Lazyjacks kits

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Trevor

I am considering adding lazyjacks to my C36 TR to make it easier to drop the mainsail when singlehanding the boat. The expensive options are made by Harken and Schaefer. I also see cheaper kits made by Sail Care (called the Sail Cradle) or those offered by Sailnet. I've also heard of lazyjack kits by Wichard and EasyJax. I am leaving for a trip in less than 2 weeks and don't have time to make them myself (or thoroughly research their respective merits, so any help is appreciated!). Does anyone have any opinions or experiences to share with any of these prefabbed lazyjack kits? I have a new full battened mainsail and do not want to alter my sailcover. I also like the idea of retractable jacks to stay out of the way when not in use. Thanks in advance! Trevor

B

bob

lazy jacks

Don't know about kits,etc. But, on my 34 Catalina, when I put it up in the winter, I tie on an additional line so that I can back feed it through the upper rings thereby making the 4 segments of line on each side so loose as to be able to be gathered where the mast and boom meet.(I do it to get them out of the way so as to use the boom as a center support for a tarp) You could accomplish the same thing by starting out with a longer line to start with. The result would be that you can use your sailcover without modifying it! Mine is modified. I too have a full battened main but once its tied down after it falls in place the lazy jacks have done their job and could be pulled forward and tied off.

W

Walt

Lazy Jacks

I just installed a set of Schaefer Lazy Jacks and am not real happy with them. I have a C-30 without full batten main. The problem i have with Schaefer is that it mounts very high on the mast and has only two lines to the boom. my sail tends to fall out between the two lines. If I had it to do over I would have bought a set of ezjacks with three lines to the boom for sail support. I bought the schaefer's because they can be brought back to the mast so you don't have to recut your sail cover. The ezjacks will also retract to the mast.

L

Les Murray

My Harkens are retractable

Trevor, The lazy jacks that came on my 86 C-36 TR are retractable. Basically, they mounted on turning blocks located just below the spreaders. One end of the line connects to a small block and the other end I tie off on a cleat on the base of the mast. I have another line laced under the boom and up to the blocks creating the "cradle" for the sail. When I lower the sail and cover it, I undo the cleated end of the jacks and put on the cover. Seems pretty basic but it works. Les Murray s/v Ceilidh 86 C-36 #560

M

Matt Boulton

I went with EZJax

Trevor: I went through this same drill last year, looking for a simple, reliable system that would retract when not in use and allow me to use my normal sail cover without modifications. I ended up choosing EZJax, especially after getting a number of strong endorsements from current users. You can check them out at their website: www.ezjax.com.

H

Hayden Watson

2nd the EZ-Jax

I agree with Matt. EZ- jax is the best system out there.

G

gary jensen

TR 36 Lazy jacks

I had a 36 TR on S.F. Bay for six years. They worked very well and I NEVER had a problem with them. They were the easy jacks....My new set up is furled in mast main....Even better!!!!

A

Art Golden

lazyjack kits

Go for the Dutchman system. Its cheaper and easy to install. Works just fine while singlehanded sailing.

J

Jerry

Mack Pack

Just a few words about the system I installed on my Catalina 36. It is called the Mack Pack from Mack Sails in Florida. The system works well and it incorporates a mainsail cover, so i no longer have to put the cover on or store it, a nice feature. the system works with your existing main and comes with a video for installation which is simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.