Leaking fixed windows

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
Hey everyone,
It’s been along time since I’ve been on the forum. After surviving hurricane Irma and all those dams, I settled back into “normal life”. We still love our boat and we are still working to make it better. One issue has to do with the fixed Windows. They leak...I know, big surprise. Do we need to take them out or can we chalk around them? We are certainly open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Marilyn

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
To do it right, they should come out and be rebedded. Be careful though so you don't break them. We paid someone to do the 3 on Bella when we bought her.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
You can rig a temporary fix with a quick re-caulk but ultimately, you'll need to get it done so it doesn't leak again for a very long time..
You Tube is your friend:
. This guy does it correctly..

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Ito.d a friend about Flex a Seal and he did not want to remove his side windows so yes he used flex seal in quart can masking tape and very happy no longer leak.
Nick

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Hey everyone,
It’s been along time since I’ve been on the forum. After surviving hurricane Irma and all those dams, I settled back into “normal life”. We still love our boat and we are still working to make it better. One issue has to do with the fixed Windows. They leak...I know, big surprise. Do we need to take them out or can we chalk around them? We are certainly open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Marilyn
I know that earlier Catalinas (27 and 30) have windows known for leaking, but I had not heard of a 310 with that problem.

Let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Butyl tape is great for a lot of things, but since our fixed windows don’t have a mechanical clamp holding them in I don’t think it would work well there.
Hmmm, My oval Lewmar ones have an aluminum plate backing them. For those big ones the 795 is the way to go.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Hmmm, My oval Lewmar ones have an aluminum plate backing them. For those big ones the 795 is the way to go.
You're right, of course. Butyl tape would work great on the oval ones with frames. I was thinking of the big ones on the cabin top. Not sure which ones Marilyn was talking about.

May 10, 2012
Catalina 310 Bayport
I replaced my fixed port lights last year......Dow 795 was a great adhesive to use.
Product used to install office tower windows.
Was quoted $800 for 2 port lights by my marina.
Dow 795 was $8 a tube ( 1 per window ).....1/4" smoked acrylic was $220 for 4'x8' sheet.
Enough for 8 long port windows.
Very happy with the end result.....motivated by all the great postings on this forum!
I hope to get around to posting all the pictures taken to undertake the task......researched for 2 years before I got the guts to do it.....wasn't as intimidating as I originally thought......great spring task.

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
Before you do all that, try tightening the screws around perimeter. If they are loose you might reduce or eliminate the leakage by simply tightening them. Worked for me anyway.
bob

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Hey everyone,

Thanks,
Marilyn
Do they leak in rain or spray, or just when heeled over? My wife likes to watch the fish swim by when the rail is almost under.