming from the joint where the engine exhaust hose attaches to the tube to expel the exhaust water. I tried tightining the hose clamps, no go, then tried epoxying around the joint, nope, so I think I must have a small tear in the hose somewhere prior to the hose clamps. I pur paper towels all over the area and only ones come back wet are those around the hose clamp area of exhaust. For now have installed a bilge pump to evacuate the water and will work on replacing the exhaust hose at lay up. Just recently also noticed water under engine in the sump, traced it to a small tear in exhaust hose attached at mixing elbow, had to replace the hose from muffler to mixing elbow, 28 bucks a foot and it took 4 feet. So I think I'm on the right track regarding the aft leak.

Aug 31, 2009
Hunter Hunter 466 San Leandro, CA
We have a 2003 Hunter 466 and have had a phantom leak in the aft and going into the bilge. It recently got really bad. I finally trace it to a tear in the hose as it attached to the molded thru hull of course on the back side. We ended up taking off the hose (not an easy nor fun task) and cutting off at the tear which was just above the hose clamps and then putting the hose back on (more difficult).

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I had a hull/deck joint at the aft water line. It would leak when motoring because the stern is under water then. But that water would go between the hull and deck and end up in the bildge.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
Just found my leak into the lazarette. The water intake deck flange had no seal and only minimal sealant. It would leak down the intake hose and then leak into the aft cabin via the rudder shaft nylon bearing.