Leaking and soft wood help

Jack75

Oct 31, 2018
Catalina 22 Westbrook
Hi everyone, took the bulkhead out this morning and found the leak source. The good news is the deck is solid no other issues that I can see. Took the bulkhead home to dry out and will see if I can just apply export to repair vs cut new. It wasn’t too bad and that looks like the only leak. I temporarily sealed the chain plate hole on the deck with sealant tape. I will upload a few photos. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
If you want to re-use the bulkhead molding on your new plywood - try tapping it with a block of wood with a hammer parallel to the existing bulkhead. It should tap right off, but it can be a little tricky - take it easy with it. If it cracks, I was able to just glue it back together after placing on the new bulkhead. Also, you might think of not drilling the new chainplate bolt holes, and bulkhead bottom attachment bolts, until you do a test fit of the new bulkhead, and actually do a test drop of the chainplate to the correct level back down through the deck. When I re-seated my new bulkheads, I probably should have been a small bit more aggressive with a rubber mallet, getting it to a tighter fit against the hull. Good luck with the project.

Last edited:

Jack75

Oct 31, 2018
Catalina 22 Westbrook
Thanks for the tips will remove the molding with your technique and definitely do the dry fit! Thanks for the help.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Even if you break the molding into several pieces, it can be successfully put back together:

Oh, and be patient with butyl tape if you use it in cold weather. It will take quite a few snuggings (that's a new word right there) of the fasteners to get the material all compressed and squeezed out. Don't rush it. You can always put the final snugging (there it is again!) on them in the spring.