leak

Sep 3, 2012
Catalina 310 Marina del Rey, CA
We've had a lot of rain here in LA and after each storm there is fresh water in the bilge. The water is in the forward section of the bilge. I've looked for a water trail and signs of leaking and have found none, but water is coming from somewhere. I'm hoping someone has a solution. Thanks, Cloyd

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Is it also in the bilge area just aft of the forward berth? Maybe coming in from your anchor locker so check under the forward berth and see if it's coming from that direction. Just a thought. I know you said that it is after each storm but check your fresh water tank connections as well just in case.

Sep 3, 2012
Is it also in the bilge area just aft of the forward berth? Maybe coming in from your anchor locker so check under the forward berth and see if it's coming from that direction. Just a thought. I know you said that it is after each storm but check your fresh water tank connections as well just in case.
Thanks for the help

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Same thing here in Santa Cruz: lots of rain and some getting into the bilge. I'm pretty sure it's coming down the mast with the wires, based on some paper towels I left at various places getting damp or not. I don't know how Catalina runs the wires at the base of the mast on the 310, but that's a very likely spot. Chain plates are also possible suspects, unless they've been "fixed" and have a good seal, although that usually is an obvious leak.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If it's coming from the mast, check to be sure the weep hole(s) in the tabernacle are clear. It's possible that the base is filling up and over the riser for the wires. Just a thought. I re-bed my tabernacle, cleared the weep hole and extended the height of the riser. Also planning on a drip loop in my wire cables when we step the mast.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
If it's coming from the mast, check to be sure the weep hole(s) in the tabernacle are clear. It's possible that the base is filling up and over the riser for the wires. Just a thought. I re-bed my tabernacle, cleared the weep hole and extended the height of the riser. Also planning on a drip loop in my wire cables when we step the mast.
Justin, is that on a 310, or a Hunter 30T (from your signature block)? I've never seen inside of the mast base, although PaulJ's picture is instructive (https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?attachments/5demast-jpg.127394/). Seems like you could get easily water down that compression tube.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
That was on my 30T but the setup is pretty common. Paul's setup is different. The tabernacle shouldn't trap water (I think) but you're right. That's a direct path to down below

Sep 3, 2012
Thanks for you responses. When I have the bottom painted then I can re-bed the tabernacle, but first I'll check the weep holes. These are new to me. I'm guessing they are between the tabernacle and the deck.

Cloyd

Sep 3, 2012
I checked for weep holes in the tabernacle and didn't find any. Where would the weep holes be? My boat is 17 years old and this is a new problem. Seems something, like a sealant, has worn out.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I checked for weep holes in the tabernacle and didn't find any. Where would the weep holes be? My boat is 17 years old and this is a new problem. Seems something, like a sealant, has worn out.
I haven't seen any weep holes on my C310. I assume you have checked the portlights. If the gaskets get dirty, they will drip a bit.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
CL I have looked at the manual. It did not show if your Mast is set as a deck step or through the deck and stepped on the keel. Weep holes are drilled in the side of the mast when it is deck stepped. Water will enter the mast. It travels down the wires, sides of the mast, or the halyards and the conduits. The weep holes provide a path of escape for the water to exit the mast and onto the deck. Assure that the wires in the mast have a drip loop when it is stepped.
If Keel stepped water does find the bilge.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
If you put a drip loop in the wires or cables coming from the mast ....well you will have to remove mast to repair or change any wires and cables in the mast.......you can't pull a cable that is in a drip loop........where do you think the water from the drip loop goes?

The reason for a bilge is for water to drain to..........
Here is a picture or two of where the post or pipe ends and goes to bilge.

paulj :hook2:

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have a deck stepped mast. When removed for refitting I cleaned the deck, resurfaced the base, fitted the two pipes and short lengths of hoses to create the drip loops in the mast and limit the possibilities for water to come down the mast base. Then weep holes on the bottom of the mast so the water escapes the mast and drains away.
IMG_0439.JPG IMG_0438.JPG