Leaf Springs Hunter 23.5

Aug 5, 2005
- - Laurel, Ms
This is sort of a dumb question but I'll go anyway...
did the leaf springs on the trailer of a hunter 23.5 ever have an upward arch to them like all leaf springs I've ever seen do. Every one I see the springs are almost flat across to the hangers.
Is this somehow normal for the 23.5? They always look to me like the springs are too weak, or are worn completely out and are sagging badly.
again should the springs have an upward arch (like a smile) instead all the ones I see are almost level straight across.....or even a little inverted (frown) like they are too loaded.....

looking at buying this boat, would look into new springs and possibly axle/axles
after I got it home. Just wondering if existing springs would pull the 5 1/2 to 6 hour trip home...

thanks
James

Attachments

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Different springs have different amounts of arch to them. Custom springs can be bent to any angle that you want to accommodate specific purposes. Beaten down springs, that are not rusted badly nor cracked, can be re-arched by a custom spring house. I used to use Standard Spring Corporation in Patterson NJ for this purpose. Flat springs are normal in some automotive applications. Front axle springs in tractor tailors are sometimes flat.

Springs can be considered a wear item on a boat trailer. They are commonly replaced. Replacements should be an off-the-shelf item at most trailer parts supply stores. Normally you spec out a boat trailer spring by distance between mounting holes & weight capacity. The weight capacity is normally matched to the axle in use.

If you jack up the trailer by the frame & the springs get their bend back, then the trailer may be overloaded. If they don't bend back, then the springs may be beat. I don't see a lot of clearance between your axle hangers & your frame. That makes me think that you probably have a problem that should be addressed. It's also possible that the axle was originally mounted below the springs & a previous owner swapped it to the top to get the trailer to sit lower for easier boat launching at the expense of proper clearance for bumpy road travel. A guy at a trailer shop can probably look at what you have & give you a more valid opinion that I can.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
You need new springs

Look closely at the axle as well. Many owners have replaced theirs. The axle was probably the week link in those trailers.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Hunter made the trailer for the 23.5 but they were leaf springs using those style hangers. However I think what is seen are not the original leaf springs due to length. I feel that you need to replace them immediately as there is not much clearance with the frame. I was involved with the design of that trailer

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
When you replace the springs don't even bother trying to remove the nuts from the bolts. Get a reciprocating
saw and cut them. be aware that the U bolts on the axle are under tension and will pop when cut. They don't fly away but it will startle you if your not prepared for it.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Moving family and Will write Sunday as I am out of town. Moving entire house at old fartitis age and boy I am whooped