Leak from deck in area of the hanging locker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 23, 2009
Hunter 30 Middle River MD
We took part in the Sippy Cup this weekend, sort of an in Gov cup for the rest of us. In any case to our surprise we got decent winds most of the race and extraordinary winds on the way home. More about that in another post.

While racing we noticed more activity from the bilge pump than I am used to. Having had a strange source once before I checked the exhaust and raw water supplying the whole engine room. Found the stuffing box is leaking more than it should so a few minutes with a wrench set will solve that.

However also found we have. Small leak at the hanging locker. Have checked all the usual culprits but none seem to be the cause. The hand rails were rebeddded last year and seem unlikely. While the porthole in the locker is suspect there was no obvious dampness around it. The toe rail while perhaps loose showed no leakage as I touched and later used a camera to look at its bolts.

Oddly it effects only the hanging locker. The dry storage nearer the saloon is dry. The carpet where the chain plates are attached to the hull seems completely dry.

Deck was a wash several times duri g the race not because we buried the rail but waves that broke over the deck with it close to the waterline when healed.

The only thought I can comeup with that seems to explain the facts and the leak is the port is leaking but not to the inside but between the coach roof and the interior liner. In turn this saturates the core which in turn ultimately drips out at some point onto the locker floor and ultimately to the sole of the boat and thence to the bilge.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated. She is a 77 Hunter 30.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
If it only happens when you put the rail in the water, I'ld suspect the toe rail. If it also happens when it rains or you wash the deck, I'ld think the portlites are a likely source. I've had portlites leak in two different ways:
1. From a leak at the outer trim into the core and down the backside of the cabin liner. Solution is re-bed the trim, but you may need to deal with saturated cabin top core too.
2. One of the little spigots that drain the portlite sprang a leak and was effectively funneling water directly into the space between the cabin top and cabin liner, and running three feet aft on the liner before appearing in the cabin. No sign of a leak immediately around the portlite. My solution was to plug the offending spigot with sealant. Just have to remember to put a towel below if I open the portlite with water standing in it.

Aug 23, 2009
Hunter 30 Middle River MD
What you said helped clarify my thinking it appears to be happening in either case rain or spray saturating the area so it appears its the port that may be the route the water is taking.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I would suggest that you get some help and tighten all of the bolts on the toe rail.

Typically the deck/hull joint was put together with butyl caulk. This stuff stays pliable so tighting usually takes care of the problem. It is a good time to re bed the chain plates too.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
I also concur with Steve Dion's and Dalliance's observations to tighten the toe rail bolts. Even if this isn't the source of your current leak, if the toe rail bolts have never been tightened, the toe rail / deck /hull joint is bound to be structurally loose and leak prone. As Steve stated, butyl caulk is amazing stuff. On my boat it was still pliable when I tightened the bolts several years ago. 25 years after the boat's construction the butyl actually squeezed out of the joints.

Here is a link to a 2009 thread with more info and DIY tips on the topic. The thread was in response to a Cherubini Hunter 30 owner that had similar lead issues to yours.

http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=601448&highlight=toe rail socket

Status
Not open for further replies.