Lazy Jacks

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I don’t care how many gadgets you have to help pack the sail away, it’s hard to do that with a beer in hand. Thus, the said beer waits till the chores are done. Maybe I see a potential money making invention for a new gadget. :stir:
I think that your neighbors to the south have that covered.

Attachments

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Does anybody use lazy jacks?

I plan to sail the boat by myself and am concerned about keeping the main under control when I drop it.
I have used them. They can be a bit in the way unless you do a good job of setting them up properly.

I find them more useful on bigger boats. When single handing a boat the size of yours without an auto pilot, I am more likely to head the boat into the wind out in open water while under motor power, then lash the tiller, then drop the main & throw a couple of bungees around it real quick, then get back to the tiller before I find myself too far off course.

I would be more likely to put the money towards an auto pilot rather than lazy jacks, but that's just me.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I would be more likely to put the money towards an auto pilot rather than lazy jacks, but that's just me.
Yes yes yes yes... Autopilot makes singlehanding so much easier.

I have retractable jacks - they're not out when deploying the main. Like them alot. I don't think I'd want them on a smaller boat.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
On my smaller boat, lazy Jacks was the 3rd best thing I ever did on the boat. I sail alone, and I find lazy jacks to be a life saver. I made my own. They do not raise up or down. They attach on the mast as high as I can reach. They normally are slack. When I drop the main, the boom drops and they pull tight. They are adjusted so the boom just clears the top of the cabin. Because they attach low on the mast, it is not problem raising the sail and not having it catch. Even if it does, I can easily reach the sail and center it. I would say that is the main trick on a small boat. Don't go crazy and make them mount too high. Just make it catch the sail, so you have a basket to prevent the sail from falling all over the boat and into the water.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I don’t care how many gadgets you have to help pack the sail away, it’s hard to do that with a beer in hand. Thus, the said beer waits till the chores are done. Maybe I see a potential money making invention for a new gadget. :stir:
...and there it is. The damm gauntlet gets tossed down just before the snow flies in earnest, and things get really really quiet up here, until the shop doors open.....