Leaking Hull??

Mar 11, 2019
Hunter 23 Knoxville
Hello All,
I have a 1989 Hunter 23 that water seems to be leaking into the cabin sump. I have attached photos.
When I try to remove the accumulated water with a large sponge, I can actually see water running from the 1/2" hole in the fore of the cabin sump (closeup of hole shown in pic).
I cannot seem to find the source of this water. Does anyone have any ideas about where this water might be coming from?
Btw, I am new to the forum and want to say thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Does anyone have any ideas about where this water might be coming from?
Does your boat have a fresh water tank? Is it located in the bow? Perhaps the tank is leaking, or a tank fitting? I'm assuming you keep your boat in fresh water?

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Assuming it's rain water, one trick is to close everything up and connect a shop vac (set up to blow) or an electric leaf blower to pressurize the boat. Use ductdtape to attempt to seal around the air input. Now soapy water and a sponge will make bubbles wherever the leaks are.

Ken

Mar 11, 2019
Hunter 23 Knoxville
My boat does not have a fresh water tank.
It is probably rain water since we are having records amounts of rain here. Thanks so much for both replies. I'm going to try to get all the water out using a small electric pump, then bird-dog the leakers.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Is your mast in front of that limber hole where you see water flowing? If so it could be rain water flowing down the inside of your mast and through the deck step where the mast wires enter the boat. Check the mast step weep hole to make sure it is not clogged causing rain water to flow into the cabin. Spoken from experience.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
+1 to Dave. I always have that issue when I first put her in the water after the winter storage. I just keep sucking it out until no more comes out. For the most part, once in the water for the season, I get only very little back in that bilge area.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
sent him a private message with phone number to call can sum it up quickly what to do plus I was a dealer handling the Knoxville area.

Mar 11, 2019
Hunter 23 Knoxville
Both great responses, and I really appreciate the feedback. I will check the mast deck and continue to sponge the water out. It has been in winter storage and maybe it will "dry-out" as I continue to remove the accumulated water.